Author Topic: weird startup issue??  (Read 1947 times)

dollzie

weird startup issue??
« on: June 08, 2018, 10:55:42 pm »
i haven't played in months so there's really nothing much i can say.

anyone know what could have caused this? like i said, haven't played in months, therefore any of my files have remained untouched... i'd rather not have to reinstall, but if it comes to that i will.

Offline D-ead7Dog

• AFK NPC
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 97
  • BUMPY SNOW
    • D-ead7Dog
    • d-ead7dog
    • View Profile
Re: weird startup issue??
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 11:07:51 pm »
Have you tried to run it as administrator?
Or when it starts up changing the Rendering Subsystem?
Also depending on how long it's been since you've last played Feralheart it has had an update so you may need to update your FH
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 11:16:50 pm by D-ead7Dog »

Artwork (c) Lynxbrush & CosmicFatality

Originally registered January 15, 2011

Lucius

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 11:57:52 pm »
This stuff was prevalent in Skyrim when all the ENB and SweetFX mods came into play on Windows 10 machines, or when someone upgraded their NVidia graphics card drivers.

Since the default FH doesn't use dxgi.dll, d3d9.dll, or d3d11.dll, I'm assuming that you installed SweetFX for FH. These mods usually come with a file called dxgi.dll, which contains the CreateDXGIFactory2 function. Oddly enough, d3d11.dll does not contain the function, and I still have no idea why Windows tries to find it there, unless it's something to do with DirectX11.

If D-ead7Dog's suggestion of running it as administrator doesn't work, here's some other stuff to try:
(Remember to backup any files in the FH folder that you will be modifying/overwriting before you try these)

Solution 1. Re-install whatever SweetFX mod you had, making sure to allow the files from the installation to override the existing ones in the FH folder. Do this if you recently updated your Windows or graphic card drivers.

Solution 2. Deleting the dxgi.dll and dxgi.fx will fix your problem, but could also render the SweetFX useless depending on the version of DirectX that the game uses. SweetFX uses dxgi.dll and d3d9.dll as a way of injecting into the game based on the DirectX version. d3d9.dll is for DirectX 9 and I think dxgi.dll is for DirectX 10 and up, so you don't need both. I believe that the version used by FH is DirectX 9.

Solution 3. Copy and paste the dxgi.dll from your FH folder onto your desktop and rename it to d3d11.dll, before pasting it back to your FH folder.

Solution 4. Check your System32 folder for these two files: dxgi.dll and d3d11.dll. Copy and paste them to your FH folder and override the existing one(s).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 12:02:28 am by Lucius »

Offline D-ead7Dog

• AFK NPC
  • BUMPY SNOW
    • D-ead7Dog
    • d-ead7dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 12:02:14 am »
This stuff was prevalent in Skyrim when all the ENB and SweetFX mods came into play on Windows 10 machines, or when someone upgraded their NVidia graphics card drivers.

Since the default FH doesn't use dxgi.dll, d3d9.dll, or d3d11.dll, I'm assuming that you installed SweetFX for FH. These mods usually come with a file called dxgi.dll, which contains the CreateDXGIFactory2 function. Oddly enough, d3d11.dll does not contain the function, and I still have no idea why Windows tries to find it there, unless it's something to do with DirectX11.

If D-ead7Dog's suggestion of running it as administrator doesn't work, here's some other stuff to try:
(Remember to backup any files in the FH folder that you will be modifying/overwriting before you try these)

1. Deleting the dxgi.dll and dxgi.fx will fix your problem, but could also render the SweetFX useless depending on the version of DirectX that the game uses. SweetFX uses dxgi.dll and d3d9.dll as a way of injecting into the game based on the DirectX version. d3d9.dll is for DirectX 9 and I think dxgi.dll is for DirectX 10 and up, so you don't need both. I believe that the version used by FH is DirectX 9.

2. Check your System32 folder for these two files: dxgi.dll and d3d11.dll. Copy and paste them to your FH folder and override the existing one(s).

3. Re-install whatever SweetFX mod you had, making sure to allow the files from the installation to override the existing ones in the FH folder.

4. Copy and paste the dxgi.dll from your FH folder onto your desktop and rename it to d3d11.dll, before pasting it back to your FH folder.

I was gonna suggest that too but fh does not have a file in the folder called dxgi.dll or d3d11.dll.[at least in the FH folder itself.] ;o; I searched it up in the fh folder before i posted.
But either way there is no harm in trying that. XD

dollzie

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 05:49:41 pm »
yes, i have the SweetFX mod, however it never worked correctly to begin with- it never caused issues within the game, but only certain things were effected by it, so i have no use for it. i'm assuming getting rid of the mod altogether would solve the issue if that is what's causing it (i tried all those other things beforehand)? i've got two uninstall applications within the fh folder, does anyone know for sure if both of those are for the game itself or if one of them might be for the mod?

Offline D-ead7Dog

• AFK NPC
  • BUMPY SNOW
    • D-ead7Dog
    • d-ead7dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 05:52:22 pm »
yes, i have the SweetFX mod, however it never worked correctly to begin with- it never caused issues within the game, but only certain things were effected by it, so i have no use for it. i'm assuming getting rid of the mod altogether would solve the issue if that is what's causing it (i tried all those other things beforehand)? i've got two uninstall applications within the fh folder, does anyone know for sure if both of those are for the game itself or if one of them might be for the mod?

What applications are they?

dollzie

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 05:55:41 pm »
the first two are just setup/uninstall (unnins000 and unnins001) and i just found another with same name except it has .dat at its extension.

Offline D-ead7Dog

• AFK NPC
  • BUMPY SNOW
    • D-ead7Dog
    • d-ead7dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 05:57:12 pm »
the first two are just setup/uninstall (unnins000 and unnins001) and i just found another with same name except it has .dat at its extension.

Remove the unninst001
this is what you should keep.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 05:59:49 pm by D-ead7Dog »

dollzie

Re: weird startup issue?? (fixed)
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 06:17:22 pm »
they've been deleted. i also went ahead and googled how to manually remove SweetFX, i was able to do so without further problems. everything is working fine now, thanks guys! <3

Offline D-ead7Dog

• AFK NPC
  • BUMPY SNOW
    • D-ead7Dog
    • d-ead7dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 06:18:58 pm »
they've been deleted. i also went ahead and googled how to manually remove SweetFX, i was able to do so without further problems. everything is working fine now, thanks guys! <3

have fun!! :)