Author Topic: "Hun," "Floofy," or "Deary"  (Read 4238 times)

Offline liontamer1

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
  • I wish
    • View Profile
"Hun," "Floofy," or "Deary"
« on: January 18, 2014, 09:39:36 pm »
Here are my opinions on the common "slang" used in FH.

Usually, I don't mind being referred to as these, but sometimes it's just inappropriate. Like if I'm having a minor spat with someone and they throw in the word "hun," or "deary" in... it's just plain disrespectful. Like, really?

"Floofy" is  okay because it's just like fluffy. And we ALL like fluffy. :3

I find "hun" especially insulting when used in the wrong context. It's almost like that persons thinks that you are below them. ._.

Thoughts?
\
Take me, I am not afraid

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
Re: "Hun," "Floofy," or "Deary"
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 09:57:07 pm »
I usually call someone "Hun" when I know them very well, For example, close friends. I'm not to sure how it could be an insult to someone but if you say so, I'll respect that. "Floofy" does tent to annoy me slightly when used at a wrong moment. Since I'm not much of a friend maker I would not like to be called "Floofy" at first meeting since its more of a "Hello Friend!" kinda thing, to me anyway.

Thanks for sharing this discussion, I liked having that tiny rant xD

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 10:04:32 pm »
The people who use "Hun" or "Deary" in a debate is usually stuck-up. :B

To be honest, I really dislike the word floof. It gets really annoying when, like what BBT said, used at a inappropriate moment. No, I personally think the word is annoying all together. It seems to have a hidden, disrespectful meaning, at the same level as the words "Hun" and "Deary". It's almost annoying as the "DERP IM SO RANDUM!!!1!1 XDDD O3O" people. :/
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 10:06:09 pm by OhKelseyYou »

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 10:19:05 pm »
I usually use "Hun" and "Deary" when I'm helping someone with FH re-lated stuff. I don't call friends by this and I don't use the term floofy very much now.

Preset Download
Will be less active until October 7th.

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 10:22:23 pm »
When used during an argument I get annoyed by those words as well because it's kind of like the person is trying to put you down with the title. Hard to explain... Using words like those during an argument is sarcastic. I call people hun sometimes in a calm environment as an endearing term. It's a polite way to address someone in a kind but almost affectionate and caring manner. In an argument on the other hand a person has no right to use a title like that because they have no place in faking respect, or acting like the bigger person etc. It's just snobbish. Basically if you're getting on my nerves or I don't like you don't you dare call me sweetly, hun, deary, love, or floof, you don't deserve that kind of thing.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 10:25:35 pm by LordSuragaha »

Offline Tigerheart08

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
  • Tigerheart08 in-game
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 10:26:22 pm »
RaidWolf, you literally have no idea how badly I've wanted to rant about this. I thought I was the only one who thinks "Hun" and "Deary" are used A LOT during arguments.
Like, I'll be calmly arguing with someone and either them or a random person will throw "Hun" or "Deary" or "Sweetie" at the end of their sentence to make me look more immature than them.
I like it when people use it in a positive way, but far too many people use it when they're trying to speak higher than someone else. -.-'

Follow the damned.. I have lost the way again

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 11:43:07 pm »
I don't really use the words "hun" or "deary" or "floofy" or any other related words like that, not even when I'm around friends, or when I'm trying to be endearing. You will probably never even hear me say "floofy". It's just not me. If I ever use them, it's only during roleplay when I use the words in a roleplay sentence. And it will depend on the character as well.

As far as using those words in a debate or an argument, yes it can be disrespectful. I can agree with what you guys have said about people using those words in a negative way. Sura pretty much summed it up right here.

When used during an argument I get annoyed by those words as well because it's kind of like the person is trying to put you down with the title. Hard to explain... Using words like those during an argument is sarcastic. In an argument on the other hand a person has no right to use a title like that because they have no place in faking respect, or acting like the bigger person etc. It's just snobbish. Basically if you're getting on my nerves or I don't like you don't you dare call me sweetly, hun, deary, love, or floof, you don't deserve that kind of thing.

I think if people use those words to be comforting or endearing, I really have no problem with it. If they are using them in an argument just to be a complete and total -censored word- about it, that's when I have a problem with it. Are they trying to assume that they are higher up and smarter than the person they are saying it to? What if the person they call "hun" or "deary" in an argument is alot older than they are? Like a little 14 year old girl saying, "You have a problem with what I'm saying? It's really none of your business, hun!" to a grown 27 year old woman. That's just downright uncalled for and makes you look like you have no respect or no manners whatsoever. It's actually pretty childish.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 04:50:28 am by Lady_Alizarin »
Inactive

Offline liontamer1

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
  • I wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 11:47:30 pm »
It's great that people dislike these words like I do.

I'v noticed that the "stuck up" roleplay groups use them a lot.. e.e
\
Take me, I am not afraid

Offline longjump

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
    • View Profile
    • FhNature
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 12:15:57 am »
I will never tolerate being called Hun or Deary. Ever. I find it insulting, but honestly can't place why? The names just bug me and tick me off. I guess I find it similar to being called childish. As for floof, I don't care much for the term, I don't use it but don't mind if others do. ^^

'Glory drakes are radiant, friendly creatures, that sparkle in the sunlight'

Offline TheFourLinks

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • We are the Links. That means we're awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 12:37:59 am »
Eh. I don't mind stuff like 'hun', 'dear', etc. when used in just a calm manner.. but in a fight? No.

Because when you use those words in a fight, it sounds sarcastic and just downright rude.
I'm too awesome for these guys... -Blue Link
I like cookies :3 -Red Link
....I'm surrounded by idiots... -Vio
Fighting evil crap... gets boring. -Green Link