Author Topic: All these IT servers poping up  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Feareh

• The Jaguar Artist
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 195
  • Where is the Walrus Species?
    • View Profile
All these IT servers poping up
« on: July 12, 2013, 05:45:51 pm »
Ok so like it says on the title, I've notice a increasing amount of new IT servers coming up recently. It's not a new game or anything, it's still using the same server as Impressive Title used to use. But what do you guys think of all these new IT servers? Do you think it's good to have a lot of IT servers? Or you think it's something that's getting a little to excessive?
I Stalk from time to time...I have moved on to other things but do miss this place. Good times
Add me on discord:
Bakujio 🐺#7358

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
Re: All these IT servers poping up
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 05:54:56 pm »
I'm actually surprised at the amount. Can't people just play IT servers rather than make one of their own, even if they control the server, doesn't mean they need to make one out of so many. o3o
Personally, I think there should just be the most popular IT servers and a few others, including private ones even if that's fair.
I don't really find too many IT servers nowadays to tell the truth though, and doesn't seem like there's way too much.
Then again, when you see a thread that shows all IT servers, people will request other ones to be put up that aren't here.
And there's a bit number of people who do that in those thread. :/
The number's getting quite big I see, and it does tend to get a bit annoying in some cases.
Sometimes it is good to have a lot of IT servers around but I don't know. There's a ton.

Offline Cherryheart

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • shrek lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 06:06:29 pm »
I think that with having a ton of IT servers, it helps spread players out and it also gives a opportunity for servers to be different. Like how on one server there may be an item that you really like, but it's only dropped by admins. While on another server, that item is uncommon and you can get it. If one server got too laggy with players, items and whatnot, you could always move to another one.
It's also interesting to be one of the staff members of your friend's server, even if you get kicked off the team. The chance in my opinion is pretty high, considering there are guides on how to set up servers for free, and many servers are starting to rise. And that I was a moderator temporarily for one.

tl;dr: lots of it servers r cool!!!1

i sleep with a gun under my pillow pet

Offline Ingredient

• ~Dead men tell no tales~
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 366
    • Ingredient91
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 12:27:21 pm »
I've started to notice this as well. I remember when Impressive World and Sanctum of Eventide were the most common IT servers known, you wouldn't really hear of any other server unless they were still in the making.

Personally I don't like all these new servers appearing from no where, especially when they are very much alike with each other. It's like they are competing to be the best when really they are no different, which really just puts me off joining any of them. Most of the newer servers go ahead and steal from other servers hoping to attract more members. My best guess why so many are made is because people want a go at being admin, even if they have no experience... and then you get those servers that don't last that long. Then again that's not always the case.

I always find the best servers are the ones different from the rest.
Will be inactive due to work and exams.

Offline Whinp

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 01:18:16 pm »
It doesn't really bothers me; more servers, more players remembering/playing IT for the first time.
But they bother me in a way: there will be ALWAYS fakers of Kovu, Red, Tigg, etc.

Tough, I always go for the most original, the best.

In-game name as: Whinp

Offline CloudFeesh

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 01:20:55 pm »
the way i see it- the game is open source. people wanna make a server they have all the abilities to then more power to 'em. some people just want to open up servers for a small circle of friends, others want to be the next big thing. either way, like someone said above. the different things they offer is one of the pros.

the only con i see to this is a spread out community overall from the users that play these games.

Offline Silhouette

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 01:27:02 pm »
Really? I think its quite silly. And as Ingredient said I agree, I think part of it is just wanting to try being an admin.

And while not all of the off-shoot servers are being made/moderated by children, as for the ones that are the best thing I can say it amounts to is this:

"...Cute. Now go bother someone else."

I know that sounds terribly harsh but really, lets be honest. Even EXCLUDING the ones that are made from the "leftovers" of the original Impressive Title, there are many supposed games that are being attempted from scratch there are numerous threads on the "other games" section.

And you know what? Its usually people (and often children I suspect just given the naive and uninformed outlook some of them seem to have when discussing what they are working on that I have a hard time believing an adult would not have already figured out on there own) who are LOOKING for staff, LOOKING for help, but as far as /accomplishing/ something past a dinky little website?  They haven't done anything.

To make something THAT complicated, you need people you KNOW, who have SKILLS, who you know will remain DEVOTED until the whole project is over and asking on a forum "Hey all you people can you help me pretty please?" probably won't get that devotion. You'll most likely get people who are bored and will abandon you when they find something else to do.

So when people use the "leftovers" from Impressive Title and put it on a new server, they can bypass a LOT of the work involved because KovLKD has practically done most of it for them already. Texture artist? Don't need one! You already have tons of textures. Animator? Nope! Don't need that either unless you want to adjust what was already there for some reason. Now do not give me wrong, I will give them credit in saying yes, they probably put a lot of time and effort adding extra things to the games but at the end of the day... that's really it. They get their chance to be admin/mods after only having to put forth a fraction of the effort it would take to make a game from scratch.

If it were my decision I would give these "IT Server games [or even regular computer game works in progress]" a section of their own inside of "Other Games" and move them. I'm tired, as I'm sure some others may be, of sifting through "other games" and having to dig through a billion pages of IT-server games or other games that don't even have a real screenshot to show for their progress.

So overall? Eh, the ones that already have some real effort put into them? More power to them. I just don't want anything to do with them. I can't look at Impressive Title the same way I used to simply because most of my friends are gone from there and are here.

At the end of the day, its like a giant sculpture of a rocket. If you make it out of legos, will I be impressed? Probably. But since you didn't make it out of your own raw materials that were not pre-made to hook together for you, it will never be as amazing as say, something made entirely out of ice, twigs, clay, etc.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 01:37:28 pm by Silhouette »