Author Topic: How to run FeralHeart on all CPU cores at the same time?  (Read 652 times)

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
How to run FeralHeart on all CPU cores at the same time?
« on: September 03, 2018, 02:26:56 pm »
I've been toying with the LED settings, and configured the LEDs to light up green, yellow or red according to how much load the CPU is experiencing(Asus Aura Sync can do that as well as monitoring temperature, but I think it only works with Asus motherboards). Ark(Survival Evolved), as well as Chrome, have a CPU load that borders 50%, while FeralHeart appears to have over 90% CPU load, that can't be right as my computer can run two FeralHearts with no problem, but I'm a little worried.
I assume that the CPU load monitor is only monitoring one core, as large games such as Ark probably split their load between CPU cores.
Is there a way to split FeralHeart between all 8 cores(Or at least more than 1 core) of my CPU so it doesn't overload one core? Is it possible for one core to get damaged by continuous 90+% usage?

My PC runs FeralHeart with only the regular amount of crashes(Keep to many meshes/textures loaded at the same time, I've theorised), even multiple tabs of FeralHeart run very well alongside the RAM-eating Google Chrome browser, this isn't important and I'm not sure if I even need to config the amount of CPU cores FeralHeart is split between.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 02:34:43 pm by FlyingGrass »

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Lucius

Re: How to run FeralHeart on all CPU cores at the same time?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 04:31:00 pm »
As far as I'm aware, earlier versions of OGRE don't have as much multi-core support as OGRE 2.x, and I assume that FeralHeart is among the earlier OGRE users.

Second, OGRE is usually locked onto a single core and multithreading OGRE-related tasks is not safe. See this thread for more information.

If someone wanted to activate multi-core usage despite that, then they'd have to edit the OgreConfig.h header file and change the value of the OGRE_THREAD_SUPPORT from 0 to 1.

Lastly, while OGRE itself cannot be multithreaded, an application can. Sound engines, AI scripts, physics, and other non-OGRE related tasks can be run in multiple threads.

OGRE itself latches onto a single core, so it's possible that when running multiple instances of OGRE, each one of them would occupy a separate core and that's why you're able to run multiple FH windows... I'm not sure.

Edit: As far as maximum CPU usage being damaging, there's no need to worry, load percentage has no effect on processor longevity by itself. As long as your computer has adequate cooling that prevents the temperature from reaching dangerous levels, then you should be able to run CPU at 100% for hours to days.

CPU internal temperatures rise quickly, so if they aren't dangerous after about 20-30 minutes of being at 100% usage, then they probably won't reach damaging levels.

If you do not have suitable cooling measures for the CPU, then it will overheat and may sustain damage, or the CPU will send a signal to shut down the computer if it gets to a certain temperature.

Double Edit: This thread looks promising: Making your FH game run more stable/even faster!

Maybe you can try it out and see if that helps you.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 05:02:02 pm by Lucius »

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
Re: How to run FeralHeart on all CPU cores at the same time?
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 07:12:46 pm »
I'll keep that in mind, and multitask FeralHeart with caution. :)
The watercooling system will protect the CPU, though when I play any game the outside of my PC gets so warm that it hurts a little to touch.
Switching FeralHeart to another core has made it load much faster. ;D

Thank you so much, Lucius! This topic has now been answered and may now be locked.

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.