Author Topic: --- The Hera ---  (Read 4842 times)

Offline Wizardmymom

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • probably suffering rn
    • the-aquamama
    • pharahraptor
    • View Profile
--- The Hera ---
« on: January 27, 2013, 03:07:40 pm »
~The Hera~
A Hera is also known as the 'Death Trap' or 'Deadly Beauty' It is a winged wolf with odd markings
and the ability to hide it's wings from veiw.

A female Hera

History

Hera where started when a human took the blood of a bat and placed it into a (beautiful) female wolf. The result was the Hera. The old human managed to make a male, and Hera went free. They soon covered everywhere, and where getting in the way of a lot.
Humans soon started to kill the beasts and sell their pelts for high money. Few are left, but they are still managing to live in the skies and deep forests.

Apperence

Hera look like large bats from far away. But as they get closer, you can tell they are not. Even in their black color, their markings are dark blue. Under female's eyes is a blue line, which is how you can normally tell gender. Females are also more skinny then males. Males are more bulky and strong, while females are willowy and not-so-strong.
Markings are often swirly, except on the tail. The tail often has lines, not swirls and spirals like the rest of the body.

They have large claws and paws, but kinda small heads. This makes it easier to land, and to attack. Their skull is weak, making a single blow to a young one deadly.
Males have large tufts and manes on their back, used to attract a female. Females have longer fur, though.

Behaviour

Hera are very social creatures. They used to live in packs of over 100, but now as they are in smaller numbers, the largest pack known to still live has 15. Hera males and females alike have a 'game' they play that has something to do with their beauty (Yes, even the males are beautiful). The wolves use small magic and make their wings turn invisible, so they look like your every day wolf with odd markings. They then find a wolf pack, and lure out some of the opposite gender. Being quite dumb, the Hera kill the wolf right after they show their wings.

In a pack, when the time for mating season (Late summer early fall) comes, the males puff out their back frills and dance around the female they wish to mate with. If the female lays on her back, that means 'Yes, I will let you.' if the female lays with her head down or curled up, it means, 'No, I won't let you.' Some Hera mate for life, while most never mate with the same male more then twice.

When it comes to territory, Hera are very sensitive. They will mark the same tree two times a day by urinating or scratching it. Most males use their magic to set up a kind of alarm system, that tells the male if friend, prey, or foe pass it.  Females cannot do that.

When a female gets pregnant, the male she mates with has nothing to do with her. Other females who won't give birth help with the ones who will, by hunting for them or cleaning the area. When the time for birth comes (Late spring early summer, depending on if they mated in the usual time), all the wolves ready to give birth enter the same den. Two other females stay in there to help, but no males stay in. They are normally out hunting for the new mothers.

Born blind and deaf, they cannot do much. At two weeks, they can leave the mother's safe fur and wander the den to meet other pups. At one year, they can leave the den and wander in a nearby area when watched. At two years, they are fully grown and start the mating cycle.

Communication

To communicate, the Hera use barks, whistles, howls, growls, snarls, and whimpers. Growls and snarls are use as a warning to other intruding Hera. Barks and whistles are used for day-to-day 'conversation' with other pack members. Whimpers are normally used by pups who want attention, to show fear, or by a lower rank welcoming a higher rank (like beta or alpha).

Making a Hera Character

Size: F) Short, long, skinny | M) Large, bulky
Head: Large eyes, Smallish ears, Short muzzle, F) no cheak | M) little cheak.
Markings: Body + Head) Swirly | Tail) Lines
Items: Bat wings, Any gemstones or leaves.
Colors: Markings) Gray-blue | Main body) Black or dark gray
Trans, gay, and ready to play

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
Re: --- The Hera ---
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 12:44:54 am »
Wow, that's a detailed species. o-o I rather like how the males will fluff up their back manes and dance for their ladyfriend. x3 Cuteness~

And it seems to me like you could almost make a preset for these guys with transparent wings, for when they hide them. I 'unno.

Very creativez~
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 06:32:12 pm »
o-o I like the species! I might end up making one ^^
Farewell everyone<3

Offline Wizardmymom

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • probably suffering rn
    • the-aquamama
    • pharahraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 05:21:01 pm »
-Yawns after VERY long afk from FH-
Oh, why thank you ;D
Trans, gay, and ready to play

Hebe

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 02:28:17 pm »
I have a character named Hera that looks almost like a Hera. o.o.
BUT ANYWHOO, I'ma make one<3. c: They're a very beautiful species (even if they're black) and I love their behaviour.
-Flys off to make one-