Author Topic: Hacking maybe?  (Read 1609 times)

Offline NaiaRulez

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Sorry, did I roll my eyes out loud?
    • naiafh
    • naiafh
    • View Profile
Hacking maybe?
« on: August 18, 2016, 11:13:57 am »
Hey! Maybe this doesn't belong to this section but anyways I had to put in anywhere.
I was with some friends minutes ago RPing in Cherika Valley, and while we were RPing suddenly our characters were saying things that we weren't writing, like we were being hacked. We got scared at first, then I tried to know who was behind that. I double clicked my friend's "hacked" post and it didn't appear me her username, it appeared me another username that was in Cherika too. Here I'll leave a screenshot of what happened.

I'm Khumba, in the chat you can see that my char says: "noobs, leave them Lara, let's go make it out. :)"
I didn't write that, even I don't write like this, tho.
Maybe I'm silly and this is a game bug or something, but I need to clear this out 'cause it's the first time that happens to me and to my friends.

Find me in-game as NaiaRulez

Offline Bloo.

• Space-Child ✌
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 191
  • nyoom
    • Bloopaloozer
    • Bloopalooza FH
    • aLittleProzium
    • Bloopalooza
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Re: Hacking maybe?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 11:19:53 am »
This is indeed a bug, no worries!! It sometimes occurs where other people will be typing under your user without knowing it, or they'll be able to control your character's movements. The simple solution is logging out and logging back in~

You are amazing <3

Offline NaiaRulez

• naiafh
    • naiafh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 11:21:57 am »
This is indeed a bug, no worries!! It sometimes occurs where other people will be typing under your user without knowing it, or they'll be able to control your character's movements. The simple solution is logging out and logging back in~
Oh thanks! I was pretty scared tho xD I just wanted to clear that 'cause I don't want to be reported by saying things "I" shouldn't say in-game just because someone has my chars control xD Anyways, thanks

Offline Shazadah

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • Call me NaruWolf
    • http://shay-wolf.deviantart.com
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/Mid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 11:58:05 am »
Such a bug Bloo described does exist, however I don't believe that is what happened here.

There are a few keyboard tricks some users (even myself admittedly) use in chat and bios and such. These tricks can be used to make a character of another person appear to say something when the original player didn't write it, and another user comes up when the character's name in chat is clicked as you had described.

This is done with ctrl+J and/or ctrl+M, which skips a line in chat and allows a user to type two lines without using enter, which evidently can be used to "pretend" someone else said something by typing your character's name in chat and afterward whatever they want to say. So for example, someone uses ctrl+J (or M) to skip a line to below their name in chat, then they type <Khumba> and any text they want afterward, in the end making it look like real chat as if a character's original player said it themselves.

I do believe this kind of behavior with these keyboard tricks is highly discouraged as it just causes trouble and mostly confusion, sometimes resulting in someone being banned for what their character said when it wasn't really them who said it but were blamed for the crime they didn't commit.

Hope this cleared things up for you.

Offline NaiaRulez

• naiafh
    • naiafh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 12:15:30 pm »
Such a bug Bloo described does exist, however I don't believe that is what happened here.

There are a few keyboard tricks some users (even myself admittedly) use in chat and bios and such. These tricks can be used to make a character of another person appear to say something when the original player didn't write it, and another user comes up when the character's name in chat is clicked as you had described.

This is done with ctrl+J and/or ctrl+M, which skips a line in chat and allows a user to type two lines without using enter, which evidently can be used to "pretend" someone else said something by typing your character's name in chat and afterward whatever they want to say. So for example, someone uses ctrl+J (or M) to skip a line to below their name in chat, then they type <Khumba> and any text they want afterward, in the end making it look like real chat as if a character's original player said it themselves.

I do believe this kind of behavior with these keyboard tricks is highly discouraged as it just causes trouble and mostly confusion, sometimes resulting in someone being banned for what their character said when it wasn't really them who said it but were blamed for the crime they didn't commit.

Hope this cleared things up for you.

Now my time to revenge! Okno, I'm not going to do that xD But that's fun to know, thanks x3

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 03:27:16 pm »
As the lovely users have mentioned above, this is a glitch that some users use, in most cases, because they think that it's entertaining. With this said, we don't have an issue with the glitch itself being used, but it becomes a problem when it is abused and a different person tries to make someone else say inappropriate things and break game rules. If you see this glitch being used harmfully against you, I would encourage you to take a screenshot and send it in to a staff member. These kind of reports can be tricky to show that the person saying nasty things isn't you, however, but here's the best way you can show this (and also be able to know when someone is using the glitch):

In your in-game settings, there is an option that allows you to show both the username and the character name in the chat, rather than just showing the character name. When someone uses the glitch, their character name may appear as yours, but their username will not change. All staff members that I know of use this chat setting when in the game, so you don't have to worry about users being accidentally banned for things they didn't say. Be sure that you get your character's name and username in the screenshot, as well, if you wish to send in a report.

Hopefully this cleared everything up. Feel free to message me or another staff member if you have any questions. I will go ahead and lock this up since your question has been answered. c:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:29:47 pm by Warriorstrike »

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.