Author Topic: What is it that some people have against roleplayers...  (Read 3879 times)

Offline Hakumi

• ✩ Just A Virtuous Smol ✩
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 130
  • A Smol & Helpful Floof ~
    • leanim3fr3akzoid
    • LeAnim3Fr3akzoid
    • View Profile
Re: What is it that some people have against roleplayers...
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 09:43:49 pm »
To be honest, I'm not surprised about the hate when it comes to roleplaying.
It can be brought into some negative light and all but at the same time, I wouldn't worry about it. Some people could just have bad experiences with it and don't think much of it, while others don't fully understand the benefits to it when it's actually taken seriously as mentioned above. It can help or even hinder people.
To be honest, if that's how they wish to think about it, then that's them. Roleplaying to a degree can be pretty annoying ( although it's extremely rare that I see it as that ), but that's just me. <3
All and all, sorry you had to experience something like that though. Leaving was a pretty good option in your case to avoid the negativity.

Keep on traveling across this road called 'Life.'

Discord: Haku - Haku#74O7

Offline JewelWildmoon

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • ~Inside of Every Demon is a Rainbow~
    • Flippyisadorable
    • Jewel Wildmoon
    • @JewelWildmoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 04:10:15 pm »
Yeah some people are very judgmental. If they've had a bad experience with roleplaying before and decided not to do it again, then anytime it is mentioned, they will think of it in bad light according to what they've experienced. It's like the Furry Fandom. Me as a new member of the furry fandom, I come across a LOT of people who like to insult me and call me hurtful things like Furfag and say that I'm just plain nasty or mentally insane, just because of being interested in furries. That's because they've only seen or heard about the 18+ side (you know.. the side where some people use Fur Suits as a form of sexual outfitting as some people "blind date" with it but it's really just going to a random place and having sex with other furries in the suits), but they've never thought about going into more details and actually getting to know the good side of the fandom. If you really look into it, the majority of the furry community is rather friendly and welcoming. Some of my best friends are furries and they're the nicest people I know who are always there for me. Like most things, everything has a good side and a dark side, and unfortunately people these days just decide to judge something for its bad side. Like that show called My Crazy Ex. I recently told my mom that I'm getting into the Furry fandom, and then she was watching the show (it's one of her favorite shows) and the episode was on a guy cheating with his girlfriend having sex with other furries in the fur suits (and believing that he's an animal) and after watching the episode, she started arguing with me saying that she will not allow me to become like that and saying that I'm sick and that I'm mentally insane if I'm a furry... Unfortunately for me, after learning about the bad side of the fandom, no matter what I do, she refuses to let me at least explain the good side of the community because her mind is now set on her new opinion of Furries (This is why I hate "My Crazy Ex".....). Thankfully my aunt is more understanding and she is happy that I'm in a community that makes me happy and is full of people with similar interests as me.

No matter what we do, people will always judge things by its bad side and the best we can do is ignore them and continue to do what we love. Cuz we're not about to give up who we are because of people and their nasty comments about us and our interests!  >:(
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 04:11:55 pm by JewelFazbear »
The Strength of the Pack is the Wolf, The Strength of the Wolf is the Pack

~~~~~~~~~PM me if ya wanna chat <3~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kastilla

• my mind is a sieve for inspiration.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 71
  • [ ] make time go faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 04:40:33 pm »

Might be preaching to the choir a little here, but not everyone is going to like when strangers are poking around in their roleplays. Fortunately and unfortunately for I, there have been people both happy and accepting toward me in roleplay and other who weren't as so. I mainly wander around and find any interesting characters, or any that I feel would be worth trying. I have never had anyone OOC judge me, or so I think. However, IC, users like to call Wolfie a "fleabag," "mutt," which is completely fine, but not when I have barely begun to introduce her. Wolfie could be a beautiful purebred that gets pampered three times a week! Granted she isn't, but you see what I am trying to say?

For people who have had bad experiences in prior times, I can understand if they don't care to roleplay. Still, that does not give them any right to bash someone for doing it. I have had bad experiences in rolelplay groups, and many that I have quit due to the immaturity among the members; I do not dwell on the past. Just because I encountered a few bad apples, doesn't mean my passion for writing and character building will diminish. It's hard for me to say to not care what people think, say, or do to you, but that's the best advice I am able to give. Many others above me have said the same thing, I am sure, but it's not wrong to have it hammered into your brain for the future.
stinky dog coming through, don't mind me!

Offline Raspbearies

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 10
  • fruity fresh
    • raspbearies
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 06:11:27 pm »
Hmmm. To be honest, I don't think I've ever experienced major backlash for my wanting to rp. Maybe a few times, but I don't really remember them in detail. Maybe, try to find communities that are all for roleplaying & seek other roleplayers instead? because that's what I've tried to do for the past few years & I've had some major success. Although, I do remember mentioning to my friends outside of my RP communities that I enjoyed it, & they did make fun of me a little. but it wasn't in a horribly mean way, so it's alright. They just... don't understand, I guess?

Unfortunately, I think that a lot of people have this view on the internet now. Even people on my RP SERVER in WoW will complain about roleplayers like ???? That's literally what this server is for, haha. You're never going to please everybody, unfortunately, & if those other people are being THAT rude to you when they obviously know you like it, they are not true friends & you should look for nicer people anyways. but yes, sometimes admitting that you like roleplay will result in some backlash. It's not fair & it's not nice, but this is the internet. :( Being nice is not a requirement unfortunately.

But that doesn't mean you should stop seeking for other, new people & communities to rp with! Just... not everyone is going to be nice about it sometimes. but some people will! It's kind of a 50/50 chance.

In-game username: Raspbearies
I'm typically found over on my other account now! - Kowri

raspbearies.deviantart.com

Offline ShadowMT13

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • I gave up on this FH since I was let down...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 07:44:09 pm »
Yeah some people are very judgmental. If they've had a bad experience with roleplaying before and decided not to do it again, then anytime it is mentioned, they will think of it in bad light according to what they've experienced. It's like the Furry Fandom. Me as a new member of the furry fandom, I come across a LOT of people who like to insult me and call me hurtful things like Furfag and say that I'm just plain nasty or mentally insane, just because of being interested in furries. That's because they've only seen or heard about the 18+ side (you know.. the side where some people use Fur Suits as a form of sexual outfitting as some people "blind date" with it but it's really just going to a random place and having sex with other furries in the suits), but they've never thought about going into more details and actually getting to know the good side of the fandom. If you really look into it, the majority of the furry community is rather friendly and welcoming. Some of my best friends are furries and they're the nicest people I know who are always there for me. Like most things, everything has a good side and a dark side, and unfortunately people these days just decide to judge something for its bad side. Like that show called My Crazy Ex. I recently told my mom that I'm getting into the Furry fandom, and then she was watching the show (it's one of her favorite shows) and the episode was on a guy cheating with his girlfriend having sex with other furries in the fur suits (and believing that he's an animal) and after watching the episode, she started arguing with me saying that she will not allow me to become like that and saying that I'm sick and that I'm mentally insane if I'm a furry... Unfortunately for me, after learning about the bad side of the fandom, no matter what I do, she refuses to let me at least explain the good side of the community because her mind is now set on her new opinion of Furries (This is why I hate "My Crazy Ex".....). Thankfully my aunt is more understanding and she is happy that I'm in a community that makes me happy and is full of people with similar interests as me.

No matter what we do, people will always judge things by its bad side and the best we can do is ignore them and continue to do what we love. Cuz we're not about to give up who we are because of people and their nasty comments about us and our interests!  >:(

I am part of the furry fandom as well and not the more gross side of it, I know all to well how it can be with people. I am sorry you had to deal with that, one time I almost beat the crap out of someone for harassing my friend who was a furry and being mean to them just because they where part of the fandom.

Offline ShadowMT13

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • I gave up on this FH since I was let down...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 07:46:53 pm »

Might be preaching to the choir a little here, but not everyone is going to like when strangers are poking around in their roleplays. Fortunately and unfortunately for I, there have been people both happy and accepting toward me in roleplay and other who weren't as so. I mainly wander around and find any interesting characters, or any that I feel would be worth trying. I have never had anyone OOC judge me, or so I think. However, IC, users like to call Wolfie a "fleabag," "mutt," which is completely fine, but not when I have barely begun to introduce her. Wolfie could be a beautiful purebred that gets pampered three times a week! Granted she isn't, but you see what I am trying to say?

For people who have had bad experiences in prior times, I can understand if they don't care to roleplay. Still, that does not give them any right to bash someone for doing it. I have had bad experiences in rolelplay groups, and many that I have quit due to the immaturity among the members; I do not dwell on the past. Just because I encountered a few bad apples, doesn't mean my passion for writing and character building will diminish. It's hard for me to say to not care what people think, say, or do to you, but that's the best advice I am able to give. Many others above me have said the same thing, I am sure, but it's not wrong to have it hammered into your brain for the future.

This is just a discussion, no need to start lectures on how "Not everyone likes the same thing" most of us probably know this, this is not about people who just don't like it, it is about people who straight up harass and bully others for their interest, VARY different subject.

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 01:09:16 am »

Please keep in mind that while it's okay to discuss your personal experiences on a thread like this one, content should be kept age-appropriate, and references to sexual material shouldn't be mentioned here on the forum. (Please look here for forum rules.)

This is just a discussion, no need to start lectures on how "Not everyone likes the same thing" most of us probably know this, this is not about people who just don't like it, it is about people who straight up harass and bully others for their interest, VARY different subject.

I think Wolvie was trying to add her two cents on the subject-- there are lots of different ways you can approach the topic. Taking some parts and highlighting others to enlighten some aspect of the subject can help bring about different ways of looking at an incident. c:

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline Melon

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 35
  • God in their worst form.
    • jennfelde
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 03:34:24 am »
Some people just dislike things due to experiences or what they have heard. Roleplaying is an great way to develop worlds, lore and writing skills and help others and inspire them to create their own.

However, it may due to be of things they saw, such as gore and more explicit themes being roleplayed and them thinking all roleplays were like that. Just put in my two cents.

Attempting to get more active. Enjoy the day!

Cheers!

Offline Senrova

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 62
  • wootwoot
    • SwiftySwoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 07:40:49 pm »
Are you kidding? I fricking love roleplay! If people gave me hell for it I honestly wouldn't care. It inspires so many of my stories I've come up with and it makes such a huge difference to how I think about things. Life lessons with Senrova - Don't let others opinions bring you down from doing what you love ;D 👍

I know that sounded lame but there's my thoughts for you ;)

Signature by LuCiiPeR via dA ;D

Please check out my deviantArt: http://swiftyswoo.deviantart.com/

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 10:32:26 pm »
true to yourself or not, you don't have to wear your heart on your sleeve.

some people don't share the same interests and are more vocal about it than others.

either ignore it or avoid it if it's such an issue.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972