Author Topic: What is it that some people have against roleplayers...  (Read 3877 times)

Offline ShadowMT13

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • I gave up on this FH since I was let down...
    • View Profile
What is it that some people have against roleplayers...
« on: December 11, 2017, 05:41:30 pm »
I just joined a community somewhere and it seemed all fine until I joined there chat and mentioned roleplay... Then I felt like everyone was attacking me for enjoying roleplay, I did not want to start with anyone so I just left, but it is hurtful how much hate I got for just asking if there is a roleplay channel in the group. Like I have seen people hate on others for being emo, being gay, and so on, but just liking roleplay? I guess I forgot some people misunderstand roleplayers and hate on them for no reason, since I roleplay with people online so much, these people did not really seem to understand it... One person would not shut up about how cringy it was, another person said they hated it because they use to do it with their ex or someone they were attracted to, another acted like it was for kids... I guess I forgot how rude and ignorant people can be about certain things, it was pretty clear to me that people did not seem to understand it, so that upsets me that the reason they hate it is because they don't understand it. You can't hate someone or something just because you think it is only -Removed by Moderator- or some crap like that... I need some help here, I am upset and I just was reminded one of the reasons I hate people...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:42:43 pm by Kynvuu »

Offline teanovai

• Dedicated Supporter
  • . care for a spot of tea?
    • teanovai
    • View Profile
Re: What is it that some people have against roleplayers...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 05:54:03 pm »
unfortunately, there are some people out there who do compare roleplaying to playing pretend as a child, however they seem to not realise that roleplaying is a fantastic way to develop and practice writing skills. you'd have to be one of the fairly few creative types in order to come up with a paragraph or so on the spot like that. not to mention, it's super fun once you get into it! i've definitely noticed that i can write stories a lot faster and easier ever since i got into roleplaying, so english class is a breeze for me. i'd advise not to take much notice of some of those people, and maybe they better think twice about their words, because there is a lot of educational potential in roleplaying! roleplaying is anything but cringy.

signature by me | icon by raspbearies
my preset!

Offline Naruto

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 06:00:58 pm »
Definitely agree with Tea! ^
And Yeah, I got some backlash from people who didn't know what RP was, but most of the people who talk trash about anything creative, are the same people who say, "reading is garbage". Literally, RPing has sharpened my writing skills so much, I forget that it's actually really hard to write things on the spot...
But then I began to write essays and I remember what that felt like... xD It's difficult and a lot of people think writing a paragraph is difficult too! It comes with practice, for sure! And the people putting you down were probably a lot less mature. You said you were 19, right? So you're mature enough to see outside the box, rather than underdeveloped kids. Don't beat yourself up about it, be glad that you're becoming a great writer! That's a skill any job would love!

In Game Username: Naruto
Used to be: ~Naruto_Sasuke~

Offline SophyTheLioness

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
  • FUZZY LLAMA COOL LLAMA SEXY LLAMA
    • ValentinaTheWolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 06:09:42 pm »
Yeah, some people think roleplay only consists of the nasty stuff and overlook how much of a great practice for writing and general grammar exercise it is. I really wouldn't speak english as fluenty if it weren't for roleplay. It's just like the furry community- If you say furry, they say nasty, only because they saw the minority of the community (the +18 one) which sadly is the one that shows the most. It's really sad because people are very quick to judge whitout setting afoot into the other person's perspectives, i know this may sound cliché but i wanna say that its like the moon- It will always have a dark side and a shining side, nothing can be entirely good, just less or more bad.
Try to specify what kind of roleplay you're talking about? Because from what they said i am most definitely sure they misunderstood what roleplay you're talking about. Not the nasty kind, i betcha.
If they were talking about roleplays-roleplays, just explain to them shortly that roleplaying with someone is like making a story with them- You get to write a deep character and both players also enhance their skills (character development, writing speed, grammar, formal writing, etc...) And that if done right it can be considered healthy because it could help you give you new skills and abroad new paths in your workplace, industry or just your field of work (Say, in the future, you have to write a convincing letter to a business to propose something. In such case, then, you'd be capable of writing something convincing with barely any grammar mistakes (hopefully), and all of it because you strenghtened your abilities through something you enjoy doing.) This is especially a good practice for when trying to learn a foreign language, because through the constant repetition and (if your partner speaks the language you're attempting to learn, correction too) execution of words that are foreign to oneself, you start getting used to speaking them and, although your speaking and pronounciation could be a little risky, you can be safe that if you were on the countries that speak that language, you could handle yourself decently, even if its just through written means.

That was just my cent on the pot, and i hope you liked my reply!
xoxo
- Sophy
I'M YOUR OBSESSIVE SABLE MOMMA.

Signature art by bab number 1 Kiaz <3
Avatar art by bab number 2 Cocoadoq <3

(Psst, check out my free species! If you like canines... Check out this thread ;) http://www.feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=57355.0

Erranti

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 06:23:03 pm »
It seems your facing alot. Don't feel so hang up over it.

What you really need to do is look for roleplays around your age. Clearly, you're was dealing with little children who like to judge, if i'm understand correctly. I'm sure you can find some roleplays around your age or to your liking. Its going to be hard but not impossible. Overall you're going to see judgemental people. Best i can say is ignore and move on to another community.

Just practice your writing skills and just be the best you can be. Sorry if I misunderstood your first post.

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 07:48:29 pm »
Protip, don't mention it in front of strangers.  If you go back to that community, just pretend you didn't say it & never mention it again.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 07:54:57 pm »
A lot of outsiders think roleplay has something to do with sex (see: OwO what's this???) or something that nerds with a lot of time on their hands do. They don't think that roleplay takes a lot of thought and motivation and it's technically another form of storytelling. It's improvisation and a lot of theater kids do it, except it's on the internet.

Offline ShadowMT13

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 08:02:28 pm »

What you really need to do is look for roleplays around your age. Clearly, you're was dealing with little children who like to judge, if i'm understand correctly. I'm sure you can find some roleplays around your age or to your liking. Its going to be hard but not impossible. Overall you're going to see judgemental people. Best i can say is ignore and move on to another community.

Just practice your writing skills and just be the best you can be. Sorry if I misunderstood your first post.

Well my type of roleplay that I enjoy consist of animal rp like wolves, fandom rp like sonic or pokemon, and anime rp like fairy tail and vampire knight, to give a few examples. It is not easy to find people my age who like the stuff I do, but they are out there I am friends with a few 17 to 18 years olds and even some 20 some year olds. I don't like thinking of it age wise because I have met a lot of people, not all under 18 people are bad, some are pretty sensible and those are the ones I call friends.

Offline ShadowMT13

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 08:05:43 pm »
Protip, don't mention it in front of strangers.  If you go back to that community, just pretend you didn't say it & never mention it again.

Well in my opinion that would be lying about who I am. I refuse to not be true to myself and my interests I take pride in my roleplay and I am glad I can enjoy it. So I will not be pretending that, though I see what you mean and I can kind of see your point. But that is just not who I am so I will not lie and pretend I know nothing of it.

Erranti

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 08:29:38 pm »

Well my type of roleplay that I enjoy consist of animal rp like wolves, fandom rp like sonic or pokemon, and anime rp like fairy tail and vampire knight, to give a few examples. It is not easy to find people my age who like the stuff I do, but they are out there I am friends with a few 17 to 18 years olds and even some 20 some year olds. I don't like thinking of it age wise because I have met a lot of people, not all under 18 people are bad, some are pretty sensible and those are the ones I call friends.

You have a point there. +Nuzzle