Author Topic: Map help?  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Skat

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 31
  • Sorry guys I left. Can't delete profile sadly.
    • View Profile
Map help?
« on: August 17, 2016, 01:54:03 pm »
Note that I typed thay from my phone so if you see a typo pl0x ignore it, thank you c:
Hello
Skat here
I am newbie in maps, in fact this the first map I am making and I'll be needing help.
So I got the responsibility to work on a 6 clanned map since our original creator had dropped off for their reasons and the people I know do not have time due to school and I cannot afford it to pay one. So if you'd love to help me with it, I'd appreciate it alot. What I need help withis below

I need a width and height guide. Like I want help to find the right width and height for A map with the five original clans(RiverClan, ShadowClan, ThunderClan, WindClan and SkyClan) and a tribe. I will add a barn and two houses at some parts to make it not so plaim but have more than just the camps. But you know not too small to not have space but not too large to be laggy to people.And as a newbie I am kinda clueless of a good but reasonable number for a big map >.< And I'd appreciate if you'd have to suggest me a current width and height number ^^

Secondly I'd like to ask if you can help me to find a good combination of ground colorings. For example the Red,Green and Blue parts. What I want to combine is a forest green forbThunderClan and SkyClan(andtribemaybe) a hydrated terrain for RiverClan and ShadowClan and Sandy for WindClan and some sandy lines around the terrain but I want to look realistic and not as if I picked randomly because my hand spazzed ;u; IdonotwanttoberudesortyIfIAm
If you have any Combination to give me, I'd be more than happy to get help from you
Any helpful tips would be lovely.

Also if someone can leave the link of how to connect a map inside another map and have access through a portal(for ecample I want to make a Two-leg place, Darkforest and StarClan and I want to be able to have access to get in them through the original map) and the Sky maker or how to change the water color because I lost the links I had and cannot find them (I also have an eye infectiob so I sometime pass things without meaning it but because I do not see it ;u; sorry ;3;)

Thank you so much ^^
| Skat  | Weirdo | Foodsexual | Nice to meet you :D|

Me and my children PFF XD

Offline Enoki

• Herba Chronographus
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
  • Who lives in a portabella under a tree?
    • FantasyFungus
    • EnokiTheDryphon
    • Enoki_G
    • View Profile
    • The Realms of Yugure
Re: Map help?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 05:01:40 pm »
Ah, welcome to the majestic realm of mapmaking! I'm sure ye'll enjoy y'erself.

As f'er sizes, I usually do - on average - 30,000 width by 5,000 height. Now this will always be subject to change, depending on the topography of the map. If ye were to 'ave mountains in the map, then ye may want to raise the number, if 'tis just hills ye may want to lower the number. All depends on context.

As f'er ground textures, ye can download custom textures and use them rather than the default ones given to ye. This may help ye in making it more realistic. Ye can also just download an image off of Google and crop it to the correct texture size (512x512 I believe it to be) and use that instead- the possibilities are endless.

There is also a method in using more than three ground textures per map! That may get tricky, however, so here is a video on how to do that. Clicky click!

And finally, gates! Gates are very similar to portals, except ye got to do both ends of the link in order to make it a two-way trip. How I normally plot out destinations f'er gates is I use a small object to plot out the coordinates (x, y, z, and yaw are always in this order f'er gates!) Once I place the object, I write down the coordinates on paper or the notepad app that comes installed on m'computer. To get the yaw, aim y'er camera in the direction ye want y'er floof to face upon entering the map from the gate. The yaw will be on the bottom right hand corner. I then head into the other map that I wish to link the first to; be sure to leave the object there as a place marker so ye know where to put the gate when ye get back (don't f'erget to save y'er progress). I install the gate in the second map with the coordinates I just received from the first. When y'er entering the map name, be sure y'er not using the display name or 'twon't work. With another object, I place it a few Feral-Heart feet in front of it and write down the coordinates. Ye can delete this object, since ye won't need it anymore. Head back to y'er first map and create a gate and place it a few spaces behind the object. Enter the coordinates from the other map and y'er done!

I hope ye understood all of this! If y'er still 'aving any troubles with the map making, be sure to let us techies know, or feel free to shoot me a PM personally! I'd be happy to assist in any way I can. Best of luck to y'er map making, deary.

Tmw you planned a ten minute nap but instead took a whole year.
☙Icon by dA JRProducts; Sig by PocketMutt❧

Offline Bloo.

• Space-Child ✌
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 191
  • nyoom
    • Bloopaloozer
    • Bloopalooza FH
    • aLittleProzium
    • Bloopalooza
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 08:42:21 pm »
Enokii hit it on the head ^^ I just want to throw in some useful tips and what-not that could really help to improve your map making experience c:

Textures

So, as Eno said, you can go on Google and find your very own textures to get exactly what you want! However, if you want the texture to look smooth and pretty in your map rather than blocky and square, just type in "[texture name here] seamless". Seamless simply means that if the texture is being repeated over and over (as it is in map making), each cubic length will blend into the next and look natural!

When you're doing your Mask for your heightmap, using a nice smudge or blur tool to softly blend the borders between colors gives it a similar blending transition in your actual map. For example, if you're going from a very rocky or grassy terrain into a sandy terrain, you may want to blend it a bit so it doesn't just stop at grass and suddenly start with sand. Blend is your friend!!

Map Linking/Gates

Enokii explained very well how to put portals to other maps within your main map! But in case you get lost or prefer a visual aid, here's a nice, detailed video tutorial to help you out!

https://youtu.be/IB7PjgGt1E4

Water Color/Texture

So if you want different colored water for different ares, lava or mud for example, it's rather simple.

Step 1

First you'll have to download a water texture made by someone else, or make one yourself!

Here are some users with water textures to download:
http://www.feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=14355.0
http://www.feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=14162.0

To make a water texture yourself, simply find any picture on Google and resize it to be 512x512. Then rename it something you'd remember or can refer back to.

You'll need to make a material file for it too! Open a blank notepad document and copy/paste this code into it.
Code: [Select]
material [TEXTURE NAME HERE]Mat
{
technique
{
pass
{
lighting off
cull_hardware none
cull_software none
scene_blend alpha_blend
depth_write off

texture_unit
{
texture [TEXTURE NAME HERE].png
scale 0.4 0.4
scroll_anim -0.05 -0.05
}
texture_unit
{
texture [TEXTURE NAME HERE].png
scale 0.5 0.5
scroll_anim -0.08 0.1
}
}
}
}

Once you've done that, make sure you replace the [TEXTURE NAME HERE] with your texture name. Make sure there aren't any spaces in the name, if there are, put an _ where the space would be. YOUR TEXTURE MUST BE SAVED AS .PNG

Save the notepad file as [TEXTURE NAME HERE]

Step 2

Once you have your water texture(s), you're going to want to place it in your FeralHeart>media>textures
The notepad document you downloaded or just made will be placed in FeralHeart>media>materials

Step 3

Now that your files are all in the correct places, you can open up your map maker. Your water is going to be it's own object so it won't change the default water unless you put its name into the "Ocean Material" space under the World tab.

Now, adding your water to your map! You're going to click on the Object tab and look towards the bottom. There you'll see a space titled "Water Material". You'll type in what you named your notepad file + Mat(exactly the same way or your water will show up white) and click "New Water". For example, if your notepad was called Lava, in the mapmaker you'd type in LavaMat.

If you click off of your water, no worries! In order to click and control the location of your water, just go to the Controls tab and in the upper right, click "Water".

I hope this helped you out a bit, and if you have any questions at all feel free to PM me ^-^

You are amazing <3

Offline Skat

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 31
  • Sorry guys I left. Can't delete profile sadly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 11:47:24 pm »

I hope ye understood all of this! If y'er still 'aving any troubles with the map making, be sure to let us techies know, or feel free to shoot me a PM personally! I'd be happy to assist in any way I can. Best of luck to y'er map making, deary.
Enokii hit it on the head ^^ I just want to throw in some useful tips and what-not that could really help to improve your map making experience c:
I hope this helped you out a bit, and if you have any questions at all feel free to PM me ^-^
I cut the quotes a little bit so you can see ^^
Thank you so much both of you, this helped enough ^^ You saved me, literately o-o thanks XD I owe you something ^^
| Skat  | Weirdo | Foodsexual | Nice to meet you :D|

Me and my children PFF XD

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 12:31:36 am »
I'll be locking this now since the questions seem to be answered :3
Farewell everyone<3