Author Topic: A few suggestions :)  (Read 4536 times)

Offline Ouuka

• Ramine's Nuudel
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 76
  • Burp
    • Blue-Rakuen
    • SliferBeau
    • View Profile
    • Blue-Rakuen DA
A few suggestions :)
« on: May 15, 2012, 04:58:54 am »
Just a few suggestions of things possibly done on the forum here. Mainly things that i do on my other forums XD

Help Board : When a question is answered to be locked and the Title set to "What ever the title is or question" [Solved]

Along with that, this is a minor suggestion, But if the question is new and something not asked before, for it to be added to the Big Help Thread, this way the question can be guided to a specific spot instead of continually answering it, as well many check that thread first (or can be guided more to check that thread if its updated) this way hopefully cuts back on the help threads posted.

Now i know that wont do to much since you always get the members that panic first and dont read through the posts to see if its been answered. I felt this would be a better way to organize things cuz i know at times i dont even wanna go through the millions of Help threads to find a question i might've had or question i might be tempted yet again to post.

Cleaning of forum: Possible clean every week or end of month of old help threads or toics no longer in use, to cut back on the forums overcrowd of posts/threads. Keeps things cleaner and easier to find.

Lawlz these are minor changes, and yes alot of work at times, i only suggest them since im uber picky on how clean my forums are and clean em every week cuz i love organizing rather then searching all day XD Mind my OCD for forums ^^

Offline VexedCourage

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
Re: A few suggestions :)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 09:13:17 am »
I like the [Solved] idea. However that would only create more work for the team and I'm sure they've already their hands full lol.

I like the forum cleaning idea, a lot. Every month sounds like a good idea so that things don't pile up.

CloudFish

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 01:13:33 pm »
As sort of stated before, would be lots of work. Though the locking of solved thread would be great, as the posting of solved questions is others is quite annoying.

CloudFish

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 03:16:33 pm »
-fail double mobile posting-
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 03:19:52 pm by CloudFish »

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 03:42:26 pm »
There's quite a few reasons why things are like they are at the moment.

Even though it's always nice to have cleaner, more smaller boards, they payout is really bad for both the staff and the ones in the community. The views of this might not be exactly the same for everyone, but let me explain.

Locked/solved threads.
When it comes to the locking of threads with a solved matter, this is probably the one that's most likely that we'd be able to do if requested, but when a thread is locked no user is able to reply to it. Even if bumping/necroing of threads is half of the time not wanted, the thread would automatically move back on the list and become non actual and if someone wanted to point out for example that they have the same problem but do not understand how to sort it still, or their case is slightly different, maybe even an extra comment towards the one having issue etc. This would not be possible since it would be in fact, locked and to be fair, it would be better off removed completely which also is a bad idea compared to letting it lay around which I will derp about later in le post. Also keep in mind that some very nice members of the community(<3 makes our work so much easier) answers a lot of these questions, and mods might not check up on the exact thread which means several mods would probably need to check every thread to ensure which ones that should have the "solved" message to it or not.

Help thread.
It would be close to unnecessary work done if uncommon questions are put into it because they were asked. This is really a matter of work in general/how often it would be used/read. The big help thread tries to be rather direct about some of the most common issues and not a sea of everything that could arrive. If the question is big and common enough, maybe a request to us to consider to add "this" specific question and answer to the thread so it could be viewed upon or quoted. This is something I've not heard from any member since the thread was added to the board though.

Cleaning out the board.
This is somewhat a pointless one if you'd ask me as long as the boards run well performance wise. Putting the time and energy into this that could've been better consumed elsewhere feels like going the wrong direction, since the boards will always turn back to where they were and I'm not saying this because I'm a lazy bum cause the mods would suffer more from it xD(derp). At times the forum is cleaned out and sorted on the main boards, but the majority of the sub board with several pages would be a time consumer, wanted content might disappear, post counts would be altered on auto and what else derpy thing out there, the gain would be a more slim board for a few weeks/months then it would be back again. The only reason I'd see this to be done would be because of performance issues on the forum, but as far as I know it should run alright.

1 page alone might feel different to the user, but 5 pages of threads doesn't make much of a difference compared to 20 pages of threads on a board. This is no way "blaming" things on the users or making up excuses, but to be fair, all the boards that are free for posting to the users in a some what big forum like FeralHeart, it will seem cluddy or unclean due to the amounts found. But all the new threads are place in front and always will be ensuring us of some sort of "actual" content. We've done mass cleanups in boards before, and I do not see how this actually helped us in a good way.

Also another thing about deletions of threads which you probably didn't know, is that the majority of threads that are deleted(unless they are spam posts) go into a temporary board before a permanent deletion, the reasons of this is because there's different mod levels with different powers on the forum but all mods should be able to delete, because we should be able to keep a thread for a while if we'd want/need to backtrack the content/poster, and being able to keep a users post count after the thread is deleted. I'm just pointing this out so you'd be able to understand easier how the work is done.

So to smudge my post.

Locking help threads: Rather not

Adding solved to every thread answered: If you feel it's very important and the rest of the staff agrees and actually does the work needed then why not, if they are unable to do it to the majority/all threads though it doesn't seem as worth though.

Big Help thread: Suggest questions to us that you think should be in there and we can look into if it suiting enough for the thread or not.

Cleaning out the forum: Depends in which manner, main boards with the majority being stickies or other child board, or boards with a lot of spotlight, certainly. Boards that will be filled quickly though would be a big time/energy waster and could mess wiff a few things.

Hope this covered thingies.

Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline Ouuka

• Ramine's Nuudel
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 76
  • Burp
    • Blue-Rakuen
    • SliferBeau
    • View Profile
    • Blue-Rakuen DA
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 05:15:23 am »
Thanks red for reading this though, and to add to some of your points

Also another thing about deletions of threads which you probably didn't know, is that the majority of threads that are deleted(unless they are spam posts) go into a temporary board before a permanent deletion, the reasons of this is because there's different mod levels with different powers on the forum but all mods should be able to delete, because we should be able to keep a thread for a while if we'd want/need to backtrack the content/poster, and being able to keep a users post count after the thread is deleted. I'm just pointing this out so you'd be able to understand easier how the work is done.

That i do know, as i said i do have my own forum i run, and i spend way to much time on it i think ^^; But yesh, i understand that the forum will not completely delete it unless a full on Admin of the fourms removes it, and like a computer you can delete but trash can needs to be emptied to :P I simply meant as important posts to be kept and unnecessary ones removed, so if someones like, oh hey cant log on, and answer is server is being a derp just wait. I find that as something that can be removed.

Along with that point, i understand you dont remove posts, i forgot that post counts determine alot on here XD my forum has same way, just non of us pay attention to forum post as our forum contains around 200 members rather then 2000+ XD.

Cleaning out the board.
This is somewhat a pointless one if you'd ask me as long as the boards run well performance wise. Putting the time and energy into this that could've been better consumed elsewhere feels like going the wrong direction, since the boards will always turn back to where they were and I'm not saying this because I'm a lazy bum cause the mods would suffer more from it xD(derp). At times the forum is cleaned out and sorted on the main boards, but the majority of the sub board with several pages would be a time consumer, wanted content might disappear, post counts would be altered on auto and what else derpy thing out there, the gain would be a more slim board for a few weeks/months then it would be back again. The only reason I'd see this to be done would be because of performance issues on the forum, but as far as I know it should run alright.

Ive always felt a cleaner forum helps it run faster, as in my forum runs better when less congestion is on it, but again why fix something that aint broke :P Possible future idea if forum ever shows signs of slowing down (proly when 300 million  members post) My forum clean OCD just likes clean organization

Help thread.
It would be close to unnecessary work done if uncommon questions are put into it because they were asked. This is really a matter of work in general/how often it would be used/read. The big help thread tries to be rather direct about some of the most common issues and not a sea of everything that could arrive. If the question is big and common enough, maybe a request to us to consider to add "this" specific question and answer to the thread so it could be viewed upon or quoted. This is something I've not heard from any member since the thread was added to the board though. 

Ive already started working on that awhile ago, as it was going to be my own Big Help thread, i know which questions are continually asked over and over again, which is why i suggested it, many things can be added to the thread, i just find it easier to direct someone somewhere rather then typing it out a million times. Most of the time i send them to a tutorial or the Tutorial list so they can look on how to fix odd problems. Perhaps Big thread can remain as is, and ill make a mini one on Tutorial list as a mini problem post. I guess i just get tired of seeing the heightmap issue lol repeatedly answered over and over again. (lol xD)

Lastly as for the Solved/Locked on threads. Its more because if a member is not suppose to post their problem in another persons question, why not just lock it, of course give it a few days for anyone to respond to or answer back. Not to mention i know staff will be unable to jump on things asap. Solved also helps members distinguish a problem they may have and to think "Hey that ones been solved maybe itll help me!" Rather then finding out it wasnt and been left with all the other empty questions that have been repeatedly asked.

Either way, just my thought on things, not that im saying HEY GET IT DONE B|   just thoughts :P OCD forums i iz ^^ Thanks anyways, and if anyone has their inputs on anything, feel free to post a reply :)

Offline Forests

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 33
  • Look in that pocket of yours
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 07:50:44 pm »
I don't overly like the [solved] idea, but the others seem cool ;3
No longer on the forums. Maybe around the game every now and again.

My DA
My creations

Offline SilverTW

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 54
  • Inactive account
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 09:41:46 pm »
Cool ides, cool ideas. But I agree with above

This account is no longer in use, and any messages sent to here will not be read. If you need to reach me, head to https://softdiamond.net

Specialized in FeralHeart Maps,Presets,Objects,Mods,Markings,Textures and MORE.
Video Maker and more!