Author Topic: FeralHeart Logic vs. Realistic Logic  (Read 3755 times)

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
FeralHeart Logic vs. Realistic Logic
« on: March 17, 2014, 03:21:48 am »

Picture this as a real life encounter between brion a lion and ryena the hyena. Is there something wrong? (exclude how the two animals have human heads. i put the heads there as an inside-ish joke)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really wanted to talk about this for most of the week. It seems to me that the realistic feel that some players aim for is far away from them in a case. You know, the wonderful lions in the real deal, ruling the savannah with all their strength, are very protective over their territory. They would chase off to even kill every known threat in their sight. Lions, especially when there are cubs around (usually in lion role-play groups on this game have cubs), will chase off, for example, a loner lion or hyena(s) for their cubs own safety. Lions are smart animals, they wouldn't like to risk chances of their own offspring getting killed. On this game, FeralHeart, when a lion warns a player playing an animal that may be a natural threat to the lion species about lets say territory, the other player starts having a fit. Real lions don't even ask if the could-be-threat could step off their territory, and real hyenas do not throw a tantrum. They just go right to the chasing.

I know map/territory claiming is against the rules in public maps, and I know it's disrespectful to kill someone out of the blue, but if a roleplay wants to be realistic, there should be some strict rules on territory and what species can or cannot be permitted. At least the (example) hyena should just do what a lion tells them to if they told them kindly to move farther away, no matter if it's a OOC or a roleplay character, not have a BF. Maybe the could-be-threat can fight back?

The same goes with asking someone if you can eat them. I know it's disrespectful to just attack someone and eat them without the player's word, but the so-be-prey could at least play along by ether letting the predator eat them or the prey could run away. Like a lion and a hyena, a wolf really doesn't ask a doe if he can eat her. It could be respectful to ask, but realistically, a wolf will just cut right into the chase.

Before you go against me, I am talking about calm players, like what brion the lion in the drawing above is acting like. I am not talking about the awkwardly colored lions or wolves who yell "UR IN MI TARATORAY KILS NO MIS!!11!11!!1". How that makes a difference is that one, the awkward player can't instantly kill another, because that isn't realistic ether, and two, the awkward lion is pretty much demanding the could-be-threat to leave. He is not giving the option to leave or fight back.

What are your thoughts about this?

ENDNOTE: Heck, this game is pretty unrealistic because of the chat box, but realistic prides/packs should be strict on what should be in their territory or not if they really want to be very realistic like they aim to be. And no, I am not saying that all group roleplayers need to be strict about their territory, that is not my point. I am generally talking about how unrealistic it is for a hyena to throw a fit because they're in a lion's territory and a member of the pride found out.

Offline IcyFrost

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 25
  • what is life? life is cheese.
    • View Profile
Re: FeralHeart Logic vs. Realistic Logic
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 03:47:06 am »
I have been waiting for somebody to bring this up ouo
Even though that it's not always the odd colored wolves and lions who say that.. It's pretty much every person who doesn't have very good grammar in RP. I see a lot of people yell / randomly killing (In RP, I hope... ~Shifty eyes~) wolves/ lions on site. If we could claim territory, it would be impossible to know if somebody claimed part of the land. There's no option to leave a scent mark or draw a line... O.o
This was hilarious, but still a good point. +Floof ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 03:50:38 am by IcyFrost »

Because yes, everyone needs Canada in their signatures.

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 04:37:26 am »
I assume yer referrin' to the mapless role-plays, aye? If that is so, then ye've brought to my attention both a realization and a subtle opposition both interminglin' among the other. This makes it difficult for me to decipher which key-point I've just read in yer sentiment when it comes to my own. I s'pose I'll start in statin' the minor flaws in said speculation.

For starters, ye' mentioned the followin':

I know map/territory claiming is against the rules in public maps, and I know it's disrespectful to kill someone out of the blue, but if a roleplay wants to be realistic, there should be some strict rules on territory and what species can or cannot be permitted. At least the (example) hyena should just do what a lion tells them to if they told them kindly to move farther away, no matter if it's a OOC or a roleplay character,

I have to both agree and disagree with this. I agree on yer opinion that if a realistic group wishes to be, well, realistic, then the creators should lay out some "dos" and "don'ts" when it comes to allowin' other species near their organization or overall territory IC-wise. However, doin' this also bodes some unfortunate outcomes. As stated in the rules, the public maps are for everyone in said map(s). The maps belong to nobody in particular and is expected to be shared among the users who inhabit em'. Of course, to me personally, this is different via IC-wise for it's role-play, as long as the ones who are on the territory are all in-character.
Although, I know not about ye', but if someone were to order me to move my character OOC-wise just because their character or group don't get along with my general species, I'd get a little offended (so I can somewhat understand why the hyena would get offended if one were to OOC-wise order him/her to re-locate elsewhere). More so if their character were to immediately assault me without warnin' when I'm not role-playin' but instead observin' from the sidelines as a bystander. There are users who enjoy watchin' a group's whereabouts without precisely gettin' involved, similar to an audience. Thus, said audience might not possess species the said group's characters get along with and it'd be downright unnecessary if they were to blatantly order or chase off users who aren't even participatin'. The outcome could mean trouble so I prefer if one would simply ignore the bystanders and continue with their role-play instead of riskin' startin' a quarrel. The same goes for the prey/predator portion of yer statement.
This is OOC-wise of course, as IC-wise, I support yer general idea.

Heck, this game is pretty unrealistic because of the chat box,

When it comes to the chat box, the users could always turn off the chatbox by pressin' the "C" key on their keyboard durin' role-play if they'd like to be that realistic and depend solely on body language and other gestures. A mere tidbit on that factor.
gone

Offline Muralles

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 12:43:01 pm »
I definitely agree with the roleplay value of territories, but I think, due to the assumption that PRIVATE maps are claimable as territory, why don't the groups, prides, packs, clans, ect. Create their own multiplayer maps? I'm part of a strange group of lost players that is currently in the progress of transferring from another game and I (as one of the community leaders) am taking on the challenge of building roughly 10 maps to span the size and appearance of our old home, that way we can retain the territories we claimed in the previous game. Obviously interaction in these private maps is limited to those who have downloaded it, but map owners could always advertise. Something along the lines of "realistic [insert race here] map, multiple groups desired, territory boundaries, ect".

I hope I'm correct in assuming claiming territory on private maps is ok?

Also another weird tidbit (off topic), I think the chat should revert to above head chat bubbles. Frankly, the chat box often has me scrambling to figure out who made what action and then match the name on the chat to the character in game, just my opinion though :)
Long Live Blackpaw

Offline Kaniki

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 04:39:55 pm »
I agree with you. If people want to be realistic, they should think about attacking, territory and character behavior.
I see a lot of roleplays where a wolf asks a deer "Hey, can I hunt you?"...If they want to be 'REAL'istic, a wolf doesn't just
walk up to a deer ''Hey bro, can I eat you?''

Territory:
To be honest, I don't like this. If a pack wants a territory, it shouldn't claim a map. They should make one
for themselves/other packs if they want to do land claiming. It is against the rules to just say
"This is MY home, so you CAN'T come here." FeralHeart public maps are for everyone. Not for private roleplaying...
That is why they are called 'PUBLIC'. Like, you know...Bonfire, Flourite, South Pole, Ficho...ect.
  :D

In-game name: Kaniki

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 07:25:44 pm »
Human-Headed animals solve everything

Nicely Done. I have to agree with a lot of this Kelsey.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 09:53:58 pm »
Human-Headed animals solve everything
Especially when the heads of young Brendon Urie and Ryan Ross are sticked on them. /shot