Author Topic: The Negative Character Encounters. Is it Getting Old?  (Read 3065 times)

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
The Negative Character Encounters. Is it Getting Old?
« on: May 25, 2014, 11:14:37 pm »
Out in the game, my characters have encounters with other characters of different species. But most of the times, it always comes up in some kind of negative way. I would just be walking along as a coyote when I come across a couple of lions, when suddenly one of them says, "My parents were killed by coyotes when I was just a cub."... Really? That's such a tragic story. Did it take you three seconds to come up with that?

One of my most recent encounters was when I was on my grey fox character Abigail. She encountered a roleplaying group of common red foxes, and the situation went on like this...
(Names were made up since I can't remember the actual names)

Abigail Grey Fox: Abigail trotted along when she noticed the familiar scent of fox musk in the air. She started following the scent, wondering what kind of fox family it was.

Kelly Fox: *Goes down by the water to fish*

Angela F Fox: "Oh look. Here comes another fox!" she said happily.

Kevin M Fox: Hm? *stares at the grey fox*

Abigail Grey Fox: "Oh... they are red foxes," she thought to herself. She stopped in her tracks and timidly moved back a few steps.

Kevin M Fox: A grey fox, eh? Grey foxes killed my parents and all my siblings when I was just a pup.

Abigail Grey Fox: (....) Not wanting to bother with the red foxes, she started trotting off in another direction.

At that point I was like, "Really?" His character bio said otherwise. And not only that, grey foxes are too small compared to red foxes. There's no way a grey fox can kill a red fox... unless it's a full grown grey fox against a red fox kit.
Why is it that when some people encounter an animal of a different species, they all of the sudden say things like "My parents/siblings/mate/best friend was/were killed by a ____!" Do they do it just to start conflict, or what? I don't mind a little bit of conflict in a roleplay, but I think that move is used way too much.
I think that some people do it just to start a little bit of drama with other people. It's also really pointless when the bio of the character doesn't even mention their family being killed by some specific animal, or when the bio says something totally different happened to the family. I know that in reality, this kind of stuff happens in nature, but this is Feral Heart. In my opinion, I think it's become cliche like the whole "My parents died when I was very young. Woe is me!" kind of deal. It's even sillier when someone does it so unrealistically. Like a lion would say "My parents were killed by foxes!" or a bear would say, "My brothers were killed by rabbits!" Really, I've seen some people make those kind of statements in roleplays.

Do you think this kind of negative I'm-going-to-automatically-hate-and-kill-(insert animal species)-because-I-state-they-killed-my-family thing is getting too old and cliche in roleplay plots?
Inactive

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
Re: The Negative Character Encounters. Is it Getting Old?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 02:46:07 pm »
A coyote killed two adult lions? What.

I'd have to agree with ya', it's getting old. And fast.

'My siblings were killed by Hyenas, and my parents were killed by Leopards. Please pity me!'

......... Seriously. I just, I just don't even remotely get why they think Tragedy is a good thing.

Yes, it can and will spice up a Roleplay /MOST/ of the time. But not always.

Especially if the entire thing is full of people like this. 

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

wolfdog01

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 03:00:32 pm »
Oh yus, I've seen this a few times.
And I wouldn't be surprised if someone was on a pillow char and someone said "My parents were suffocated by pillows in the wilderness." People just like to seem like the two will have conflict but I guess learn to deal with eachother later? I don't know. But this stuff is very unoriginal and uncreative, UNLESS you had a bio that was actually like that. But animals getting killed by things when they were young is just way to overused and I try to avoid things like that unless it seems like I need it.

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 07:49:22 pm »
"My parents were killed by humans!" <--- Gets on my nerves when people use that cliche-ness, too, when all my characters want to do is play and beat your guts out. ;3

But really, every single cliche is going to be annoying and I just hate it. Literally, why not just stop blaming them for being the same species as something as silly as that? Are you trying to make a lazy excuse to not roleplay with a specific person? That's probably what they're trying to do, lazy bums these days...

But, I'm going to have to agree just like the rest of us. The whole 'my family was killed' is quite cliche itself, but now, I've probably been off-topic enough. Seriously people, can you at least be a little more creative when you're going ahead to basically say, "I don't want to roleplay with you"? (Not saying you should say that straight out, it's actually kind of mean... ouo')

Listen. No one's going to pity you otherwise if they either 1. Don't know how it feels. 2. Just want to talk to you - And I'm talking about in character. So, I'd rather just ignore these people who use cliche as an excuse... <.<

Sorry if I went too off-topic there...? Nothin' much to say, but eh, can't say I ever encountered people like that much.

Offline Kenji89

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 08:24:53 pm »
I think (at least from my own experience as I've been guilty of this a time or two before) that these situations normally arise whenever an adolescent or pup/cub character tries to join a group. Think about it, if you're newly entering a family, it's a bit tough to come up with a valid reason why you're not with your old family anymore unless you were directly born into the group that you're joining. I'm sure that there could be other reasons why you're joining a new group as a child/adolescent but in the animal world, the only plausible reason why a cub or pup would be pack/prideless would be because they were abandoned or their family unit has been killed.

I dunno, it's a gray area. I think it can just be hard sometimes to come up with a plausible explanation for certain circumstances.

Offline StormClaws68

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • Constantly hunting for RPs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 12:11:28 pm »
I think (at least from my own experience as I've been guilty of this a time or two before) that these situations normally arise whenever an adolescent or pup/cub character tries to join a group. Think about it, if you're newly entering a family, it's a bit tough to come up with a valid reason why you're not with your old family anymore unless you were directly born into the group that you're joining. I'm sure that there could be other reasons why you're joining a new group as a child/adolescent but in the animal world, the only plausible reason why a cub or pup would be pack/prideless would be because they were abandoned or their family unit has been killed.

I dunno, it's a gray area. I think it can just be hard sometimes to come up with a plausible explanation for certain circumstances.

A reason I use (and see others using) is the pup/cub was born into a large wolf pack/lion pride and there wasn't enough food to go around. Being unable to stay fed within the birth pack/pride, it leaves the find a new one.
But typically, if someone is a pup/cub, odds are their parents were killed by something (and usually it's something absurd to have killed that kind of animal in the first place)

Is it getting old? Yes. Not everything is viciously killed by something else people! Let those creative juices flow a little faster than molasses
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 12:58:05 pm by StormClaws68 »

Kellin <3
Click here to view my characters!

If you see me, feel free to say hi!

Offline Metronome

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • IF YOU SMEEEEEELLLLL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKING
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 02:41:35 pm »
I never liked the "My family/friend/wife was killed by humans/wolves/coyotes/lions!" kind of people. These kinds of stories are boring, cliche, and generic. Come up with something better.

"CLIMB THE LADDER KID, MAKE YOURSELF FAMOUS!"- Jim Ross

Video game, zombie, pro wrestling, and giant monster enthusiast. PM if you wish for Steam username.
In-game name: Geekboy27

Offline TheApplePie

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 32
  • I breathe dan howell
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 03:31:04 pm »
In my opinion the whole thing is boring  and shouldn't take place in any roleplay in the first place.
As you have stated before, you roleplayed as a grey fox.
The red fox  made a 'theory' up in a few seconds just to dominate and rp an agressive character.
In the real world, a grey fox would rarely (It may even be impossible in some ways!) come close to a red one if it had a chance to fight.

Also, this only shows that maker wants to be special.
What I see 90% of the times when I play:
A white pup with blue/bright blue eyes called angel/misty and has a horrible story.
OR a pitch black pup with bright red scars and red eyes which has a horrible story, probably parents/family dying or they killed the parents/family themselves. (Impossible. A pup can't kill a *beep* adult wolf.)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 03:34:21 pm by Kiquaii »

let's be emo in a gerard way

http://fiixl.deviantart.com/

ZearTheAkumian

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 12:30:52 am »
Suppose those hostile RPers are shall we say, getting attention even if the character they 'killed' was a young.

For me this is rarely encountered for me(I don't have any characters that are a young age, most are around teen to young adult age), I rarely RP in the forest area of Bonfire, as I just RP up at the TLK hill.

This part is where things start to get messy, most of my characters parents are now deceased, however once I tried RPing a Striped Hyena, then I got slaughtered by a I think a male teen Lion who says his parents were killed by Hyenas.

To my opinion these species haters of like wolves hyenas and such are mostly power-players and/or attention beggars, like they just can't seem to find a RP that's right for them and they decided to become a butcher of a certain species, like for example hyenas.

Some of my characters are bloodthirsty demons who's only love is to slaughter anything that moves, if there in the mood that is, however my TLK character despises hyenas even if her mother was not killed by a hyena(Her mom died after giving birth to her, sad indeed), but I rarely see hyenas ambushing the areas where TLK-ers are.

However I seem to like giving out hints in tips in situations such as these, if these (species name)-killers are still desiring to slaughter your character even if he/she is still on his/her feet, consider blocking them for a while.

Remember player-killing and power-play alongside god-modding is not against the rules.

-MoonwalkingZear

Offline TTamaki

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 04:06:27 am »
o-o Wolves killing  smaller  cats ... makes more sense than  a Coyote killing a Lion... .... And in one of my Bios... I think its on Nkosana... whole pride  demoilshed by a flood. XD 
Loyality and Nobility are the quartilies of a true friend.

Signature @ Stagetechy1991/TTamaki