Author Topic: "Hun," "Floofy," or "Deary"  (Read 4239 times)

Offline SoaringAway

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 32
  • Ours is the Fury.
    • View Profile
Re: "Hun," "Floofy," or "Deary"
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 12:52:22 am »
Greetings, FHians!

The cordial usage of such 'pet names' during arguments gives off a sense of condescending nature or even a diminishing input with a sweeter layer above it. I can see the issue amongst others when using this in arguments as these shouldn't even be present at all in such discussions as they're usually 'passive-aggressive' and will surely short fire into a full fledged argument.

Personally, I do use these pet names (Not honestly slang; slang is something like 'mate center' being 'MC') but as a more affectionate and opening fashion as usually, in my perspective, it helps me (and the other) warm up and get to know each other. Especially when someone is nervous, I would use it to ensure that nothing is an issue and I would prefer to be reciprocated such a jest if I were nervous about questioning or discussing a matter towards someone.

As for 'Floofy,' I have never used this or heard from it from anyone. Ever. Floofy sounds more downgrading to be but this is personal opinion in regards to it. It feels as if someone is referring to a pet versus 'hun' sounding well, direct and humane (?) per say.

Offline Aniuk

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 61
  • mesh requests? pm me~
    • giddyfox
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 01:19:10 am »
I usually use "Hun" and "Deary" when I'm helping someone with FH re-lated stuff. I don't call friends by this and I don't use the term floofy very much now.

I wouldn't say it's a stuck-up term.. I just think people are trying to be friendly. Sometimes I call people 'hun' when I am saying you're welcome, or giving them a complement.. I don't call people floofy unless they're close friends, and I don't call anyone deary.

sig by pokrova on deviantART

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 01:30:25 am »

I wouldn't say it's a stuck-up term..

Ohoho, over my experience, in an argument, it's a phrase that stuck-up people use. :^) Always when the term is used in an argument, it's basicly giving the message "lol I'm smarter and better than you. You're retarded" from the user to the opponent. Trust me, I have been with older people that frequently use Tumblr over the past years, and of course they used this term when we didn't agree with each other.

SoulRevenge

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 02:15:13 am »
I respect that some people use these words in a manner that's respectful and isn't meant to be a sarcastic insult, but oh god, I hate them all.

I'm not going to go all gorilla on you if you use it around me. I might ask you to call me something else, but I just find pet names or titles like these to be annoying. Especially floofy. Its such a community-driven term, I know. So usually its more accepted than 'dear', 'darling', 'hun', et cetera. But that's my least favourite, because its so over-used and makes me feel like I'm viewed as an idiot.

I don't like darling (even though that wasn't mentioned), dear, deary, hun, or anything else like that just because it has a mocking tone. Or it does in my own perspective, at least. I think you should kind of ask people if they're alright with whatever nicknames you give them. Of course your situation depends a lot on whether or no these words might be appropriate to people that might not like it. If I know you're trying to cheer me on or up, then there's a great chance that I'm not going to complain about it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 02:17:18 am by Calliph »

Offline Birdi

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 25
  • Whatcha lookin at chump?(Ingame user: Birdi)
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 02:25:37 am »
I personally hate dear/hun in a fight. I was trying to tell someone their character was unrealistic according to my group's standards, and they said: "My character is perfectly realistic, hun, and if you're not going to notice that then I won't join." It just sounds really, really disrespectful like you're talking to a child. Also, replace the hun with dear and it still sounds rude. It's also annoying if someone's telling you what to do. "Birdi, dear, could you stop? You're disrupting us." (someone said that to me on FHORD :/ ) I don't mind being called any sweet, pet names like Burdeh (a favorite of one of my friends o3o), but when it comes to sounding just plain rude, I'm going to be at least a tiny bit upset.

Offline Aniuk

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 61
  • mesh requests? pm me~
    • giddyfox
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 03:05:47 am »
I never knew people use it so offensively. As I stated previously, I usually use it in complements. ^^;

sig by pokrova on deviantART

Offline cloudfire

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 04:16:24 am »
Yeesh. I hate when people use "hun" or "deary" in such a disrespectful manner.

Example: "How about you shut your trap, okay hun?"
Just really puts people down, in which people should not be doing in such a well-bonded community such as Feralheart.

I do tend to say floof however, but only to well-known people that I'm close with.

? Signature by Pokrovka ?

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 04:53:50 am »
The words hun, floofy/floofie, dear, dearie, etc., are all originally meant to be endearing and kind, and often light-hearted, but unfortunately it's been used in an negative way so much nowadays that some people even regard such kind words are almost exclusively sarcastic and condescending.

However, even with this said, I still use all of them when in a proper context.

In an argument, people are more likely to puff themselves up indignantly if you use these words--even when sincere--, and so I avoid using them in these cases.

However, be it in real life or meeting you in-game, chances are I'll say things like,
"Hello, luff~"
"How're you, dear? c:"
"Ahhh, that's awesome to hear, hun!"
"Whatcha up to, floofie? o:"

I don't mean it in a harsh or demeaning way. That's simply not me. Nor do I find it offensive or demeaning if someone calls me hun, floofie, dear, sweetie, or whatever the case may be. Unless it is used with clear intention to be condescending (see CloudFire's example above), then I don't see it as being rude.

It all depends on the individual, and of course, since we are usually communicating via text, it is also difficult to prevent miscommunications in regards to these words, since we don't have the non-verbal cues and vocal inflections to help discern whether someone is being kind or sassy.

I think they're words to use with care, but can be very sweet as well, despite their use and abuse as hurtful words.

(Plus, it can be said that if you're using them harshly, there's more to the argument than your choice of words. Wanna be rude? Bring me thine worst~)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 04:56:40 am by WhiteLightHeart »
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline DevXVI

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • These memories won't fade
    • EventineXVI
    • DevXVI
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 06:08:58 am »
I use "hun" sometimes for people I really care about. We all have our own opinions.

Signature by HellVix