Author Topic: Feralheart: An Educational Game?  (Read 3117 times)

Offline alexterri

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • We are One
    • View Profile
Re: Feralheart: An Educational Game?
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 06:12:16 pm »
lolno

Nothing against FH or anything, but it's not very realistic.  I mean, just look at all the neons running around XD

But no,  I don't think it's very educational

Offline Misinterpreted

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 07:50:14 pm »
There is a positive and a negative side to this topic.
Like some of the Feral Heart roleplaying community, this game had been a bit educational when it comes to learning grammar and literature. To bring my personal experience into this, when I joined this game I knew little to none about grammar and struggled to write essays in school. After months finding out the basics of roleplaying I started blossoming in my english class. My grammar improved a ton and I've learned things in FH already that I would of started learning in my first two years of highschool. Now-a-days my school still hasn't improved on teaching students literacy and they are quite poor at it. If I have never joined Feral Heart I would still be poor with literacy like some other students today. I learned my grammar mostly through online dictionaries, thesauruses, chatrooms, and most of all Feral Heart. So yes, Feral Heart CAN be an educational game as far as roleplaying goes. On the negative side, Feral Heart's environment isn't all too educational. That's my opinion on this. ^^

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 11:42:14 pm »
lolno

Nothing against FH or anything, but it's not very realistic.  I mean, just look at all the neons running around XD

Something doesn't have to be realistic to have educational qualities dear. Take the well known children's shows like Sesame Street etc... Many elements of that show aren't realistic but the show has educational qualities. Another well known show like Pokemon isn't realistic but it teaches children important qualities about bravery, friendship, loyalty, importance of hard work, the idea that while being bad may seem cool it doesn't pay off in the end, persistence, tolerance, etc.

Feral Heart, like any other thing, is what you make of it and every individual will intepret different lessons depending what kind of things they consider valuable or interesting. There is room for learning everywhere if your mind is open and willing.

Also don't judge the neons so harshly. I see to much scorn against them and it's quite silly really.

Offline alexterri

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • We are One
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 02:09:02 am »
lolno

Something doesn't have to be realistic to have educational qualities dear. Take the well known children's shows like Sesame Street etc... Many elements of that show aren't realistic but the show has educational qualities. Another well known show like Pokemon isn't realistic but it teaches children important qualities about bravery, friendship, loyalty, importance of hard work, the idea that while being bad may seem cool it doesn't pay off in the end, persistence, tolerance, etc.

Feral Heart, like any other thing, is what you make of it and every individual will intepret different lessons depending what kind of things they consider valuable or interesting. There is room for learning everywhere if your mind is open and willing.

Also don't judge the neons so harshly. I see to much scorn against them and it's quite silly really.

Yeah,  I was referring to being educational about animals and stuff like that. You do have a good point

Offline Hylocereus

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • ROR I'M A FELINE WALRUS
    • View Profile
    • Renascentia
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 09:13:10 am »
The thing is, the question was "Is FERALHEART an educational GAME". And it's not. If you remove the players, there's nothing. Zilch. Zip. Nada.

Brushing up on your literacy skills, learning how to not be socially retarded, learning things about animal characters you didn't know - these are neat things that are educational in their own way, but they are not "part" of the base game. They come purely from socializing with the players.

The players are an integral part of the game of course, but as with any game, they are wildcards and the side-effects of interacting them is not really a "feature". It just happens to be a thing.

If you removed the players the educational value would be non-existant. So, in the most basic aspect of the question, Feralheart is 100% absolutely not an educational game.

An Educational game is created with the clear goal of making the player learn something. It's not just a thing that MIGHT happen, that's the whole goal. You can still learn nothing from FH if you don't talk to people or only talk to clueless ones.

Offline Yognaught

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • ??
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 06:24:01 pm »
These are really interesting replies. Yet I didn't clarify that I didn't think Feral-Heart was made for educational purposes, I just think that if your willing to learn, it can be educational.

Find me in-game as: mushyroom