Author Topic: Map Making Question (not really a help post)  (Read 1917 times)

Offline JordyWild

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
Map Making Question (not really a help post)
« on: May 14, 2020, 06:58:48 am »
I wasn't sure where else to put this...but this isn't really 'I need help' type situation, more of a question, let me know if I need to move it to another thread!

So, anyway, long story short. I want to make a map, but I also have a friend of mine that wants to help me make that map, question is...is that possible? Let me break it down for you, basically my question is, is there a way that a map can be sent back and forth and both people can edit it? Is that even possible? I did look at the Member Made Tutorials board, and saw a couple that covered this question, but alot of them were either years ago and the game has been updated since then or...they were really vague and didn't make much sense to me, of course...that might be just me.

So if anyone could link me to a decent, updated tutorial around this subject, confirm if its possible or not, or even explain how it can happen would be much appreciated!

Offline Dark_heart

• Professional Razmirz's Cheese Stealer
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 83
  • -- Moving account --
    • View Profile
Re: Map Making Question (not really a help post)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 07:06:29 am »
Just upload the height map file to MediaFire or Google Drive and send the link to a friend.   ;)
On new account Aiiokia

Offline Kitterr

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • joe mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 07:13:32 am »
Those tutorials of old should still work, as old tutorials can still be used, I've used many a tutorial from long ago.
i'm back cause i'm bored as hell.

Offline JordyWild

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 04:11:43 pm »
Alright ill have to try that then! Thank you, dark_heart!

Offline Dark_heart

• -- Moving account --
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 05:05:27 pm »
No problem  ;D
On new account Aiiokia

SpicyDirt

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 05:20:55 pm »
As Dark said, your best bet would be to upload it. If you are doing more than the height map (you are also adding in objects and such), then you're gonna need to send the whole files themselves back and forth whenever someone adds something new.

Offline VortexAlive

• Eevee Knight
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 180
  • A wild floof has appeared!
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • View Profile
    • VortexAlive is Rawrsome
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 07:39:46 pm »
GitHub might be an option for filesharing needs with more than one person working on a project.
For the sake of my own health and interests, I've left FH and I won't be looking back.

Offline JordyWild

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 08:43:44 pm »
Hello everyone! Thanks for all the replies! I know its been a couple of days now, but my friend just attempted to edit the map for the first time but they are saying the height map isn't loading for them...Any ideas on how to fix that?

I sent them both the height map and mask, i even sent them the .fhm and .map files, along with all of the maps .cfg and .material files annnddd all the object, mesh and texture packs that were in the map, I put it all into a .zip file and uploaded it to mediafire, sent it to them, they downloaded the .zip file, and extracted it and put everything in their respectful places and they hopped on the game, went into map maker and tried to load the height map and they said it wont load for them...Did i miss something I should've sent? Or are they doing something wrong on their end?

Offline Dark_heart

• -- Moving account --
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 04:22:23 am »
You should send whole folder (its name is name of your map) what you can find in FeralHeart -> media -> terrains.

Does your friend have GIMP? If not, he should install it (GIMP or Photoshop), because any maps made and / or opened in Paint will not work. Also
make sure that the image is as flat as possible, you work on only one layer, the dimensions are 513x513, and make sure that the shades of gray are always one hundred percent gray (for example: R: 120 G: 120 B: 120, no. can be R: 120 G: 121 B: 120).
On new account Aiiokia

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 04:26:59 am »
Just to be more clear, the files that you need to send over are the folder in the terrains folder and the .map file in the terrain folder.

So in FeralHeart>media>terrains look for the file called YOUR_MAP_NAME.map (with obvious substitute) and the folder with the name of your map.

That will keep the file size to a minimum for you but if you feel that just copying the terrain folder as a whole seems easier, that will also work.
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.