Author Topic: Kik or Skype?  (Read 4315 times)

Offline shell_prisoner

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 37
    • View Profile
Re: Kik or Skype?
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 07:22:50 am »
Anyway, what you would suggest for a common user?
I don't know any :( TOX has potential, but it is not mature project. You can also try Bitmessage but it supports only text messages and it is not user-friendly.
If you need REAL privacy, there is no simple solutions. But if you don't mind privacy...
a) I believe that desktop version of Google Hangouts (plugin for chrome) is less maleware-like than Skype. But I would not trust Android version. Android phones with unremovable Google applications are like armed bombs.
b) Facebook and other social network are good enough. At least you don't have install a backdoor into your computer, they will work in browser
c) If you don't want to use your real name, you can try Steam. Of course steam-client is a suspicious bloatware, but it is rather popular, and messaging is not it's primary function, so Valve probably has less interests spying on you.
d) email. Despite the fact that it is totally insecure, it works almost anywhere, even on computers from 80s.
e) There are a lot of other less popular messaging services around, their security and user-friendliness may vary. Prefer ones that use open-source software first.

And it would be good idea to use asymmetric encryption (PGP, OTR) with any of above.

Thierry

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 03:22:40 am »
I don't know any :( TOX has potential, but it is not mature project. You can also try Bitmessage but it supports only text messages and it is not user-friendly.
Thanks for that big amount of suggestions o.o

Actually im happy with Skype except its huge memory and CPU usage and as long is not a secret message. (I have seen 3D games with better efficiency omg XD)

About privacy, ofc Open source software is definitely the better choice, at least everyone can know what the app does, so im taking a look to Bitmessage for now.

Offline AmarisMingan

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • Luck is a shimmer in the darkness.
    • https://steamcommunity.com/profi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 09:59:23 pm »
I pretty much know meself using social network bases everyday, which will also include Skype and Kik. I got Skype since beginning 2014, mainly because I got triggered by the interwebs friendos and of course in real life. Same story with Kik, which I got at the very end of 2014. All this, just for small chit-chats, reminding or informing peepes, calls to socialize etc. None o' my relatives use it as far as I now, Imma rebel.
Av - AzureHowlShliach

Offline OchreKangaroo

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 10:13:36 pm »
I believe I'd have to go with Skype on that one. I never, ever in my whole life, used Kik before. I honestly heard of it before, but unluckily, I never got to try it out. Skype, I use it everyday. Mostly, I talk to my friends. Ain't that's what Skype is for?

Rawr.

Siggy by fabulous Buffy! Thank you <3 <3

In-game username: OchreKangaroo.
You will see me in Bonfire.

Need any help, PM me <3