Author Topic: How does one roleplay on Feralheart?  (Read 899 times)

Offline CottonJolly

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
How does one roleplay on Feralheart?
« on: May 20, 2018, 08:40:09 pm »
Hey. So I've played Feralheart several of years ago, and roleplaying seemed pretty casual back then, or maybe I just forgot what it was like. Now that I'm back, roleplaying seems really serious and I've had trouble getting into roleplays for fear of not "performing" at the standards everyone else here seems used to. I just want to be able to have fun and roleplay with people. Could someone help me understand the process of roleplaying in Feralheart nowadays? Does it depend on different types or levels of roleplaying?

I tried roleplaying with one group, but was told I was going too fast and had to wait for them to type. I became increasingly uncomfortable as I tried to roleplay with them and my younger sister, and moved my character when someone had roleplayed their character attacking mine, leading them to think I was powerplaying when that was not my intent. I would really like to have some fun with my sister and others roleplaying on Feralheart, but I've been really scared to try again because I don't want to ruin anyone's roleplay by doing it the wrong way. I would appreciate the help.

Offline CheesePizza

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • + glug glug glug
    • Cheesier-Pizza
    • View Profile
Re: How does one roleplay on Feralheart?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 09:47:15 pm »
Hi there!

For sure the roleplaying scene has changed immensely over the past few years. A lot of the players have grown up with this game, and therefore roleplay styles have matured.

A lot of RPers have much more to say than just one "box" (it excedes the maximum number of characters that FH permits in one message) so they will use a symbol to tell the person they are roleplaying with that they aren't finished their roleplay post. This might be indicated with a "-c-" (continuing), ">>" or ">" or other variations. Likewise, people will indicate that their post is finished with a "-d-" (done), "<<" or "<". If you try to post whilst they are still posting, ie have not indicated that they have finished, this could be what they mean by you're going too fast. Its also referred to as post cutting.

Some RPs also rely on a post order. This not only ensures that everyone who wants to be involved in the RP is involved, but helps to maintain order so that the roleplay is easier to follow. Say we have Person1, Person2, and Person3. It would make sense to post in the order Person1>Person2>Person3, right? And when Person3 is finished, it goes back to Person1. It would be unfair if Person1 posted and then Person3 cut in before Person2 could have a chance to respond.

These are just 2 basic constructs of modern roleplaying, which occur more in literate RPs than semi-literate in my experience. The only other understanding I can infer from going too fast would be rushing the storyline of whatever your roleplaying; remember to take your time and have fun!

I guess you could say there are different "levels" of roleplaying. Many roleplay groups classify themselves as either literate or semi-literate. Literate often means lots of descriptions, detail, and over 3 sentences long. Semi-lit is less tight around these and will mostly just focus on actions and speech, and might use punctuation to signify actions such as -(action)- or *(action)*. If you want to roleplay, I suggest figuring out which of these you fall into and observing advertisements in The Grounds (people will advertise in local chat or by movie clips usually). Semi-lit RPs can be a great starting point to experiment with your style or practice your roleplaying if you want to join a literate group in the future.

Lastly, don't let a failed RP knock your confidence! We've all had frustrating experiences with other players online. If a player is annoying you or being mean to you there is always the block feature at your disposal, and you can report player to the Moderators if a player is breaking the community rules and guidelines.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 10:04:06 pm by CheesePizza »

Offline CottonJolly

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 10:09:20 pm »
Thanks. This information is really helpful, and it's likely that next time I get on I'll see if I can find a semi-literate roleplay to join. :)

Offline CheesePizza

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • + glug glug glug
    • Cheesier-Pizza
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 10:33:46 pm »
Thanks. This information is really helpful, and it's likely that next time I get on I'll see if I can find a semi-literate roleplay to join. :)

No problem! Happy to help. :)  Good luck!