Author Topic: The dreaded black screen (SOLVED! YAAAAAAAH)  (Read 1682 times)

Offline PoisonIVy12

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
  • Colin the Cornhusky is Life
    • View Profile
    • Professor Flannigan's Lab
The dreaded black screen (SOLVED! YAAAAAAAH)
« on: January 06, 2016, 11:16:46 pm »
So, I got meself a new computer, right? Good graphics card. Good memory. Windows Vista.

But ya know what? WaterMill on the opening screen is objectless, and the character screen is black (aside from my characters). Oh yeah, and in the game, my character falls into complete blackness. (Probably because I don't have my personal maps on that computer, but that doesn't explain the other issues).

I read on one help thread with the identical problem that I should get the Torrent download, which I would do if I could get past my dad's stubbornness. But on this computer I'm using right now, which I've been using to play FH since 2012, I did not need a Torrent download. It's an older computer and operating system than this new one. (Well, not NEW new, but it's new to me.)

Also, and this is a possible problem, my dad said he did not download the game again--- he took the install from this computer and put it on that one. I don't know why. I told him he didn't need to do that. Is it possible that some files were lost in that transfer?

Any help would be appreciated. D:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 10:16:15 pm by Cyrokin »
Find me ingame as PoisonIVy12!

Cy, the eccentric rebel against the world. Oh, and wordsmith. :D

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
Re: The dreaded black screen
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 11:42:29 pm »
Your dad would not let you download FH from this site and instead just transferred the game from your old computer? This is what I'm understanding, but correct me if I'm wrong

For your issues though, I'd make sure that you have your "objects" folder in the right spot and that there is a "WaterMill" folder in your "terrains" folder. The "watermill" folder should have eight separate files in it
Farewell everyone<3

Offline PoisonIVy12

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 11:58:15 pm »
Basically, yeah. He took the installation program and transferred it to the other machine and installed it from there, I think. He said he didn't download anything. He may be more educated computerwise than I am, but this game has too many things that can go wrong if done differently than they're supposed to.

OK... this could potentially be a problem. I found no FeralHeart folder on the C drive of that computer. So I can't check the WaterMill folder. But it's got to be there somewhere, because I pulled up WaterMill in the mapmaker and placed a couple of objects to test.

EDIT: Found the FeralHeart folder, but only the game and "Uninstall FeralHeart" are in it. Still doesn't explain how I can access WaterMill.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 12:03:38 am by Cyrokin »

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 01:20:24 am »
That's weird. I'm afraid I don't know what else to tell you besides explaining to your dad that the game won't work properly unless you download it from this site. Sorry about that
Farewell everyone<3

Offline Hooli

• Used Napkin
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 67
  • uwu
    • hooiigans
    • xmanicz
    • k_tlyn99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 02:19:14 am »
Yeah, what Kiki said, the game isn't gonna work properly unless you download it straight from the site. If your dad is afraid of you getting a virus from the download, I can assure you that the download is completely virus free and is perfectly safe to install.

in-game: hooli

Offline PoisonIVy12

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 02:59:54 am »
I'll attempt to uninstall and download the game directly onto the computer tomorrow. I'll have to do it subvertly though. If I'm still having the issue afterwards, I'll come back to this thread, so leave it open until I confirm that it's worked. Thanks. :)

Offline PoisonIVy12

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 10:55:56 pm »
OK, update on the problem!

For some reason all the files have mysteriously appeared in the FeralHeart folder and I think my dad may have done something about it, but the game still didn't work. I still have the same issue.

But I have another question, one that I didn't think of: Should the FeralHeart folder be under "Program Files"? It isn't on my old computer but it is on the new one, and upon trying to move it, it said "You need an administrator's permission to do this." I was planning on making my account an administrator account but NO, my dad made his the admin account. (It's my computer, dad. >.> )

I believe it should be in the C drive and not a subdirectory of the C drive. Maybe that's why it can't find the files. Could this be the solution to my problem? Just wondering.

Offline PoisonIVy12

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 10:15:50 pm »
YESSSSS!!! I uninstalled and reinstalled Feralheart into its proper destination and it works now! :D

This thread can be locked now~

Offline PrettyReckless

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 218
    • RecklessAce
    • View Profile
Re: The dreaded black screen (SOLVED! YAAAAAAAH)
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 10:47:37 pm »
Happy to see your issue was solved!
I'll be locking this now. <3
RETIRED.