Author Topic: Multiple Roleplays  (Read 2275 times)

Offline CloudFeesh

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 10
    • View Profile
Multiple Roleplays
« on: February 20, 2012, 03:56:13 pm »
As a user with their own roleplay group in game, I try to refrain from joining long-term groups in my down-time, because as I have little time to put into my own, I feel it is wrong for me to try and join more than one, and take up space in someone else's roleplay. My pride is my priority in game, and so when none of my members are on, and I'm stuck sitting in the map alone because I despise sitting in Fluorite, I'm wanting to join something else to pass the time.

I try to join short-term roleplays, or one's that will have so many members, they will not miss me if I'm gone.

However, because I'm a jerk of a person, I get angry that my members can freely roleplay-hop at their will. Whenever there is roleplay about to occur in the group's map, I pull up my friend's list and whisper every member in the group to let them know that there is roleplay going on and they are welcome to join if they so desire. But I can not count how many times these whispers go brushed off or ignored by the same user multiple times.

Do you as a player think it's okay to join multiple roleplays and never devote to one sole group? Or is it okay to have multiple groups to bounce around in as a fall back. In my experience, it's because the members tend to hop around that groups end up falling apart. And of course, that could be the group leader's fault for not providing a good enough experience for the group, but still.

I myself have been guilty of jumping, though I've tried to do it less since I've started the pride again, keeping it within one fall-back roleplay at a time, and keeping it unless the group becomes inactive itself.

Opinions and say-so's. Shoot.

Offline EvilSock

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Roleplays
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 04:37:53 pm »
It's good that you avoid joining other roleplays for the sake of maintaining your own. Members like to see devotion in their leader, and so they'll probably follow suit eventually. But when you're stuck sitting in your map alone, why not go out and advertise? Bring more members in and spice things up a little. Fresh blood is always good to have and it'll ensure your members stay motivated and interested following new plot prospects that arrive when new characters become introduced to the roleplay. The more people you bring in, the more of a chance you have of getting some LOYAL members into the group. The bouncers may leave or become inactive, but you'll still gain something at least.

Although, that may not be to some people's taste as they may only want to roleplay with people/friends that they can trust to be online amongst other things.

If you haven't already tried this, or if anyone else hasn't, then it's a good idea if you're wanting your roleplay to stay long-term to make a Forum whilst enforcing that everyone is to be online once or more every week. Consider it a sort of activity check, and your members will probably be happy having something to read such as rules, info and plots etc. And perhaps invest the time to create specific dates and times that will be fair for all the members, since some (coughme) can become left out due to bad timezones. Forums are also good to get members involved with each other where they aren't consistently pressurized to roleplay, a good community makes a good RP as then people will want to ditch the current Roleplay that they're in, and bounce back over to yours instead.

I believe that it's fine to join multiple roleplays, but to limit yourself wisely. Not just to join a RP just 'because' you felt like it or otherwise. If you have the time to devote yourself equally to them all, then go for it. Variety is always good and can be a gateway for meeting acquaintances with RP skill similar to your own. You can always drag 'em to your own group.
And if you're bored, and none of your roleplaying groups are online then... Host a short-term one, or simply go off and find one. It's a simple solution really to those who can't find anything else productive to do.

Offline xXKitsuneNinjaXx

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • I am the Annoying Homestuck.
    • View Profile
    • I WILL DO TUMBLR TOO
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 04:48:59 pm »
I'm guilty of jumping groups x3. Most groups don't usually like me all that much for some reason. I always want to get involved, but whenever I join a group I didn't make  I always end up the odd one out that someone only talks to if I'm the only person on in the group, so I switch groups a lot searching for 'The Perfect Group.' Although, when I quit a group I usually explain why to the leader or one of the other members instead of just rudely becoming inactive and ignoring everyone.

Now, what's strange to me is that a lot of people are looking for roleplays, while at  the same time a lot of people are making roleplays, but for some reason, it's really hard to get into a good role-play, because it seems every time you want to join, not create, no one's advertising, and vice versa.

Offline CloudFeesh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 02:53:46 pm »
I agree with Kitsune, in a way. It seems every time I go to advertise in Fluorite Plains, I end up seeing at least two or three other groups that are basically offering the same thing I am. It then becomes a competition of who can get the players to their side. And in contrast, there are times when there are no advertisements at all in general, and one gets swamped with those are itching to join, and no where to go.

Socklet.

The only problem I see with advertising when ever the active group count gets low, is keeping track of them all. And in retrospect, I'd simply be adding more and more people to an active-watch. Our roleplay is plot-centered, as we're going towards a certain goal and so it's hard to introduce new members that frequently. Though, I suppose like you said, that could only add to the plot.

The forum, though we have one, and a number of our members use it or check it at least once a week or so, the only problem with that is, I've noticed a number of people will sign up for it, and then never come back to check it. They do it simply to get the map, and then it's game over for the forum. I attempt to make timezone friendly events, however it is hard to do with the combined schedule of all the members, and so I've used a poll in the past to pick an ideal day, and such, etc. The time is the problem most people need to be able to hammer.

In which case, I believe I would have to limit my member's nationality, in order for the roleplay to be more organized and correlated. as much as I would hate to do that, it is something I am considering for the next time I advertise.

I agree with you in that jumping around roleplays to get acquaintances is a good idea, and I've gained members that way in the past, however it's finding the time to actually go through the process of snatching them away that I find tedious.

Another thing I thought of, sparked by what Kitsune said, how she leaves when she feels the odd one out. People tend to leave if they're "bored" during roleplay, however, they complain that no one is interacting with them, when they themselves are doing nothing to interact with anyone else. When I join a roleplay, I usually sit around until there is actually no reason for me to do be there, if all the members have left, or gone offline, because I believe it's rude to the leader, to leave because I grow bored; I leave when I'm needed in my own roleplay, and even then, I ask if they mind me leaving. I could just be too considerate though. 

Offline Kyugima

• Dovahkiin
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
  • Koo Koo Kachoo
    • View Profile
    • DropJaw
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 03:04:26 pm »
  I tend to jump around a little, mostly because I am in such a terrible timezone. When everyones rolaplaying I'm asleep or something XD So no one is ever on when I am. I have seen country exclusive roleplays and it peeves me off so bad. It tends to be either laziness on their part or discrimination, as I have seen one somewhere that said they didn't want people from other countries that didn't speak english because they didn't want to put up with terrible spelling and such. Really? Not all people who don't speak English as their first language are terrible at writing in English!

Sorry, that turned into a rant.

I mostly do it only when I am not a major part of the roleplay. If I have only posted a couple of times and simply can't get a feel for the RP I will drop out, or not post >.> I try not to do the not posting thing, but I'm pretty forgetfull as to what RP's I am in... And once again, bad timezones, I'm not always able to get on at the same time as them to tell them I am dropping out. I do try and stick around, but if I go a month without any actual interaction with other members, then I'll drop out. After all, what is teh point of being in a RP if you don't actually take part in it?

please click here! Help me raise my pokemon!
Signature: Kyugima, Rimfrost, Deafosho

Offline CloudFeesh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 03:24:27 pm »
  I tend to jump around a little, mostly because I am in such a terrible timezone. When everyones rolaplaying I'm asleep or something XD So no one is ever on when I am. I have seen country exclusive roleplays and it peeves me off so bad. It tends to be either laziness on their part or discrimination, as I have seen one somewhere that said they didn't want people from other countries that didn't speak english because they didn't want to put up with terrible spelling and such. Really? Not all people who don't speak English as their first language are terrible at writing in English!

And I completely agree with you. I feel it's unfair for roleplays to be timezone exclusive. However, it makes finding suitable times for everyone, really hard. When it comes to accepting people into my roleplays, I always take into consideration the person's nationality and first language, and base it more on their ability to move forward with an event efficiently in a paragraph or so, than their spelling. A basic grasp is all I really desire.

However, I too have been in groups before that has discriminated against players because of their lack on the English language and their spelling errors. While I agree this is unfair, and quite frankly, really rude, it is ultimately up to the group leader who they want in their group. I can't recall if there are any rules against discrimination on the site, (I want to say there aren't) however, it seems bullying isn't tolerated? Though, I don't believe people can be punished for not allowing people into a group, (You would know before I would) so I don't think there are really any means to help those who are turned away except for them to seek lower leveled roleplays, (which they possibly may not even enjoy) or find a more accepting one.

Seeing as I'm not the only one who feels country-exclusive roleplays are unfair, I will most definitely not be implementing that into my own.

Offline Kyugima

• Dovahkiin
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
  • Koo Koo Kachoo
    • View Profile
    • DropJaw
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 04:03:08 pm »
  There are many converters where you can enter in many timezones, so you can see what time it is everywhere rather than just one place, Perhaps copy and paste that so that everyone can see the time relevant to where they are. I know the issue for me with timezones is I didn't really understand them before and how to convert them (Getting a little better now though XD) So that could help. You just need to find the right time that is decent for the timezones that have the majority of your members. Keep track of any major plot things that are currently going on in the RP, and perhaps only do major plot RP during the scheduled time, outside of that anything goes.That way there are not major bits of plot here and there.

And also, yeah, the rules of a RP are up to that person, if they don't want certain people, there is nothing that can be done. Doesn't stop me getting frustrated though XDDD

please click here! Help me raise my pokemon!
Signature: Kyugima, Rimfrost, Deafosho

Offline lucario7727198

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 05:18:25 am »
I try not to jump groups too much unless my main one is becoming very inactive, as it tends to do occasionally. Typically I end up having no success finding decent groups anyway, so I have given up on groups mostly in favor of private roleplays with a friend or two. It's much more flexible and there are less people to keep track of and receive input from, so it's easier to have your ideas heard and there is no limit to the directions the plot can take, and no rules or ranks unless you want them.

When I'm really bored it is sometimes hard not to go searching for groups, but at the moment I don't feel the need.

CloudFish

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 03:55:42 pm »
The way I see it, the group's activity always falls on the activity of the leader and not the activity of the members. People complain of in-activity when they themselves aren't willing to be active. Like I previously stated, it is of course up to the group leader to keep things fresh and make people want to come back, but if the members aren't also willing to make the group all it can be, it's doomed to fail from the start. Good groups that stick around are hard to come by, I agree. However it isn't always the fault of the actual group, but more so it's members and more than usual, the leader.

Typically I end up having no success finding decent groups anyway, so I have given up on groups mostly in favor of private roleplays with a friend or two. It's much more flexible and there are less people to keep track of and receive input from, so it's easier to have your ideas heard and there is no limit to the directions the plot can take, and no rules or ranks unless you want them.

On that note, I myself prefer smaller roleplays, ones that are collected and can be played on by a few people, however, that usually doesn't sit well with most people. And thus leads into the larger roleplays.

Offline ShadowFang01

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
    • ShadowFang0
    • xxxWolvesHeartxxx
    • xxxWolvesHeartxxx
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 09:04:57 pm »
I thinks it's kinda okay to join a few different groups. Like if one is on or doesn't work out, you still have another to fall back on and it's also a way to make new friends. Also most players like making different characters and might want a group for it to be in. That's just my opinion.