Author Topic: Everwolves  (Read 1693 times)

Offline kiaz1st

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 44
  • The Rogue
    • kiaz1st
    • kiaz1st
    • kiaz1st
    • View Profile
    • Kiaz Site
Everwolves
« on: October 18, 2014, 07:31:40 pm »
I think I've left it far too long to show you all the foundations of my 3-year-old pack. Everwolves were, yes, inspired by werewolves. But they do have their differences, as you may see if you make it through this essay-long piece of writing on them xD good luck.

This was copy-and-pasted from where I originally wrote it on DeviantART, here: everwolves.deviantart.com
(Might just tell you that I'm still working on the page, so it's pretty barren x3)

This is pretty plain, as I'm using an iPad, so no fancy fonts and colours and whatnot.

---

The Everwolf, a species derived from a prehistoric origin, an ancestory of beasts and mythology, a story of legend itself. Rare, mysterious and deadly creatures, twice the size of a wolf and ten times as fierce. Intelligent, fast, cunning. A brute at its best.

Many myths and stories swirl around this species. They are creatures who have been shrouded by their legendary cousins, the Werewolf. They fell into fantasy and old folk stories, forgotten and lost in time. Only recent scientific studies have revealed that their kind truly exists, endangered and driven to the most extreme locations in order to avoid human contact. Scientists are still studying the species, however from afar, at a safe distance. In order to learn more about these beasts, we must first delve into their past, their evolution, and most importantly, we must first understand their extinct cousins.

Their evolutionary history starts millions of years back, a time newly rid of dinosaurs, a time where mammals could take their step forward. And out of this came a predator unlike any other of it's time. The Direwolf was a hunter among the best, not only the ancestor to the wolves we know and love today, but also of our own canine creatures. The Everwolves history starts with a creature worthy of a place in our story. While the wolves branched off into their own line of species, the fist ever Werewolves evolved from the same source.

The Werewolves that first hunted on the ancient dry plains back then are far yet from the Werewolves we know of in our legends, but they had a long way to go yet. The Werewolves hunted very large prehistoric prey, sometimes twice their size, and so, as a result, developed large back leg muscles. These muscles allowed the still young species of the Werewolf to rear up on it's hind legs for up to 4-5 seconds. This allowed them to develope a hunting style where the hunter would rear up over its prey and come crashing down on it with all of its weight, usually aimed at the neck or back. The large muscles also allowed them to be propelled forward at an alarming speed to any unfortunate prey.

The next stage evolution took to create a formidable predator would be something quiet revolutionary in scientific terms. The Werewolf became the first mammal to develope venom sacks just behind the canines. The venom sacks connected to the fangs, which had become larger than average in order to 'inject' the venom into the bloodstream. It was an effective way of bringing down very large prey, too large for the average Werewolf to take down.

Many of thousands of years past, and one single Werewolf pup was born who would change the course of the Werewolves species' future dramatically. This pup, a strong and healthy creature, was born with a slight and unidentifiable mutation. It was a mutation that would never be recognised until thousands of years afterwards. The pup was born, like others, with venom already in their venom sacks. But within this venom was also his gene codes, mixed in with the poison that was designed to kill prey. The poison was completely harmless to their own species, which was neccasary, as Werewolves fought within their pack to gain their ranks. Yet as our certain Werewolf fought with his pack members, he transferred his genes to each of those he fought. While this had no emediate effect on his fellow members, their kin inherited his ability to pass on their gene through their venom.

With this one pack, out of hundreds, it would seem likely that this strange inheritance  would eventually die out. But there was one factor that would challenge this prediction. Werewolves were extremely territorial. When a loner entered beyond a pack's territory boundaries, it would be extremely unlikely for them to get away without a few scratches. With the genetics to pass on this special venom within them, they would then travel to another pack's territory and so on. Soon the species had developed the mutation into their genes, and that was that. At first weak, it had no real effect on any other species of animal, and the normal venom still did it's job, but it wouldn't be until thousands of years later that it would change to become something more. Stronger, and far more potent, this gene-transferring ability would be able to convert to humans. However, that is a story for Werewolves, while we must now step back a bit in the timeline, back to when this gene venom had first been developed within each Werwolf.

At the point where the Werewolf species had newly harboured the gene-venom, a new species branched off from the main line. This species is our very own Everwolf. The less known Everwolves, instead of developing stronger venom, they developed stronger hind legs. Able to chase down large prey, with many of the same tactics of their ancestors, they found they did not rely on their venom as much as their larger cousins, yet however found it usefull for another reason. As the species became fewer and fewer in numbers, they found a new way to keep their packs intact. Wolves. Wolves had a similar enough gene code already, that the addition of the Everwolf's genes was enough to fully convert a normal wolf. The horrific experience takes about 20 minutes, and it still unsure how the wolf survives the morph. Some don't. This not only allowed the species to survive, but with all the different species of wolf, it introduced a whole new dexterity and variety into statures and pelt colours. Each individual Everwolf could be more easily identified with a new range of colours and markings.

Let's focus on the Everwolf's anatomy a little more. The Everwolf comes in many shapes and sizes, from lean and sleek, to big and muscular, they are a true rainbow of variety. Let's fist look at the basics. The Everwolf stand about a foot taller than a normal wolf. Their back legs are always powerful enough to rear up for up to 20 seconds. They will always have 'fangs', which are larger than normal canines, in order to pass their venom into the blood stream. They will have long 'finger-like' toes, not flexible enough to hold objects, but flexible enough to grip, ether to climb, or to hold and tear into tough skins. Other than those basics, there are endless variables.

An Everwolf can have an amazing array of different eye types, the most common being the black sclera and the 'fire' pupil. An Everwolf also has a 1/10th chance of having a 'full iris', as it is called, meaning no pupil is visible. It is still unknown what effect this has on their sight, but it is speculated to improve their far-distance view. The true science of how they see with this new  eye type is still unknown however. Eyes can also come in any colour, including the most uncommon among natural animals, such as purple or red.

Everwolves can inhabit a variety of habitats, including deciduous and coniferous forests, tundras, and sometimes as far north as to come upon full arctic regions. Their territories depend on their numbers and strengths, and also how much prey is available. While not territorial with other predators, Everwolves will not tolerate other Everwolves in large numbers on their land. Loners over the age of two years may be accepted into the pack, but large numbers may intimidate an alpha and his pack, resulting in a fight, usually with the loners being driven away. Wolves under 2 years of age will not be accepted, as to ensure a strong pack bloodline.

Everwolves will mate for life, and unlike wolf packs, any two Everwolves can mate, no matter the rank. This, along with loners and morphed wolves, ensures that there will be no inbreeding, as numbers are scarce.

And so, this is the legacy of of the little known Everwolf, hidden from humans for centuries, and while scientists do not know all that is to be known on Everwolves, they are making slow progress.

---

thank you for reading this, it is quiet a feat. I hope didn't bore you. Due to the fact that I cannot draw anything at the moment, I decided to write as much of it down as I could.

Species(c)kiaz1st

Have a question? Don't be afraid to ask! As founder of this species, it is my duty to ensure anyone who isn't fully informed on such creature, understands it properly x3

If you wish to create an Everwolf, go ahead, but it would be muc appreciated if you tell me, so that I can keep track of the species, how many there are, who has them, etc etc.

Also, if you have made one in-game (by some slim chance) and you would like to check that it is okay, and fit to take the honorary title of an Everwolf, just PM me a screenshot, and I'll help you the best I can x3
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 07:36:47 pm by Kiaz »