Author Topic: This bothers me...  (Read 5112 times)

Offline Kastilla

• my mind is a sieve for inspiration.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 71
  • [ ] make time go faster
    • View Profile
Re: This bothers me...
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 11:23:36 pm »
Thank you all who commented on this. <3 I appreciate that you see my point.
stinky dog coming through, don't mind me!

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 08:20:55 pm »
Aye Wolfie. Couldn't agree more with you. I mean, if you say something self negative as a joke (Example: "Oh XD. Didn't realize that! Heh, I'm kinda stupid at times.") then fine. I believe the word retard should NEVER be used, even as a joke, considering how offensive it is.[/color] People usually say it as a joke, and I honestly dislike when they do (though I choose not to tell them or get involved or start preaching, considering I'm turning 13 and not the wisest person). It IS a real condition, and you should never use it as a joke.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline Kastilla

• Community Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 08:29:32 pm »
Aye Wolfie. Couldn't agree more with you. I mean, if you say something self negative as a joke (Example: "Oh XD. Didn't realize that! Heh, I'm kinda stupid at times.") then fine. I believe the word retard should NEVER be used, even as a joke, considering how offensive it is.[/color] People usually say it as a joke, and I honestly dislike when they do (though I choose not to tell them or get involved or start preaching, considering I'm turning 13 and not the wisest person). It IS a real condition, and you should never use it as a joke.
Thank you, Lizard. c: I am glad you understand.

Offline gold feathers

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 87
  • Learn From Your Mistakes
    • View Profile
    • Shadows Of Mine
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 09:24:44 pm »
Whilst it is a sign of negativity about one-self, we cannot go around telling others to refrain from calling themselves that. Yes it may be unpleasant for others but to be quite honest, it is not offensive to oneself or "concerning" if they are not bothered by entitling themselves to a "retard".

Sometimes however, they simply mean it as a joke; even I, myself use it when in quite awkward situations which I may have sparked off. Yes, you can sometimes find yourself in a very uncomfortable situation as others may find it quite "rude" and inappropriate for obvious reasons; disabled people shouldn't be taken fun of.
In-game username: gold feathers
Role-play group: Panthers Of Crossroads

Offline StarrieNova

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 52
  • Cuddle Fluff
    • StarrieNova
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 07:28:44 am »
I understand why this is a concern to you. Honestly I find it as  a concern as well I don't like talk that negative about one's self or about another floof. Though I have to admit it is hard to do anything about it because it's what one would say about themselves.Now if they ever say something like that about another floof then maybe it could be talked about to not do something like that, but for right now I am not sure.

Siggy by: MittenstheNoble

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 10:20:50 pm »
I completely agree with you. I find it a bit disturbing when people use "retard" as a way to describe themselves/other people. Far too many people use the word out of context in general. I've seen people use it as a joke, but personally I don't find it funny.
I think that some people call themselves a "retard" in a form of self-expression towards themselves. They think they're stupid, dumb, etc, so they use the term, "retard" because that might be what they think it means. It's so sad to see people forget the real definitions of words, and now they're completely changing them. It bothers me because someone who's just messing around or thinking low of themselves refer to themselves as "retarded," when there are actually retarded people who physically and sometimes mentally cannot control their actions. I think it's offensive and disrespectful to people who actually have a retarded illness- they can't help it. They certainly deserve as much respect as anyone else, and I'll bet you won't see them joking about it, either.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 08:44:49 pm by warriorstrike »

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline Kastilla

• Community Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 09:06:27 pm »
Thank ye' Ms. Warriorstrike.

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 12:43:20 am »
I see this word used around on FH (and other games, too) a lot, and like many others, it saddens me to see. It really makes me wonder whether or not kids actually know the real definition of the word, but even still, I'm sure there are trolls out there who probably would teach kids to use the word and tell them it's alright to call people "retarded", and possibly tell them the false definition. But, those kids should be smarter than that and not use a word that they cannot properly define
Farewell everyone<3

Offline PrettyReckless

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 218
    • RecklessAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 03:26:07 pm »
I personally don't like using, or people using the word in a way to describe/insult themselves or others, as people can easily take offense to the word.
I tend to use "silly", unless I do something really stupid, in which case I just use "stupid". :I

We've all got to consider the people around us, their thoughts and feelings.
RETIRED.

Offline Crusoe

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 17
  • Top Kek.
    • View Profile
    • My Github Page
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 02:01:27 am »
It REALLY REALLY scares me when someone calls themselves retarded. "People sometimes really need an inspiration to let them see that no matter what they call themselves or what they think of themselves, they truly are an amazing individual and have talents that others may not have. Even if you are disabled you are capable of reaching amazing goals in your life. As long as you stay positive about you and your life you can be at the top." -Sergey- (Me of course)