Author Topic: Newbie-Teacher Program (plz lock)  (Read 3428 times)

DreamerDay

Newbie-Teacher Program (plz lock)
« on: April 12, 2015, 10:24:47 am »
I was wondering. Have you guys ever been to Wolf Quest? If yes, you ever noticed that Newbie-Teacher Program they be having? I mean, I'm not saying we should copy them but I think it would a great idea since we have new newbies who come into Feral Heart and be asking frequent questions. And to prevent that, we simply have teachers who teaches the student about Feral Heart. It can be either Forum only, game only, or both.

Anyway, tell me what you think about this. :D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 02:15:18 am by DelightfulRevenge »

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie-Teacher Program
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 12:44:35 pm »
Personally, I am not too sure it would work out. We do have Game Help and Forum Help sections for people to go to in need of help, we also have Staff around for that kind of help too. Having "teachers" around Feral-Heart in my eyes wouldn't go well in terms of plans. We have Tutorial boards around and the Feral-Heart Manual to give people tips on how to make and create things, how to get around in Feral-Heart and How to Report etc... We already have many, many, many alternatives here that help the people in need when needed.

Like a school of students, each student learns a different way. Some like the hands on job, and some like leaning by reading and so forth. Having a few people around teaching would be nice, but people do this already when the members/"students" ask for help. Feral-Heart is a Game, in which people come to play. Having the idea of the game becoming more like a School could have the potential to drive people away, y'know?

It's a good idea, don't get me wrong. There are just so many flaws to this that could happen if this idea was brought forward, and not many positives other than a couple of people understanding completely how to do certain things.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 12:46:43 pm by Bawfle »

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline Alphabet

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 12:39:00 am »
Or just put a master FAQ post in the help section for whatever isn't already covered. You could link some tutorials in the FAQ post if that's what people are asking about.

Although, I do think this teacher thing would be an interesting idea. But how exactly would we go about getting this program to work? I haven't been to Wolf Quest, so I don't know how they're doing it.

Also, at Bawfle, I'm not sure what you mean by "Having the idea of the game becoming more like a School could have the potential to drive people away" The point isn't to turn this place into a school, it's to give those who are new and seeking help a useful guide.

DreamerDay

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 12:58:04 am »
While teaching is in progress, it's either held in PM or Whisper so no one know what's going on.

Then again, I'm not planning on making it become it a school. They either need to pm or whisper...so yeah..

Offline Alphabet

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 07:16:30 am »
Maybe it would be better with live chat. But then, having both the teacher and student online at the same time might be a little tedious....... Yeah, nvm. PMs would have to do, I guess.

I'm curious to know how many people would qualify to be a teacher. Would a teacher have to know everything, or just certain subjects? Perhaps someone could request a teacher for a certain subject, and that way the teachers aren't pressured to know all of the nooks and crannies of FH. There could be a roleplay teacher, game play/interface teacher, map making teacher, and etc.

Personally, I kinda think something like this would be fun. The only problem might be finding people to volunteer to be a teacher... I myself wouldn't mind being a custom mesh and material code teacher, though.

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 07:58:37 pm »
I've had to watch this topic for some time before I decided to post.

So here's what I think...

It sounds like a brilliant idea. Having a Newbie-Teacher Program would be extremely helpful to the newbie players (which, essentially, the whole idea is about), but we already have the FAQ, Help Sections, Manuals, Game Help, Forum Help, and even tutorials. I'm just not sure that many newbies would even sign up to do it.

The intriguing thing about Feral Heart is the creativity, exploration, and imagination put into the game. I feel like one of the great things about learning how to use the game is figuring out how to do it yourself.

Maybe it's just me, but when I joined the game, I insisted that nobody help me. I wanted to learn to play myself. If I had any questions or specific difficulty, after I checked the manuals, I asked for help or advice. But part of the learning process is learning how to make your own way around the game.

By all means, I'm not saying that help isn't good to give. I absolutely think that newbies should receive as much help as they need, and I think it would be rude to deny them help if they needed a little push in the right direction.

However, this is an interesting idea, and I wouldn't be against it. I'm always looking to help people. I just wonder if it would be hard finding people to join/volunteer.

I guess I have varied opinions about it- but as long as it was helping people, I'd be all for it. ^.^

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline shayy

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 73
  • World Class Shawty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 08:20:13 pm »
hmmm, this would be very helpful. Maybe a new staff title or something to help the newbies who are here for help learning the game. But there are plenty of tutorials for people out there wondering things and such.. (lol that was a horrible sentence) Though i do think it would be a wonderful (and very helpful) tool.
pm for free art i need practice