Author Topic: Simple Map Making Question (For people with Paint tool Sai)  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Willowwisp

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
So I just re-downloaded FH in hopes that the game runs smoother on my new computer, and I've decided I really wanna try making a map! Except I don't want to download GIMP and I have Paint Tool Sai instead, but there is (as far as I know) no grey scale mode. When I did save a test height map in just black/white (I saw somewhere it would work) it crashed the game so I'm guessing that's not how to do it. I know there's a way, but can anyone tell me what it is?

Offline Hooli

• Used Napkin
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 67
  • uwu
    • hooiigans
    • xmanicz
    • k_tlyn99
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Map Making Question (For people with Paint tool Sai)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 09:24:16 pm »
Although it's the wrong place, Sai should work fine; I genuinely don't see why it wouldn't, providing it's saved in the correct format (I've never used GIMP myself for maps!). I'll give it a go in a moment- just to see if it there is an issue. :D

Edit: There is an issue! Sai doesn't appear to have a grayscale mode which is seemingly pivotal for map-making. Whilst the map I quickly scribbled is solely made of grays:

It's still in RGB mode (aka, you can still use colours on it); Sai doesn't seem to have an option to swap to Grayscale (which I think GIMP does). It's best to use GIMP or Photoshop I'm afraid!

From the Manual:

3. The image must be saved/edited in grayscale mode and cannot consist of or use colours(If not the game will crash)

in-game: hooli

Offline Willowwisp

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 09:25:42 pm »
That's what I was worried about v.v I knew there needed to be that mode, but I just was hoping I wouldn't have to download more programs. I suppose it's time to download more space.

Offline Hooli

• Used Napkin
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 67
  • uwu
    • hooiigans
    • xmanicz
    • k_tlyn99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 09:28:16 pm »
That's what I was worried about v.v I knew there needed to be that mode, but I just was hoping I wouldn't have to download more programs. I suppose it's time to download more space.

Aye, sadly that's the case.  :-[
Hopefully sometime in the future SAI gets an update with a grayscale mode.

in-game: hooli