Author Topic: Model of map/area into mesh?  (Read 625 times)

Offline A.P.S.

• Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 38
    • View Profile
Model of map/area into mesh?
« on: April 05, 2019, 08:16:29 am »
I haven't messed with Feral-Heart models and such for a while, and I've tried this before, but I've never liked trying to get models and meshes to work. I'm doing good to get blender open. However, I've wondered if it's possible to take a model of a map or area, convert it into a mesh, and use it as a map?

It's a bit hard to explain but let's say you wanted... Snowdin from Undertale, or The Glen from OneShot, to be a map in Feral-Heart. Find a (for these two examples, a 3D fanmade) model of the area, and then convert it and use it as a mesh for the entire/most of the map.

If collisions didn't work, you could put in invisible floors and walls, so that'd be the least of concerns.

Sorry if this isn't really in the right section. It's more of a "can you do it" than a "my game broke" kinda thing, but I thank you for reading despite this.

If it's possible, a picture or even video tutorial for someone who has problems with this kinda thing would be appreciated.

Offline Vilivikhorith

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • \n\n\n\n
    • View Profile
Re: Model of map/area into mesh?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 10:21:31 am »
In theory, this is entirely possible and many games do just this rather than taking a heightmap image. Infact, a heightmap terrain is a mesh itself, it is just generated from a 2d map into 3d. With an actual mesh, you'd also be able to have caves without a loading screen. The only issue I can see is having geometry that is too complex (many vertices) for the vertex collisions that FeralHeart does with meshes, which I imagine will have quite poor performance on something large and complex. If that's the case, you can try using similar but less complex geometry for collisions (this won't be too good for hills though).

As for the generation of a 3d model from heightmap for Blender; perhaps there is some (Blender) addon that does that. If not, perhaps I will get curious and give it a try.

Offline A.P.S.

• Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Model of map/area into mesh?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 01:34:21 am »
Thank you for the test, do let me know how it turns out. :D

I know I messed with addons for Blender when trying to do stuff with Impressive Title/KITO, but I never got anywhere.