Author Topic: Is This Copying?  (Read 1381 times)

Offline rustheart

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 76
  • Elbows are just arm knees.
    • RustyMcRustFace
    • View Profile
Is This Copying?
« on: September 22, 2013, 03:03:40 pm »
Sometimes when I want to make a new character I will go on and look at other people's characters until I find one that looks different and just is cooler than the rest.  Then I go and make my own character with that person's character in mind but add my own bits to it so it does turn out alike from the other character but not the exact same.  I hate when people copy characters and I don't want to be doing it myself.  Would this be seen as copying?
"I'm a kitchen sink, you don't know what that means. Because a kitchen sink to you, is not a kitchen sink to me, okay?"
Snow Shoe
Drawn by Aviru

Offline meeeea

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
    • View Profile
Re: Is This Copying?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 03:19:16 pm »
I would think of it as an inspiration instead of copying. As long as you ask the user the character belongs to and don't straight off copy it, I believe it's fine then.

Offline Feareh

• The Jaguar Artist
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 195
  • Where is the Walrus Species?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 04:15:14 pm »
This is common on the Computer Graphics world when we get inspiration from others and incorporate there idea with ours. It's not really considered copying really.
I Stalk from time to time...I have moved on to other things but do miss this place. Good times
Add me on discord:
Bakujio 🐺#7358

Offline Tanglemask

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 64
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
    • Tangled in Bowties
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 04:30:47 pm »
I wouldn't think that's copying. Like the other's said, I see it more as an inspiration. As long as there's no completely making it an exact replica, I doubt it's copying. There are tons of ways to make characters, despite being slightly limited to what FH has. This is why I adore making presets. You can make your character any which way you want and make them more unique to your character. It only sucks that we're limited to 12... -pouts-

So no, I don't think this is copying. At least on a full blown scale. It's inspiration. And if the person you got that inspiration from politely asks you to change, don't argue, just do it. This will save a LOT of drama in the future.

"I can't tell you the key to success but the key to failure is trying to please everyone" - Ed Sheeran

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 11:29:21 pm »
Its not copying, I have been inspired from TheHowlingLass's, 'Moss', but never made a charrie for fear of making myself look like i am copying him.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline BlueKinTsukiko

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 02:39:13 am »
Well, I've followed this advice for the longest time in the world
"If you feel like your copying art, your copying art." Best quote from my art teacher, so just try to make it a different color scheme and not the same markings or name and your good, but ALWAYS ask for permission first than show the person your character just to be sure. I'd rather have their opinion on such a topic beforehand anyways.