Author Topic: I Know That, But My Character Doesn't Know Yet  (Read 9425 times)

Offline Deal.With.It

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Were all Stories in the end, Just make it a good 1
    • View Profile
Re: I Know That, But My Character Doesn't Know Yet
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2013, 10:21:44 pm »
I agree, or when someone flips out about not knowing what their character's rank is, like if you speak disrespectfully to a royal or someone and they flip out and you're like. Yea, but my charrie doesn't know you ;n;

Rose left the Doctor so the Doctor is Blue,
Ask Donna Where's the Doctor
She'll reply 'Doctor Who?'
Martha and Jack and now both the Ponds
Had a lot of fun but now they're all gone
So ask me again why the TARDIS is blue
There's a Sad man inside with his hearts torn in Two.

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2013, 12:43:02 am »
I agree, or when someone flips out about not knowing what their character's rank is, like if you speak disrespectfully to a royal or someone and they flip out and you're like. Yea, but my charrie doesn't know you ;n;

Exaclty.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Lopunny

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
  • Oof
    • loopylopunny
    • maypheus
    • himelopunny
    • maypheus
    • View Profile
    • WARRIOR'S ROLEPLAY
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2013, 01:27:59 am »

Well here's something that happened earlier today:
Person: The brute began to walk towards Cherry, his green eyes gleaming in the bright sun. His gaze was constant and he refused to blink. This unfamiliar fae could be a threat.
Me:(Cherry) Hey, um, how does your character know my name...if I'm unfamiliar? ))
Person: It was in your character's nametag, therefore I know your name. OF course.))
Me: That's really not how it works. I'd much rather introduce Cherry?...))
Person: It's much easier to read a name then rp the whole thing out...))
Me: I don't care what's easier, I just want to have a fun roleplay.))
Person: Please don't start an argument with me.))
Me: I don't intend to. I was just asking politely...))
Person: Well now this will be awkward...so goodbye.))
Me: Wow.
I don't think he meant it as his character knew your character's name. If not said as dialogue, it is ok to type in the name. Because it's such a pain when you make up a cute description of how the person looks, and if the person doesn't realize it is with him/her the other is trying to engage a RP with, it can easiky become annoying.

So,
Typing in the name of someone you don't know in dialogue: NO
Typing the name so the person may recognize himself/herself, out of dialogue: YES

Deary, I think he might of meant at first that he was just approaching her, as he put down 'the unfamiliar fae' at the end. xD I just was stalking your post and saw that and I was like "wait a minute, maybe he meant something different. owo" I even do that, just not in dialogue, as my character wouldn't know the other's name of course ^^

Check out my website linked on my profile, REINCARNATION : warriors rp

Offline Loveme4ever

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2013, 01:54:40 am »
That also seems to happen when someone types something like, 'She looked at the ground in despair and thought about the previous events, about her mother and father and how she was raised. I=Annoyed by the sadness, she said, "So, how has life in Bonifire been?" All of a sudden, the other RPer instantly knows that my character is sad however, MY CHARACTER NEVER VERBALLY SAID IT. So they respond something like, :I know u r sad cuz ur mom died. dunt be sad." And Im like, STAP!

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2013, 02:12:12 am »

Well here's something that happened earlier today:
Person: The brute began to walk towards Cherry, his green eyes gleaming in the bright sun. His gaze was constant and he refused to blink. This unfamiliar fae could be a threat.
Me:(Cherry) Hey, um, how does your character know my name...if I'm unfamiliar? ))
Person: It was in your character's nametag, therefore I know your name. OF course.))
Me: That's really not how it works. I'd much rather introduce Cherry?...))
Person: It's much easier to read a name then rp the whole thing out...))
Me: I don't care what's easier, I just want to have a fun roleplay.))
Person: Please don't start an argument with me.))
Me: I don't intend to. I was just asking politely...))
Person: Well now this will be awkward...so goodbye.))
Me: Wow.
I don't think he meant it as his character knew your character's name. If not said as dialogue, it is ok to type in the name. Because it's such a pain when you make up a cute description of how the person looks, and if the person doesn't realize it is with him/her the other is trying to engage a RP with, it can easiky become annoying.

So,
Typing in the name of someone you don't know in dialogue: NO
Typing the name so the person may recognize himself/herself, out of dialogue: YES

My thoughts exactly. That's how most dialouge is written in storys, novels, plays, etc. I always thought including a character's name in a roleplay action sentence helps others know who they are speaking of. Of course, just because someone mentions another character's name in their RP line, it doesn't necesarrily mean that they know who they are, they are just trying to be specific on who they are refering to.... if that makes any sense.
I don't think that person really had any rude intentions toward you, Sabrina. I think it was just a little misunderstanding there. A little roleplay misunderstanding. Either that, or they aren't too experienced.
Inactive

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2018, 10:50:19 pm »
It annoys me too whenever characters know what their pilots know, because then there's no chance for the character to introduce themselves in roleplay.

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline turtlies

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 61
  • loves to lurk
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2018, 12:32:21 am »
Oof this is one of my biggest RP pet peeves! Or when someone asks a question OOC when it could easily be asked IC and not disrupt the flow of the RP. I like to have a bit of suspense with my characters, and it's more fun to roleplay characters interacting and learning more about each other's personalities, even if you already know it yourself.

he/him
bro what if i put my feralheart cave next to yours.. bro what if they only had one flattened bush mesh to lay on and we had to share... haha just kidding... unless...?

Offline Kahbloom

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 45
  • Happy Camper
    • Kahbloom
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2018, 01:36:10 am »
Ugh. Yessss.
This really gets under my skin, lol. It doesn't really happen a ton to me anymore, but it happens enough that it can be a little annoying!

Characters =/= the people role-playing them. Role-play should be separate from OOC in my opinion. I like to play out the story! That's the whole "fun" part about role-playing to me.
Please say hello if you see me in-game!
kahbloom.deviantart.com

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2018, 07:00:07 pm »
Oh hell I last posted in here when I was a child. My skin is leaving my body and my soul is being sucked into a vacuum.

I've encountered this a lot on other roleplay servers, but I've noticed that with older players it doesn't happen as often. When there's a more 'serious' tone to everything, people are more aware of how their characters behave/what the character knows.

For example, I got to partake in a 40k roleplay where a higher ranking official had an illegitimate child some odd years ago, and it was later revealed that my character was that -Removed by moderator-. It was kept secret even OOCly to make the surprise more... Impactful.

Another example, in this Pathfinder/DND group I'm in, we had a scare where our Big Bad was gonna possess a small child because of his parents. We went above and beyond to protect it before birth, and assumed that when he mentioned a host from that family, he meant the baby.
It made sense for our characters to not think ahead, so when we literally gave him the host he wanted[A cousin who was summoned to help guard the bab], none of us knew until it was too late.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 03:01:58 am by Kikiorylandia »

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972