Author Topic: Questions About Lineart:)  (Read 1835 times)

Offline EmptyHabits

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 9
    • CybrilSalvatore
    • Cybril 🐺
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
Questions About Lineart:)
« on: October 11, 2016, 09:52:10 pm »
Hello everyone! I love to draw, especially on the computer! I would never want to use lineart from DeviantArt and not take credit for it.
99% of my artwork on DeviantArt is lineart I got from someone else and traced it, but don't worry: I always link back to their account and let everyone know that the lineart belongs to them.

My question is:
I cannot, under any circumstances, draw without looking off of something. Sure I could look off a real photograph of a dog or something, but it's easier for me to draw when I'm looking off of lineart.

If I am drawing something on paper while looking off of an image on Google, would it be considered as my lineart? I didn't trace it or anything. My final artwork of MY lineart may look identical to the one I looked off of.

So, would it be my lineart? Since I didn't trace it. Or would I still have to credit the person I looked off of?

Offline Enoki

• Herba Chronographus
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
  • Who lives in a portabella under a tree?
    • FantasyFungus
    • EnokiTheDryphon
    • Enoki_G
    • View Profile
    • The Realms of Yugure
Re: Questions About Lineart:)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 10:06:03 pm »
Technically, 'tis y'er lineart, but when it looks identical or almost exact to a lineart that already exists, ye should give credit to the original image- even if that image is a real picture of an animal from Google. Hope this helps. Best of luck with y'er art.

Tmw you planned a ten minute nap but instead took a whole year.
☙Icon by dA JRProducts; Sig by PocketMutt❧

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 02:43:34 am »
Ay, well, I've taken a few art classes in my time, and there was always a piece of advice my teacher would give. He told us that yes, copying exactly from a photograph could be considered "stealing". The reason being is that the photographer put all the work into creating a composition and finding an object to photograph and therefore the photo still is their sole work. This is why you can see some photographs copyrighted. Now, you can't really copyright nature, so if you take the photo yourself or go out and observe from nature that's fine!

In order to avoid this "stealing", my teacher would encourage us to use the photo, but instead make it our own. So for example, if you were referencing a dog photo, then add something of your own, or change something or do something else to make the work your own. Of course, if you are only studying this photo for anatomy or pose, then this is also fine, as you are going to change the pose/anatomy into your character. Hope this helps ya out a bit. And when in doubt, always ask the artist/photographer for permission first! c:
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 02:48:48 am »
I like the advice Kynvuu left. Technically, the lineart would be yours if you weren't directly tracing it, but as long as you don't duplicate it exactly you should be fine. We all get our ideas from somewhere. That's just human nature. As long as you give credit where it's due, you'll be in the clear ^^
Good luck with your art
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline Aclediptus

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 48
  • Where are the Almond Doughnuts
    • aclediptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 12:31:51 pm »
Yes indeed, what Kynvuu pointed out is some pretty good advice. It's alright if it's meant for studies, but if ever you're looking at someone else's line art, You have to make sure that you make some differences to avoid problems with copyright or art theft. It's also good if you stylise it in such way that it serves as your identity, because that is what an art style is (but that's quite a reach from the basics).
I don't think you would need to credit an image from a search engine unless you're duplicating the thing or looking at people's unique characters or designs, in which case, would not be of your freedom to do so.
I personally don't depend on reference images but I can assure that you'll get used to it, eventually.

Currently retired floof

Find me on discord: Aclediptus#7160