Poll

This is a simple poll. What should FH do about registration times?

Keep it open 24/7 (And close for any emergencies)
20 (31.3%)
Have a certain date (Like one a week during a certain hour.)
30 (46.9%)
Open it during night hours to get more nightowls in (Because almost no one is on about 1 AM and people may start coming back around 10 AM or so. Usually not playing past 6 AM.)
3 (4.7%)
Keep it like it already is
11 (17.2%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: What Should Feral-Heart Do With Registration?  (Read 8391 times)

Offline A.P.S.

• Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 38
    • View Profile
Re: What Should Feral-Heart Do With Registration?
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 10:45:18 am »
The thing is, there are a lot of people who can't make accounts any time. I barely ever see it open. Also, why not just put a player limit on the maps/server if overloading is such a big issue? Or maybe upgrade the server? I just almost never see it open, and I feel like I would of been on FH much sooner if registration seemed open as long as you say it is. I also suggest if we're going to have 12 hours open, it's more evened out. Like 6-8 AM, 10 AM to 12 PM, 2-4 PM, 6-8 PM, 10-12 AM, 2-4 AM. It give plenty of times in the day and give a 2 hour break.

I don't think they can just upgrade the server like that. And there ARE player limits on maps/servers. They just don't want to hit those numbers and crash everything because maybe getting a bigger/better server would be too much.

And honestly, that just gives it way too much time to be open. The registration does indeed open, you just gotta catch it, like everyone has been doing for the past few years.

And besides, have you seen the numbers of players recently? As of right now, as I type this, there are not as many people but it IS a school/work day or night. But through the weekdays, after school/work, I've seen up over 500 players, and on the weekends, close to 700. Which is pretty good if you ask me. cx

If there are limits on the map and when they are met, the server crashes because too many players joined, then lower the limits... Or are you saying the coding it so messed up, it crashes the server/map rather than just telling a player they can't connect? Or is crashing a form of saying the server is full, no coding by staff?

But really, for someone who is like me who is usually online during later hours, it's terrible. At least make registration open during the late night hours. I can assure you there are more than 15 nightowls in the world who are online, but they aren't on FH.

Also, about catching the server time... It took me I'm not sure how long, constantly checking to get an account. Probably a few weeks, so it's not as easy as it sounds. I had a friend who wanted to join FH but had to wait a couple of weeks just to finally find registration up. People ask other people to help them get an account, and that doesn't sound like something I'd like hearing people say about a game.

Or is the whole point of FH's registration to make players feel rewarded when they finally get to make an account? Like it something rare to be a member of FH?

Sorry, I just find the whole registration mystery time thing to be annoying. Maybe for one whole 24 hours, they could keep it up as a test and see if it crashes the server once in that 24 hours?

Offline Astraea

• ❤ Positivity ❤
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 186
  • previously esarosa
    • Esar0sa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 12:09:59 pm »
Feralheart is a big game, there are loads of people who wish to play and if the servers were open 24/7 they would be flooded with new members which would in reality probably slow the server by a landslide.
A server limit would be a good add but as Amara has stated ; it takes a lot more work probably than we all think. I think registration should open on a set date, so people who want to join will have their chance and know when it opens!

<3 Great topic by the way, I'm sure a lot of people feel strongly about this.
not active here anymore ♡

Offline Avani

• Slytherin
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 241
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 12:46:24 pm »
Though I understand that a registration system like this
can be demotivating and frustrating to many, I think it
is very wise to have a limit like this. It slows down the
growth of the community, yes, but it is for the best.
This system has its pros and cons, but I appreciate
the work put into a better gaming experience. A slow
increase in members is both a good and a bad thing.
Though I registered before this system was made,
I can understand why many are bothered by this.
I admit that I feel bad for those who miss these
opportunities and spend ages just to catch
reglstration openings. Then again, a limit like
this gives a better server performance,
and prevents the server from crashing
as often as it did.

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 12:58:09 pm »
In my opinion, how registration functions now is perfectly fine as is.

These open registration times can vary greatly, as it can open at any point for anyone looking to Register an account. Thoughout the week for one person, it could open in the early morning, late morning, mid day, early afternoon, etc... There is always going to be a time of day throughout the week when a person will be able to catch the registration open. However, there's also a lot of people who try to rely on others, such as; friends, general users or even staff to keep an eye on registration or notify them when registration is open. It is not their responsibility to watch registration's activity for others, as they are the ones wanting the account.

The system was placed to prevent new and old users from creating so many accounts for themselves and taking up space on Raz's server(s). I know of several users who have 10+ accounts, and more than half of them are no longer touched, or barely so. The majority of people created new accounts purely because they did not like their username and wanted something new. Nevertheless, t is now possible for users to change their username through the user panel, so they can recycle their accounts instead of making new ones. Personally, I feel no one should have more than 4 accounts, but that's just how I feel. Even though this option of account 'recycling' is now available, the issue of account hoarding will always be around.

Users can now also delete their old accounts through the user panel as well, and it will delete the account instantly. Before, you had to do this through your profile on the forum, and leave your account untouched for around 2 weeks. Deleting old accounts is easy, sure, easily provides more space. However, even though this option has a much quicker response and is easier to do, there is still an issue. A lot of people forget their passwords, e-mails and even usernames to even do this. A little while ago, Raz cleared/deleted/removed all accounts that were inactive and untouched for over a year or so. Even though there is more space and everything is much cleaner, there are still a huge handful of accounts that haven't really reached that time/length period, so there are still a lot of people who have hoarded accounts.

Sure, these new changes are dandy, and it's very understood that a lot of users want registration to return to it's 24/7 routine, but people who are wanting to join will need to wait patiently for registration to open. I am not saying that registration will never return to it's old system in future either, but currently it is a comfortable and very stable solution to prevent the said things from happening, or happening less.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 01:02:31 pm by Bawfle »

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline A.P.S.

• Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 07:43:47 pm »
I agree with pretty much everyone here. I don't want it open ALL the time, I would understand if that flooded the server, but I just think, even if it's for less than an hour, there should be a time it will be open and scheduled on the forums or the site's main page. And FH doesn't need to do this instantly, after the hacking which we are still recovering from, looking to update the actual game even more, etc, I think it would be best to wait a bit.

Offline SpookyVin

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Godeater, O' Maddened King
    • ElectricLionheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 07:07:33 am »
Another alternative would be to have it be open one day a week, but randomize the time on that day. It would give players a ballpark idea of when they can register, but not an exact time. So while they'd still have to catch it, they wouldn't be forced to play a guessing game and trying to get lucky. It took more than a year of active checking for me to finally catch it. That's a little ridiculous. Be it bad luck, bad timing, or some combination of the two, it's not good.

One also should keep in mind the fact that not everyone is going to be persistent. We could be losing LOTS of amazing, talented, wonderful people simply because they get discouraged that they can never figure out when registration is.

TL;DR - I vote for a single day with randomized open registry hours.
:: Find Me In The Game On ::
Godeater --- Mythril --- Marrow
Witchbane --- Yakuti --- Calypso
Whiskey --- Moonshine

ForestHysteria

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 12:46:15 pm »
Timed registration isn't a shabby idea, it gives people a chance to register so they don't have to wait so long. However waiting for registration to open sometimes can go either ways. I heard some people can do so without much of a wait and I hear others say it takes about a year for them to get in. (Which sounds exaggerated) Timed registration can give possible players a chance to register and play the game.

However, this could alternately lead to the server being overloaded and possibly close again because it's at capacity. Which is one of the main reasons why have the registration system the way it is. The server use to get a lot of people and since everyone wanted to play people wouldn't would be logged out because the server limit reached it's capacity of users. And we only be at point B again.

Offline Soul

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 06:54:42 pm »
I really like the way it is now and wish more games would have it like this. Don't think cranking the numbers up by opening the registration to a scheduled time will actually bring in more active players, if you had to pay for owning an account and if there would be game moderators 24/7 maybe... but not for free accounts. Those who REALLY want to play will find a way, and if it becomes a scheduled thing spammers and trolls will have it so easy to come in and use their accounts for abuse which is the last thing you want to invite in to a play where already some are pushing it by doing role play in the open that clearly isn't family friendly or fit for all ages.

When looking at the memberlist of all the new people that sign up daily there really are a LOT. A land with group adds and such does sound like a nice idea though so that people who want to can check ingame what all is available to join. I got invites on my very first day when I didn't even know what it was all about so turned it down then accepted a second one to find out what it was all about but found myself kicked out the next time I came on. There probably might be newbies who don't read the opening emails either and simply don't know how to get the game to work but there seem to be plenty of people joining on a daily basis as is...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 07:03:25 pm by Soul »

Profilepicture and signature artwork by Soul

Summeralla

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 11:25:17 pm »
Well, the staff is in control with the registration per-say...Feral-heart can't do much but accept what we have.

Not everyone may agree with the registration, but I am sure it has reasons why is here today. However, one thing i dislike about it is the time...is like a ninja. Just sneaks up and attack! But seriously, there's no actual time when it closes or opens. It would be nice if staff had access to it so guests can catch it on time, but otherwise i have no issue with the registration. If it keeps organizations through FH, then I'm ok with it.

WaterMelons4lif

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 02:37:49 am »
I had an issue since I couldnt catch it , but now that I have. I think its fine for security and reduce lag , If it keeps organizations then im fine with it. ^.^