Author Topic: Revolution for the Offtopic Literature (and Roleplay Section)  (Read 9368 times)

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
Re: Revolution for the Offtopic Literature (and Roleplay Section)
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 05:34:31 am »
I'm really just not a big fan by how some decide to tackle any sort of effort to make it better, the input box is very well here to let people give suggestions but keep in mind that in the end it's the choice if we want to help.

So when effort, time or energy is placed to sort things for the better, whether it's smaller or big, it's not hard to show some appreciation. The instant we tried to just add a few board I had issues seeing this in the posts made, and there was lack of insight of why some certain actions were taken which I had to explain in my previous post.

The clutter we are trying to sort out, and we are not even getting a mere chance getting a solution that could work for all before it was all talk about stopping or listening to your demands. Even though I have retired my own roleplaying I do care for the whole board and if I didn't consider the offtopic roleplay as something that should be addressed, I'd just continue with never doing anything.

Even the very few words and information I try to post for you here to read it feels like you are putting up a bit of a defensive just because I popped in here. And if I should take one gear below, I never said that you said a lot of child boards would be the solution. I was just explaining the situation. I honestly believe there's other ways to word requests and suggestions, and I would be more willing and have energy to put into the place if people just tried to be a bit more considerate. Now this might not be something about you guys alone in this very thread and the things you want for the section, but the general picture can get very tiresome, maybe even irking.

Now you might not approve of certain changes, you might not even feel like it's a big deal this thread and the posts are completely normal and formal with out most respect, but just as I myself and others try to think about what could make things better for you, maybe just give a quick thought what some certain changes might mean to us, how they would work, what would be needed to go there and how long it would take of gains would come out of it.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline SoaringAway

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 32
  • Ours is the Fury.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 07:34:59 pm »
I know it is your choice (along with the whole moderator class) but yet again thank you for putting in some time.  As into going into appreciation, Red, you are the administrator and just putting out the Off-Topic is something a lot of us are thankful for.

Red, I am sorry to say but I am a bit confused with certain paragraphs. I don't mean to offend you but I don't want there to be anything misconceptions from either party.

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 09:45:40 pm »
I understand where you're coming from, Blacki and Soaring. And, of course, the fact that you guys took the initiative to really bring up the issue of reorganization in the Off-Topic Roleplay section is appreciated, so I commend you guys for that.

As for these two boards in question, Animal/Human Roleplay, I can say that the staff is, in a way, in the same boat as to finding a place to put some of the threads. As you said, there are roleplays that aren't entirely human, or animal, some are a mix, and some are completely different. We understand that. But as Red said, we're trying to limit the number of child boards on the forum, that way it will run smoother and will take a shorter time to load the pages. But, at the same time, we still want to do at least something to help you guys, since you've been asking for some help from the staff for a while, and I think it's rightful to do so. It's a busy, active, and very diverse board.

Keeping the indexing (page loading) thing in mind, though, we can't exactly make a child board for every species or type of roleplay out there-- there would always be some sort of vague mismatch. This said, both of these issues leave us with either
a.) Keeping Off-Topic Roleplay as a single, all-species catch-all board with no organization, or
b.) Having a small amount of child boards with a very broad idea of what goes there.

Of course, option A would mean ignoring the board and the people in it altogether. Which is a No. Nu?
It is a compromise, but for the moment these two child boards are what we have to work with. This said, finding a home for the roleplays within it is basically about finding the closest match, even if it's a final decision on where a thread goes is a little open for debate.
We can't exactly PM every single thread-starter in there about where they would like to go, either, since we're trying to sort them all, and it's very likely that a large amount of them are inactive, or simply don't pay attention to their threads any more.
So, trying to go about it that way would be extremely slow, if it ever got finished.
That said, the staff is moving the threads themselves, and while some don't fit either board exactly, we try our best to put humans/humanoids/human-like creatures/mostly human-based RPs into Human Roleplay, while animal/mostly animal-based RPs/fantasy-creatures into Animal Roleplay.
If they are misinterpretted, though, and the thread starter wants their thread to be moved into the other child board (Human to Animal, or vice versa), then they can PM a staffer, and we can move it for you.

While I personally like your idea of an "OOC/Planning" child board, we still have to wrestle with the fact that an extra child board might be one too many. There's already been some slower loading/indexing on the site, and while one small board might not seem to be that big of a deal, they can add up. Not to mention, Off-Topic isn't the only reorganization project taking place in the forum. So we have to be mindful, as much as the OOC/Planning-based threads don't really fit into a 'roleplay' child board.
For now, though, the best we can do is place these types of threads in the board they're most closely related to, be it an associated roleplay group (in the case of OOC) or based on what they're planning on creating. Or course, if that changes, or they're placed into the wrong board, they can PM a staff member as stated before, and it can be moved for them.

I hope this clarified things for you, even if it's just a little bit.
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||