Author Topic: Your thoughts on the 'current/past' Ascension Island?  (Read 1599 times)

SoulRevenge

Your thoughts on the 'current/past' Ascension Island?
« on: March 02, 2013, 04:48:11 pm »
Pfffft, it's about time I made this thread. After all I've had it in my head since the dawn of time- or at least that's what it feels like to me sometimes.

Onto the point.

If you've ever stepped foot into the famous "Ascension Island"- also called "Fandom Island" by it's more active inhabitants, you were probably suprised by how different this part of the community is compared to. . well, everyone else.

Of course, the first thing you would probably notice would be the strange people running around named after countries (This is the Hetalia fandom, mind you; it's a show about personified countries that is rather popular, yet pointless at the same time.), perhaps you would take not of the occasional Doctor Who character: oh, and we musn't forget the Homestucks that seem to be taking over at a rapid pace. There used to be four on at a time, now it's like thirteen; almost beating the rest of AI's population, actually. And then we have the least popular creepy-pasta characters. Such as Eyeless Jack, Jeff the Killer, Slenderman, etc. .

Usually, any other place you would take notice of fandoms would be in Flourite, which holds the somewhat FeralHeart-related Warrior cats clans, Bonfire, which also holds the Feral-Heart related fandom, The Lion King, and of course, in Ficho, we have the famous Poke'mon-derps, combined with the occasional Creepy-pasta character and the orginal Sonic the Hedgehog OCs.

Now, if you have only be in AI in recent times. . then you probably have an idea of what I'm talking about, even though there would be decreased numbers when it comes to some fandom's population back then. But, if you were in there an earlier time, you probably wouldn't of noticed the ridiculously fast rate that local goes in, or the often arguments that take place when a 'randomer' as we call them- provokes a member of a fandom in a ridiculously rude way. (This happens often with MLP, mind you.)

Anyway, if you witnessed today's AI, it's total chaos.

People seem to recklessly disrespect each other, swearing seems to show up a bit more often within local chat (not to mention that thing goes a crapload faster), lot's of older members seem to have disappeared off the face of FeralHeart, leaving the "New Generation" as some of us 'older people' call them, in their place.

But, I suppose I should stop discribing this place to you, since it is somewhat irrelevant to the orginal topic, which is 'What are your thoughts on the 'current' and 'past' Ascension Island?'

I suppose after reading this wall of text you can answer that~ finnaly.

So, what are your thoughts on this 'mini-community' locacted within FeralHeart? :3.

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Your thoughts on the 'current/past' Ascension Island?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 05:07:15 pm »
I generally don't mind the fandoms associated with AI, even if they're ones I'd rather much avoid! I'm up to my armpits in Ficho's pokemon roleplay myself; I'd be a hypocrite to grumble about their tastes in comics, shows and anime. :D

Whilst I've absolutely no qualms with the fandoms they roleplay, I do vehemently disagree with their behaviour; I've blocked an extortionate amount of folk whilst climbing to Sky's Rim (which, unfortunately, is strikingly similar to AI). It's not the characters-- it's the players behind them that deserve a good ol' beating with a wet ferret; some of things I've heard during the midsts of an argument...

I'd be thrilled if they were roleplaying the fandoms they truly and utterly loved-- not arguing and spurring up flame-wars. I'm just praying there's no limit to the block list!

SoulRevenge

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 05:33:51 pm »
Oh, psht! I know exactly how you feel there. A lot of people behind those characters can be terribly rude, and like you I've blocked /countless/ people, even if they did share similiar interests with me when it comes to the fandom. Arguments, as you suggsted can get. . pretty colourful, along with out-of-hand.

I really have nothing against the fandoms within AI: Heck, half the time I sit around on a character from Homestuck or Hetalia, that or an OC.

And yes, Ficho's Poke'mon roleplays tend to be extremely entertaining. I usually sit around on my eevee character, who a lot of people seem to know because I'm on him so often xDD.

Offline Silvertide

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Drawn by WhiteLightHeart, colored by me. <3
    • View Profile
    • The Siar Journey Reborn
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 11:21:03 pm »
I like AI, even though it has changed a bit, but in my opinion for the better. When AI first came out it was full of people complaining they couldn't get to the top, and after people figured out the trick AI became practically empty! Now it's full of people, for sure. I find all the fandoms amusing though there's a lot of obnoxious people that appear in AI and start up these silly arguments. I always feel like yelling at them to shut up but that wouldn't do anyone any good, no one would care and it would only get people angrier. AI also seems to be a place where friends gather all the time, I see the same people there almost every day. There's always something going on though so that attribute makes up for the obnoxious people.

Offline Jackalfur

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 32
  • stay frosty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 12:23:43 am »
Blackiiiiii~ Thank you for making this thread owo

I have to admit, I haven't been in Ascension Island for a little while-- I usually just derp around by myself in custom maps or Lonely Cave, sometimes hopping onto a canon character from Hetalia or Pandora Hearts, though sometimes I just like to watch the other people of AI. I also haven't been in-game for a few days since I had to back-up my files and do a system restore due to a blue screen that I have no idea how I even got it, and I've been lazy because I lost all the mandatory files (such as the rendering system files and stuff like that) and had to re-download-- I'll be more active soon, but--

But to be honest, I think I sort of liked the past AI better; there was barely any profanity spills (unless someone were to fall from the climbing platforms >w>) and the community resting there seemed to be a lot less 'rude', but maybe that's just me... 'xD But I still like AI-- it's just not really what it used to be. I remember back in really early 2012 (in early January), when I came back from taking a long break from FeralHeart, I climbed the motherload of stone platforms in AI, and there wasn't /any/ arguing whatsoever. I remember roleplaying in Sky's Rim with fellow Vocaloid fans back then, and there wasn't any fighting either-- everyone was just cracking jokes and having a great time, nothing less.

I don't have any problems with Ascension or its fandoms-- actually, that's where I roleplay and derp around most of the time, apart from Ficho --but I have to disagree with their behavior. I'd say the flame-wars and profanity is getting a little out of hand, but then again, that's just me, hehe >w>;

My thoughts on AI's community? Honestly, I say it's pretty decent, but people should always show respect to one another, no matter what fandom they like or dislike, no matter how much they want to justify their opinions and lay them on someone else, no matter how much they love to troll and stoke the fire to start up these ridiculous arguments that don't even have a point to them. Sure, sometimes there are people who just appear to start up conflicts just to be an obnoxious pain in the neck-- I've run into quite a few of them myself -- and then there are people who seem to dislike a certain fandom and then bash others of said fandom for liking it, but overall I think everyone needs to get along. I rarely have any people on my block list, as I try to calm the fight before they explode into a full-front war, but the block button does come in handy when everything gets out of hand.

This is only my opinion, though. I just think everyone needs to learn how to get along. ^^

ヌ - ド ル

SoulRevenge

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 06:19:52 am »
@Silvertide
Your words are true~ despite the fact that alot of times it can be chaotic, alot of friends gather in AI ;3. A majourity of my friends on my friends list were actually 'residents' of AI~ It's really like a giant friend-meet-up where a lot of people like or know the same people!

@Temporal

Oh yes. I liked the 'older' AI better- I'm not saying the 'new one' is bad or anything, hell I still sit around in there half the time xDD. Just, it was a lot more peaceful there, and unfourtantly a lot of friends I made in the most recent months have appeared to of left the island. ;`;

And, for that last senetence- you deserve a floof, uvu. It's ridiculously agreeable opinion uvu.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 06:22:28 am by FashionablePirateBlacki? »