Author Topic: Map Maker terrain crashes  (Read 1543 times)

Offline NaiaRulez

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Sorry, did I roll my eyes out loud?
    • naiafh
    • naiafh
    • View Profile
Map Maker terrain crashes
« on: July 14, 2016, 01:25:24 pm »
Hey! Umm, I noticed this bug days ago; I can't make maps either, when I open the map maker and I attempt to change the terrain name, it crashes. It seems it only works the terrain with "defaultTerrain.png", because when I change the terrain for a one I made for example "pridelandsTerrain.png" the game crashes. I tried to reinstall the game, install the game on others computers I have to see if it's a computer render problem but anything works.
Also, to see whats the problem, I replaced "defaultTerrain.png" for a terrain I've made and it doesn't work anyway.
Maybe it's the location where I keep my custom terrains, I keep them in the "terrains" folder (it seems to be logical, but anyways if I'm wrong maybe it's that -_-)
If someone can help me I'll appreciate so much <//3

Find me in-game as NaiaRulez

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
Re: Map Maker terrain crashes
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 01:36:57 pm »
I think the size of your terrain map might be a bit off. I believe it should be 513x513.

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline FlewToTheCity

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
  • Mother Wolf
    • FlewToTheCity2
    • comandoness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 01:41:10 pm »
Hello!
I see your having issues with the terrain (Heightmap).
Make sure you are using a 513x513px image.
What I would do is open up the defaultTerrain.png image, Open up your terrain image in photoshop (Lets call it Derp.png)
Now what I would do is Cut and Paste your terrain ontop of the defaultTerrain.png image but rename it and save it just in the terrains folder, Make sure you flatten the image ant that there is no Alpha layer (Transparent Layer) inside the image itself.
The Map maker is Caps Sensitive so watch out.

Also a little heads up, Go read the post I have put up here in the Game Help. If you plan to export your map I would wait till my 'issue' has a solution seeing I don't want you loosing all your files like I have many times. I hope this helps c:

Avatar by Atrociious | Signature by Scottishy

Offline NaiaRulez

• naiafh
    • naiafh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 01:46:09 pm »
The size I use is 513x513 px always, so size problem shouldn't be. What I do to make a heightmap is to copy the default file, put another name and then paint on it... Maybe the layers are the problem... I'll check that. Thank you two! :D

Offline Bloo.

• Space-Child ✌
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 191
  • nyoom
    • Bloopaloozer
    • Bloopalooza FH
    • aLittleProzium
    • Bloopalooza
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 02:04:19 pm »
Aye, there are several issues that could be affecting it ^^ Make sure your terrain follows these guidelines:

>513x513
>Grayscale Mode
>One layer
>No alpha channel
>Saved as png

A lot of art programs don't have the option to use grayscale mode, however GIMP does. Which art program are you using to make the terrain?

Also, you said you keep you custom terrains in the terrains folder, which is correct, however you need to be sure you're placing them in the folder that corresponds with your map name. Say you named your map Pridelands and saved it, there should be a folder within the terrains folder called Pridelands, and that's where you'd put the terrain you made for it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 02:06:29 pm by Bloo. »

You are amazing <3

Offline NaiaRulez

• naiafh
    • naiafh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 02:09:19 pm »
Aye, there are several issues that could be affecting it ^^ Make sure your terrain follows these guidelines:

>513x513
>Grayscale Mode
>One layer
>No alpha channel
>Saved as png

A lot of art programs don't have the option to use grayscale mode, however GIMP does. Which art program are you using to make the terrain?

Also, you said you keep you custom terrains in the terrains folder, which is correct, however you need to be sure you're placing them in the folder that corresponds with your map name. Say you named your map Pridelands and saved it, there should be a folder within the terrains folder called Pridelands, and that's where you'd put the terrain you made for it.
YAY! Now works! I think it was the layers problem xD Thanks everyone <3
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 02:16:51 pm by KeyraLioness »

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 05:12:34 pm »
Ok going to lock this thread now since the issue was solved.