6 (31.6%)
Semi-Realistic
12 (63.2%)
Non-Realistic
1 (5.3%)
Not Sure
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Realistic, Semi-Realistic, Or Non-Realistic  (Read 5648 times)

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
Realistic, Semi-Realistic, Or Non-Realistic
« on: May 05, 2013, 09:07:40 pm »
Hi guys!

I was in Flourite Plains near Stone Bridge when I started to take notice of all the types of characters around me. Realistic, semi-realistic, and non-realistic. Which one do you prefer? If your mind suddenly went blank for a second then I'll go over the meanings with you.

What Is Realistic?
Realistic is what you would see on an animal in real life. Most of time time it's no unrealistic markings, no neon/bright colors, no wings, no odd ears or tails ect.

What Is Semi-Realisic?
Semi-Realistic is kinda in the middle of realistic and non-realistic. Some realistic stuff but not all neon. A majority of the time its mostly but not all the time, realistic colors with unrealistic markings. You can also have unrealistic eye color.
Ex.

What Is Non-Realisic?
Non-realistic is simple. Bright, neon colors. Sometimes there's also: odd ears and/or tails and/or wings.
Ex.

Which Do You Prefer? Vote Now!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:15:59 am by ~Stargazer~ »

Preset Download
Will be less active until October 7th.

BouncyLion101

Re: Realistic, Semi-Realistic, Or Non-Realistic
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 11:50:40 pm »
I prefer unrealistic characters, just because of the variety of choices you have.
And also I have this thing that I almost always make evil characters and it's harder for me to make more evil and dark characters when I'm limited to the character having to be realistic.

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 11:05:26 pm »
I prefer semi-realistic characters when I'm RPing such as the ones below:

Or This...

When I'm just gonna derp around I normally chose this:

So... I'm really a semi-realistic person - non-realistic person
(Don't forget to vote ;))

Preset Download

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 11:10:48 pm »
I 'unno, I honestly like a fair share of different characters. I love realism, but adding an unrealistic, sometimes surreal and unusual touch to my characters has always been a delight in my eyes (probably a reason I so adore FH). xD

Personally, though, I sit in the middle at semi-realistic. I don't usually like bright neons, but non-realistic characters can sometimes be nice. Take my winged lion, Linger, for example-- he's semi-realistic, leaning more toward non-realistic, but even my non-realistic characters still have little touches of realism to them.
I suppose it's also up to interpretation as to what you consider to fit in each category, as well.
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

ThrillexForLife

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 11:30:05 pm »
I kinda a Realistic and semi-realistic person. I think it's fun to be both because you can basically do things in real life and make roleplays in your own way..So I think pretty cool.

For unrealistic, I hardly do..I only do when I'm bored or what to do something interesting..For example, making vampires and werewolves..What? there interesting, especially watching shows of them..Like Teen Wolf. But yeah..There pretty all of them. :3

Offline Feareh

• The Jaguar Artist
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 195
  • Where is the Walrus Species?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 11:31:46 pm »
Me personally I love to be semi-realistic, but at the same time non-realistic as well. I find that looking out at everyone's characters there are so many endless creations people can make, I've seen good realistic characters, and really good non-realistic ones as well.

For example, I have two characters I'm seen on all the time. And that would be Feareh and Baku
Feareh

Feareh is a semi realistic creatur with still unnatural pelt colors and a moving underbelly. This is as normal as any of my characters are really, mostly 99% of all my characters I have are non-realistic to semi-realistic
Baku DTEC

Now I love this character for obvious reasons. Having a skull face and moving texture makes him stand out from the typical skull face crowd.

But...is there anything wrong with being realistic, no. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. Everyone has there vision of "beauty" and "How a character should look like" moments. Although I'm not to much of a fan on seriously bright whole pelt neon colors so I don't use them myself, but like I said...there is nothing wrong with that if that's your thing.
I Stalk from time to time...I have moved on to other things but do miss this place. Good times
Add me on discord:
Bakujio 🐺#7358

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 12:07:10 am »
I think all of your opinions are very thought through. I love all of them

Preset Download

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 12:23:25 am »
I usually like making semi-realistic characters but rp realistically. I don't care/like neons much, and I haven't pressed the button for wings for quite some time now.

Kamaria is semi-realistic, has wolf colors but unrealistic markings:

I don't fancy making realistic characters, non-realistic and semi-realistic for me. ;) I guess most people are, because you're limited more when making realistic characters.

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 12:40:13 am »
I usually like making semi-realistic characters but rp realistically. I don't care/like neons much, and I haven't pressed the button for wings for quite some time now.

Cool. I have a lot of semi-realistic characters too.

Preset Download

Offline Silhouette

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 01:59:10 pm »
Semi-realistic or unrealistic but leaning toward the latter. I have mixed feelings about realistic character designs. I guess it kind of goes back to the "limitaton" factor. There are only so many colors of each animal in nature. Sure there is a little variety here and there but when you're trying to create something unique for yourself, I only partly understand the desire people have to "stick to the book." [In terms of design, not the actual roleplay the character is used in, that I understand.]

Yes, nature is pretty, realism can be gorgeous but unfortunately I dont think Feral Heart is set up to imitate that kind of beauty. Don't get me wrong, some people do a fine job of making presets for them or depict their design very well in their own artwork but at the end of the day a default gray and tan marking-less texture on a 3-D character with crayon-yellow eyes is pretty....boring? I dont know what word to use here without sounding impolite, but I would much rather stand out a bit. I mean, Ill be honest I don't necesarily /like/ the neon green and bright pink ones because they hurt  my eyes but there are some days I would rather see /that/ done twenty different ways than I would twenty of the exact same carbon-copy gray and tan wolf. [Or for the felines, beige colored lions/lionesses.]

I personally like to expirement and put real markings in "fake" colors or place they don't belong. Stripes and rosettes are normally found on big cats, so I put them on canines. And I like it. Spots from a dalmatian or ticking on a border collie's face? Lets throw it on a wolf hybrid or an African Wild Dog or turn that African Wild Dog an entirely different set of color so that it is /almost/ merle. Or put merle on a wolf. I feel like they are things, that although DNA does not dictate them that way "could" have happened. [Well, other than the odd colors, thats beside the point].

These are some of my characters, I figured they'd give a better view of what Im trying to explain here.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 02:08:23 pm by Silhouette »