Author Topic: Roleplay: Stay in the same Zip Code, PLEASE.  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Silhouette

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
    • View Profile
Roleplay: Stay in the same Zip Code, PLEASE.
« on: October 06, 2013, 11:33:52 pm »
Alright so I'm sure we've all bumped into that one guy who REALLY wants to distance his or herself for the start of the RP and even in a one on one RP, that desire can be understood except when it is taken a tad too far.

There have been some RP's where I've arranged to meet someone somewhere to RP and then when they position themselves to start, they run across half the map before settling down and a lot of the time (although not always mind you!) when you try to close the gap, guess what happens? That's right, they adjust and move again. Now I'm all for not starting face-to-face. I hate starting a RP face to face unless said characters already have a well established knowledge of each other and reason for being there, but when its among strangers? Heavens no. Yet I don't see that as a reason to keep yourself out of range, let alone outside my character's zip code just to begin a RP.

Is not the point of RP to let characters of different authors interact? How is my character supposed to interact with someone elses if they either

A. Move away OOCly, thus preventing an IC interaction.
B. Have placed themselves somewhere imaginary that my character cannot access (Lets say, subdued, trapped, or otherwise contained in an imaginary building, cage, whatever)
C. We refer to an old thread about characters with short attention spans who constantly move away ICly and won't focus on the RP at hand.

The worst thing about these types of RPs is that not only are the characters isolated and not interacting but the person who is being the "avoider" as I'll put it is monologuing about things that could be more easily communicated in a bio or as a short summary. If you already told me in the bio where your character came from, you don't need to force me to sit through a painstakingly long series of posts about it, and if you are going to do that, make it actually good and do it in ONE sitting. Don't make me have to post random garbage because you're fragmenting your story into bits. I hate to say it but, RP is for interaction, not story-telling. If you want to tell a long story about your character's origins and you believe it is THAT interesting, then go write a story and someone will read it.

Now I'm not saying this is ALWAYS a bad thing. I've seen some very good introductions of new characters but they're thoughtful, not broken up, not too long, and to the point. It helps me see where said character is coming from when the bio does not and it gives me an insight on where it might be going. But if its just rambly and long about "The fire that killed your entire pack" that we've all heard a THOUSAND times before and I am forced to make extra crud up just to fill in spaces to try to provoke you hurry up, post more, and finish it, that's.......Well you probably see my point by now. I've been in a RP before where the majority of it was the other person monologuing about their character and then FINALLY when mine gets an opportunity and tries to interact, its away-they-go. Worse yet, most of these monologuers send their characters straight BACK into an "unreachable place" or puts them to sleep, which at that point is usually what I end up wanting to do because I'm so horribly bored I mean, come on guys.

*Huffs* Okay. I probably screwed something up in there but I'm too lazy to fix it right now. Anyone else dealt with these people who can't seem to stay in the same zip code when they RP?

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
Re: Roleplay: Stay in the same Zip Code, PLEASE.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 02:21:05 am »
Aye, I agree very much wiff dis.

I think it all boils down, again, to just being considerate to your fellow roleplayers.

If you don't want to RP, then don't RP. But if you do want to RP, there is a lot to be said about being considerate and thoughtful enough to step back and just consider how these interactions between characters make the difference between a dead story of some character doing nothing but standing around in a silent soliloquy, devoid of any other voice (which, under the right circumstances, can be nice for setting up a character, or if they're deep in thought, but after a while...) or you actually connect minds with your fellow roleplayers and, collaboratively, tell a story that moves forward as you each put in your oar. This is what makes roleplay so special in the first place.

But, I agree. Running away, not sitting still, or just being so absorbed in your own character certainly won't make the RP very stimulating for anyone involved.
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline Silhouette

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 01:09:05 pm »
Aye, I agree very much wiff dis.

I think it all boils down, again, to just being considerate to your fellow roleplayers.

If you don't want to RP, then don't RP. But if you do want to RP, there is a lot to be said about being considerate and thoughtful enough to step back and just consider how these interactions between characters make the difference between a dead story of some character doing nothing but standing around in a silent soliloquy, devoid of any other voice (which, under the right circumstances, can be nice for setting up a character, or if they're deep in thought, but after a while...) or you actually connect minds with your fellow roleplayers and, collaboratively, tell a story that moves forward as you each put in your oar. This is what makes roleplay so special in the first place.

But, I agree. Running away, not sitting still, or just being so absorbed in your own character certainly won't make the RP very stimulating for anyone involved.

Exactly, and sometimes, I honestly don't know how to approach people when I ask someone to RP and they start doing this without ending up looking like the bad guy.

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 11:16:59 pm »
Oy, I hate it when people do this, but, thankfully, it almost never happens, even when a Rogue (<-- See? I spelled it right >:) ) RolePlayed with us, he stayed near enough so that we could find him and start his role in the role play.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972