Author Topic: Rant/Discussion theme - Do not buy overpriced Adopts on DeviantArt!  (Read 2824 times)

Offline Skat

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 31
  • Sorry guys I left. Can't delete profile sadly.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 01:52:02 am by Skat »
| Skat  | Weirdo | Foodsexual | Nice to meet you :D|

Me and my children PFF XD

Offline Bloo.

• Space-Child ✌
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 191
  • nyoom
    • Bloopaloozer
    • Bloopalooza FH
    • aLittleProzium
    • Bloopalooza
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Re: Rant/Discussion theme - Do not buy overpriced Adopts on DeviantArt!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 12:55:27 am »
Personally, I feel $100 is incredibly overpriced for a single adopt.

While I understand people spend a LOT of time and put a lot of thought into their adopts, if it's money they're looking for then extreme prices may not be the way to go. Most people look for adopts in order to create a character out of them, though there are some very famous artists on dA who are expecting that people will pay a lot in order to use the adopts as book or movie characters, I doubt they were one of them.

I'm sorry that "sallybean" and yourself went through a situation like this, but the best idea would be to simply walk away from the high prices and find cheaper adopts. They may not be the exact species your friend favors, but they're certainly more in an affordable price range.

You are amazing <3

Offline Skat

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 01:23:06 am »
Personally, I feel $100 is incredibly overpriced for a single adopt.

While I understand people spend a LOT of time and put a lot of thought into their adopts, if it's money they're looking for then extreme prices may not be the way to go. Most people look for adopts in order to create a character out of them, though there are some very famous artists on dA who are expecting that people will pay a lot in order to use the adopts as book or movie characters, I doubt they were one of them.

I'm sorry that "sallybean" and yourself went through a situation like this, but the best idea would be to simply walk away from the high prices and find cheaper adopts. They may not be the exact species your friend favors, but they're certainly more in an affordable price range.
Exactly my point.

The problem is that the person who sells the adopts want a plushie that costs 535$ and try to get money out of it but ScumsAlot is around 27 years old. She could easily work on it and not try to give out overpriced adopts. If you think that most of the people who use deviantart and watch that current person are around 15-18 years old, the 100$ will probably take around a month or maybe 3 months to take, if my knowledge is right. So of course parents wouldn't let them use this much of money especially when most adopts can be done with points.

I know it did, I was so triggered when this happened because they tried to use joy and fun as an excuse and when I asked them, since they are generous enough to buy a dog they could have given one adopt to one person for free as a gift

she could add a 'One spieces for free!' and do like a giveaway for christmas. Then my friend may could have been lucky, it is not that hard.

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 01:35:52 am »
Oh man, I read through this and my jaw actually dropped when you had said they had sold an adopt for $535. Holy cheese that the price of 15 quality adopts, not one...jeez. Even $100 to me seems expensive unless the art is really super duper amazing and you get a lot of content with the adopt.

It doesn't make sense to me that ScumsALot's excuse was that she charges so much money because it's "for fun" ? ...

That isn't even remotely a logical and relevant excuse. I sure hope that your friend is doing better though (I wasn't sure if Sally had bought the adopt or not)

And no you're not an idiot for giving things away. I've put tons of hours into my presets, only to give them out for free and it makes me extremely happy to see people excited over my work. It helps me learn, it helps me grow and it makes me feel happy seeing the joy they express. I completely agree with you on that c:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 01:37:23 am by MorgraWolf »
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 01:49:18 am »
While I do have to agree with the price of the adopt being extreme, another thing to take into consideration is that that's what artists do. It's their job/occupation/career to sell their artwork, and there's nothing wrong with wanting sell your work to people and there's also nothing wrong with people who wish to support an artist or buy their work because they like it.

However, I think that the artist in this case is setting prices way too high for a simple adoptable. If the artist wishes to sell his/her work, it should be appropriately priced. My guess is that the artist you were dealing with here was probably new to selling their work, and wasn't aware that his/her prices were a little too high. The only way to know this is through feedback and experience. So in the future, it is always best to notify an artist kindly about unusually high prices.

I'm really sorry that this mishap occurred to you and your friend. As an artist myself and one who has bought art from others before, I can feel empathy for each side of the story here. My advice to your in your friend would be to kindly say that you cannot afford the adopt and find an alternative adopt that your friend might also be happy with. If your friend really wanted a unique species, you could always make your own together as well! Hope this gets sorted out for you<3
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.

Offline Skat

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 01:51:02 am »
Oh man, I read through this and my jaw actually dropped when you had said they had sold an adopt for $535. Holy cheese that the price of 15 quality adopts, not one...jeez. Even $100 to me seems expensive unless the art is really super duper amazing and you get a lot of content with the adopt.

It doesn't make sense to me that ScumsALot's excuse was that she charges so much money because it's "for fun" ? ...

That isn't even remotely a logical and relevant excuse. I sure hope that your friend is doing better though (I wasn't sure if Sally had bought the adopt or not)

And no you're not an idiot for giving things away. I've put tons of hours into my presets, only to give them out for free and it makes me extremely happy to see people excited over my work. It helps me learn, it helps me grow and it makes me feel happy seeing the joy they express. I completely agree with you on that c:

That was a typo and an accident, with the 535$ the 535$ is acctually for the plushie Scumsalot wants. I apologise for that. Yeah they sell 100$ and 120$ for an adopt they bought and didn't use anymore so they sell it. but 100$ is overpriced.

They need a plushie and they are a 27 year old pile of skin, they can go and work for it instead of expecting 15-18 year old people give them money for adopts.

^^ Thank you

Offline Skat

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 02:01:46 am »
While I do have to agree with the price of the adopt being extreme, another thing to take into consideration is that that's what artists do. It's their job/occupation/career to sell their artwork, and there's nothing wrong with wanting sell your work to people and there's also nothing wrong with people who wish to support an artist or buy their work because they like it.

However, I think that the artist in this case is setting prices way too high for a simple adoptable. If the artist wishes to sell his/her work, it should be appropriately priced. My guess is that the artist you were dealing with here was probably new to selling their work, and wasn't aware that his/her prices were a little too high. The only way to know this is through feedback and experience. So in the future, it is always best to notify an artist kindly about unusually high prices.

I'm really sorry that this mishap occurred to you and your friend. As an artist myself and one who has bought art from others before, I can feel empathy for each side of the story here. My advice to your in your friend would be to kindly say that you cannot afford the adopt and find an alternative adopt that your friend might also be happy with. If your friend really wanted a unique species, you could always make your own together as well! Hope this gets sorted out for you<3

The problem is, the price is around 100-120$ and they have admited it is not theirs. It sucks to see my friend asking for help because Sally is too young to get a job and her parents won't let her give away that much of a big amount. Yeah I will admit I said it was wrong in the wrong because because I used caps when I told her to 'NEVER buy something like this when it's this expenssive' and yeah I can understand how an artist can make money out of this. But Not this much. Atleast 40$ not 100$
20$
10$ 15$ or even to 17$
We all know NorthernRed right? An example of him, he does commissions for 17$ and it gets 10 times cheaper and better.
100$ is too high for an adopt they bought and are reselling just to get a plushie. People out there struggle atleast try to make money on your own while selling your art on an appropriate price.