Author Topic: Rules question  (Read 2418 times)

Offline starkwolf

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
    • View Profile
Rules question
« on: November 04, 2016, 09:15:13 pm »
I noticed a number of disclaimers in the rules, which led me to wonder about something.

"Swearing inside of the public chats is NOT allowed..."
"...any actions representing any sexual behavior... AWAY from public maps."
(Apparently there are no rules against excessive gore? I thought this was a rule at some point)?

So let's suppose that a group was formed that specifically forewarned those that joined that a given private map was to be used where swearing and/or sexuality (and/or gore if there was supposed to be some rule about that) is to be anticipated. But, let's suppose that despite full disclosure of exactly what was to be expected in the chats/lobby of this private map, for whatever reason (vengeance for being reported themselves, judgementalism, who knows) a player joined specifically for the purpose of reporting players on their own private map. Let's suppose that there is no disrespect or abuse that is reportable under any circumstance, only the issues that are not allowed in public.

My question is, whether such a report could be viably appealed as it was not in a public chat or public map? Besides full disclosure, are there any other disclaimers that are recommended or required?

Finally, a question that I came across when writing this one: is there a rule against excessive gore (including chat descriptions)? Did there used to be? I was sure there was a rule about that, but I might be mixing it up with another forum, or maybe it is an old rule that got revoked.
Been away for a while. When I come back, I have an ambitious RP in mind. PM me if interested.

ArcticGalaxy

Re: Rules question
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 09:18:57 pm »
I'm rather sure that swearing and stuff is allowed in private maps to an extent since you know...not in the public maps. Also staff don't usually go out into private maps with other players. However, if someone was in a private map and was getting some sort of abuse they could be reported and get in trouble. That's how I was told anyway.

And I don't think there was a rule about gore? I've never heard of there being one in my years of playing FeralHeart.

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 09:38:43 pm »
Swearing is technically allowed within private maps so long as it is not being used as a form of harassment, extremely offensive behavior, and if those in the map are comfortable with it being used. If many users in the map were uncomfortable with excessive swearing and one user was to use it excessively in a harmful way or malicious way, this may be a reportable offense. Any reports that are accepted that involve swearing only usually have a bit more to the report than it simply being the fact that someone is swearing. If someone is intentionally making the other users in the map uncomfortable or using is in a way that is completely inappropriate in that they are trying to cause harm or drama, this is a reportable offense. If the person who created the map is okay with swearing in their map, though, this is not usually something that should be reported if it's not being abused or used in a harmful way.

My question is, whether such a report could be viably appealed as it was not in a public chat or public map? Besides full disclosure, are there any other disclaimers that are recommended or required?

A report for swearing that takes place in a private map vs. a public map work a bit differently, since a private map is not on public grounds. Nonetheless, we still expect everyone to behave kindly and respectfully to one another, regardless. If you are in a situation where you are in a private map and swearing occurs, this is usually okay if it's not being used in a hurtful way. If the user is swearing, intentionally trying to upset and provoke someone, and causing unnecessary drama, you can report for this.

As for concerning use of gory descriptions in the chat, there is nothing that says that you cannot have gore in the chat. Feral Heart is an animal-based game, after all, so it's likely that you'll run into a few scenarios involving bloody matter, wounded animal bodies, etc. Reporting gore is not something we usually consider a reportable offense, unless there is more to it. If there is a gore description involving something sexual or used in a very unusual and cruel manner that was aimed toward someone (such as if someone were to describe how they would hurt someone, out of character, in a very detailed and unsettling way), but it is very uncommon. It's more of a common sense situation; If gore is included to harm someone or used in an inappropriate way, it is reportable, but not usually for the gore, alone. I don't believe there ever used to be a rule for this, although I may be wrong.

I hope this helped to clear a few things up. c:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 09:43:13 pm by Warriorstrike »

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline starkwolf

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 11:13:30 pm »
Swearing is technically allowed within private maps so long as it is not being used as a form of harassment, extremely offensive behavior, and if those in the map are comfortable with it being used. If many users in the map were uncomfortable with excessive swearing and one user was to use it excessively in a harmful way or malicious way, this may be a reportable offense. Any reports that are accepted that involve swearing only usually have a bit more to the report than it simply being the fact that someone is swearing. If someone is intentionally making the other users in the map uncomfortable or using is in a way that is completely inappropriate in that they are trying to cause harm or drama, this is a reportable offense. If the person who created the map is okay with swearing in their map, though, this is not usually something that should be reported if it's not being abused or used in a harmful way.

A report for swearing that takes place in a private map vs. a public map work a bit differently, since a private map is not on public grounds. Nonetheless, we still expect everyone to behave kindly and respectfully to one another, regardless. If you are in a situation where you are in a private map and swearing occurs, this is usually okay if it's not being used in a hurtful way. If the user is swearing, intentionally trying to upset and provoke someone, and causing unnecessary drama, you can report for this.

As for concerning use of gory descriptions in the chat, there is nothing that says that you cannot have gore in the chat. Feral Heart is an animal-based game, after all, so it's likely that you'll run into a few scenarios involving bloody matter, wounded animal bodies, etc. Reporting gore is not something we usually consider a reportable offense, unless there is more to it. If there is a gore description involving something sexual or used in a very unusual and cruel manner that was aimed toward someone (such as if someone were to describe how they would hurt someone, out of character, in a very detailed and unsettling way), but it is very uncommon. It's more of a common sense situation; If gore is included to harm someone or used in an inappropriate way, it is reportable, but not usually for the gore, alone. I don't believe there ever used to be a rule for this, although I may be wrong.

I hope this helped to clear a few things up. c:

Thanks for the response! So basically, as long as players aren't being mean to each other, private maps are not subject to the same rules regarding swearing (as in characters swearing) and sexual stuff. On the otherhand, maybe a group could be formed that allowed players to use less-than-appropriate language to vent about things outside of FH that are frustrating them. Pretty much this?

And I have no idea where I got the idea regarding gore. Must have been another forum that I was also on about the time I started playing FH, and I got the rules between the two confused in my mind.
Been away for a while. When I come back, I have an ambitious RP in mind. PM me if interested.

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 11:29:05 pm »
Glad it was cleared up for ya!
One thing I'm going to add is to always look in a group or map's information on the forums or on their site (if they have any sort of information) and look for their rules. Most of the time, groups and some map creators will add in a statement saying "FeralHeart game rules apply" or something similar to that. Sometimes they'll add in their own list of rules. It's polite to do as they request on their maps regardless of whether or not they'll know you broke a rule on their map. I'm sure you already know of this ^^
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline starkwolf

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 12:19:36 am »
Glad it was cleared up for ya!
One thing I'm going to add is to always look in a group or map's information on the forums or on their site (if they have any sort of information) and look for their rules. Most of the time, groups and some map creators will add in a statement saying "FeralHeart game rules apply" or something similar to that. Sometimes they'll add in their own list of rules. It's polite to do as they request on their maps regardless of whether or not they'll know you broke a rule on their map. I'm sure you already know of this ^^

Sounds great, I will keep that in mind! I mean, of course it is good to follow a rule that you know of, made by the map creators or by FH staff. Nice to have a reminder to actively look up rules for private maps.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 12:21:43 am by starkwolf »

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 01:20:28 am »
Sounds great, I will keep that in mind! I mean, of course it is good to follow a rule that you know of, made by the map creators or by FH staff. Nice to have a reminder to actively look up rules for private maps.

It's good that you agree haha. Most people are pretty flexible as to the rules on their maps in terms of swearing etc, but it's good to check for the other rules. Usually I happen to glance at the rules whenever I download the map because it's usually off of the forums.
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 02:05:24 am »

Thanks for the response! So basically, as long as players aren't being mean to each other, private maps are not subject to the same rules regarding swearing (as in characters swearing) and sexual stuff. On the otherhand, maybe a group could be formed that allowed players to use less-than-appropriate language to vent about things outside of FH that are frustrating them. Pretty much this?

And I have no idea where I got the idea regarding gore. Must have been another forum that I was also on about the time I started playing FH, and I got the rules between the two confused in my mind.
Well, this does not necessarily mean that when users are in private maps, they don't have to follow the same rules. The rules still ask users to be respectful and to not to treat others in a way that is malicious or harassing, but yes-- there is a bit more leniency in terms of swearing and whatnot when out of the public maps/chat. If the users are okay with swearing and more descriptive content in terms of sexy stuff, they have a bit more freedom when in private maps.

But yes! You have defined that fairly well, but I wanted to go ahead and clear that up in case anyone thought that those in private maps don't have to follow the same rules-- they do, but to a lesser degree and a bit more leniency since they are out of the public eye.

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline starkwolf

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 05:18:10 am »

Well, this does not necessarily mean that when users are in private maps, they don't have to follow the same rules. The rules still ask users to be respectful and to not to treat others in a way that is malicious or harassing, but yes-- there is a bit more leniency in terms of swearing and whatnot when out of the public maps/chat. If the users are okay with swearing and more descriptive content in terms of sexy stuff, they have a bit more freedom when in private maps.

But yes! You have defined that fairly well, but I wanted to go ahead and clear that up in case anyone thought that those in private maps don't have to follow the same rules-- they do, but to a lesser degree and a bit more leniency since they are out of the public eye.

Makes sense to me.

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 05:19:54 am »
I'll go ahead and lock this up now since the thread author seems fine with the answers given. Feel free to pm myself or another staffer if you ever have any more questions about the rules in the future ^^
Farewell everyone<3