Poll

Should we get rid of the karma option?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Karma  (Read 46643 times)

FoxfangPitbull

Re: Karma
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2011, 12:37:49 pm »
Someone's messing with my karma and I know who it is as well, so it's not too smart. I don't really touch the bite button, but when I do, I have a legit reason.

Babe

« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2011, 04:08:01 pm »
Maybe nuzzle/bite limit every 12 hours?

That sounds like a good idea. o:

Offline Zaroque

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 388
    • zaroqueart
    • View Profile
    • Zaroque's dA.
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2011, 06:50:49 pm »
Maybe nuzzle/bite limit every 12 hours?

Yes, perhaps you could use the Nuzzle every 10 hours (if it's possible)? Since I don't think a nuzzle is an ''abusive'' feature. x3
~ Z A R O Q U E ~
jaaaeeger
Art || DoE

Offline lugailover

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 56
    • View Profile
    • Foxes of Ireland
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2011, 12:17:27 pm »
I think we should, or give users the option to switch it on/off. So the people who want it on can have it on, and those who want it off can have it off.

well what if someone says somethin rude they will then turn off theyre karma and maybe bite people and turn it off before they can bite back.
whats karma for anyway?
just my opinion

Offline kahara

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 23
  • Assassin
    • View Profile
    • Impressive Hearts
« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2011, 02:10:57 pm »
Karma's useless. o3o Just to boost ego's or make a person feel bad over a small mistake. xDDD

You shouldn't care, because karma's not a big deal, but it should be put away IMO.
Nuzzle me if you agree with me!
Bite me if you love me. (;

Star

« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2011, 06:31:52 pm »
I voted 'yes.'

Having been on a few forums and run some myself, I would say I don't think "karma" is very appropriate. I'm sorry I haven't had time to read all of the posts, but here's my thoughts. I would just like to state that I am NOT mentioning anybody on FeralHeart personally in this post: I'm going to quote Garganator, but there is nothing written here personally about anybody. It is simply about my own experiences on other forums. :)

From what I have seen, it is pretty frequent that people nuzzle(exalt) their friends and it seems fairly easy to rationalise this with a "valid" reason. Is friendship really a good reason to boost points?
Smiting/biting people who might disagree with you or for personal reasons offsite is something that I have come across personally before.

I would think it is extremely easy for somebody who might disagree with the general tone of a thread to have their points knocked for seeming annoying or unamicable because they have ideas you reject, even if they state them politely, which is unfair. Again, I have witnessed this. The personal opinions of other users should NOT, in my opinion, directly affect your profile.

I also would like to comment that I think, no matter how open-minded you are, if you see somebody with "-90 karma" you are probably a little more likely to make negative assumptions about them as adverse to someone with high karma. We are all prone to being at least a little assumptive because that is human nature.

From what I gather, the main points of karma are to a) provide feedback to the user and/or b) display this feedback to others. (Considering it is not a private system viewable only to the user, but to the public as well, I would say it is both.)
The feedback to the user is hard not to take personally: "I feel achieved when I am nuzzled." What about if you were bitten? You'd probably feel the opposite, right? It's a system that need not be there: I would rather feel I'd achieved something because I did somebody a nice favour rather than recieving +1. It's a superficial and fictitious reward system and it is not an accurate representation of anyone. You cannot do a black-and-white sum of how "nice" and "helpful" somebody is because it is all in the eye of the beholder. In the past, even some people who I find extremely rude, callous, ungracious and downright annoying sometimes have a lot karma! No doubt, they probably feel very achieved and their egos very much stroked!

I also think karma veers dangerously in the direction of creating classes. I have seen people advertising virtual goods state in their own rules, "If your karma is in the -ves, do not apply. I can't trust you." Ouch!

In short, I definitely think we should get rid of karma. It doesn't serve much of a purpose, in my opinion, other than to create classes and unsupported projected images of people that are wholly inaccurate.

Oh, I would also just like to note that I have always had what I'd consider to be "high" karma, from what I remember.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 06:34:01 pm by Rach »

Tyki Mikk

« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2011, 09:24:50 pm »
^I cant agree more! Every word of this is pure truth.

Offline Sarine

• ~The Mysterious Cupcake or TMC~
  • Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 57
    • View Profile
    • Meep Home
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2011, 11:47:26 am »
Couldn't have said it better Star. :D

Long educational post is ftw. Can't agree more on the part of nuzzling friends and biting enemies. I've seen it happen a lot myself on other forums, especially on ProBoards where you can actually see who exalts/smites someone. It's definitely not what karma should be used for, although people still do it [I'm not referring to this site specifically]. Well, the exact opposite. From what I've seen, often, people who serve others, in many different ways like drawing for them or something like that, get a lot of karma. On the other hand, people who are actually being helpful and provide information, as well as pointing out the flaws in an opinion, rather receive bites than nuzzles, simply because some people cannot get over themselves and admit someone else is right apart themselves.

I think just this reason is enough to get rid of karma. Really, it does not do much other than just stroking people's egos, like it has been pointed out already.

Star

« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2011, 12:21:10 pm »
Couldn't have said it better Star. :D

Long educational post is ftw. Can't agree more on the part of nuzzling friends and biting enemies. I've seen it happen a lot myself on other forums, especially on ProBoards where you can actually see who exalts/smites someone.

Yeah; ProBoards forums are exactly what I mean, and toward the end of running my last one I disabled karma for the very reason it was being abused due to people's personal feelings. Heh, yes... my TL;DRish ramble is very TL;DRish, ha ha ha. :)

Offline Ruby1234

• Mean Tutorial Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 297
  • aka Phloxenfree.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2011, 01:14:30 am »
I think we should keep karma. It's usually how you say "Thank you" to people, or to show that you don't like something they did, or whatevah.

And if the Bite causes problems, get rid of the Bite option. Make it so we only have good karma.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 01:16:14 am by xRubyx »