Author Topic: Ways we can make Feral Heart bolder, popularity wise.  (Read 9155 times)

Offline Abnormally

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
    • http://alienbagel.deviantart.com
    • View Profile
Re: Ways we can make Feral Heart bolder, popularity wise.
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 02:24:54 am »
One thing I don't go a day without hearing is how users miss the old maps. Specifically, Flourite Plains. The way I heard it described was "Too much change in too little an amount of time". Now I'm not saying trash the update, because honestly, it's downright gorgeous, all these new maps, but maybe bring one or two of the old maps back, redecorated, but with the same heightmaps and such, so it's still the same land but better decorated. I'm convinced that bringing one of the most popular maps back, and perhaps removing one of the least-used maps in the meantime would bring a lot more people online. The majority of the stuff around them would still be new, but they could also have that sense of familiarity and home. I know it would take some work to do, but I think it would be beneficial to the community's numbers in the end.

Another thing I really think would help is Buffy's YouTube suggestion. Maybe not in the super near future, because it definitely takes time to set something like that in the professional sense, but having a YT channel wouldn't only keep current users interested, it would bring in a lot of newer users too. Teaser trailers and such give people thinking about joining a sneak peak at what the game is like, and an official channel is bound to get attention.

I cannot agree more. The maps people want back are Flourite and South pole, but all that needs doing is some re-vamping or more decorating to exceed user expectations and to create a better and more fun environment in those maps. The old maps that have been replaced are gorgeous (Bonfire Islands, Cape, Ficho, Lonely cave), so why not bring back Flourite plains and South pole? Keep the hightmaps and give people their happy places back?

All people are asking for are Flourite Plains and South Pole, and they were (other than Bonfire and Ficho) the most favoured places. People want the stone bridge back, the same one as befor, as well as the N/Z, and the N/Z lake. L Island, even. If you need to change the hightmap, change it around, but as long as those spots are the same, people will come FLOODING back. I guarantee.
Agreed. Maybe adding a few more things ; more vegetation to spice of the maps might give it that extra zing. But wouldn't add too much because I know that mainly people have somewhat "abandoned" FH because they miss the two major maps: South pole and Flourite. Honestly I miss those two maps as well.

LineArt (c) Unknown but creds to them.
Colored in by (c) Germinator
Character (c) Myself

Offline Whisperingwaves

• #2FAB4U
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 135
  • #SlainyTheBattleTurkey
    • Whisperingwaves
    • @slainytbm
    • View Profile
    • Kiros
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 02:55:45 am »
As well as fixing up the maps etc, maybe we could incorporate some staff made items to the main edition of FH?
There are plenty of tutorials out there for converting things for FH, and surely the position isn't that hard(off of personal experience of course). This could help some of the users get a small basic item pack to expand off of with the additions available today.

Not only items, but markings. I know some of the markings were redone for the patch, but what about adding on? Some users can't download the mass markings/legendary marking packs due to parents/space/not wishing so etc. But maybe we could add some official FH markings that were designed for the game? I know there are plenty of packs of additional markings out there, but, it would be nice to have a basis of extra marks before you go to download more, y'know?
As well as markings, some updates to the in-game fur textures might give a fresh feel to the game. ^^

As for contests, I think we should bring back the art contest and writing contests that were held in FH's wee infancy. These contests may not have been that popular then(even though some were!), but with the newbies coming in and many older users hunting around for new contests, it's worth a try. I know the staff have a lot on their shoulders, but, contests are always a fun addition.

And lastly, I still agree on the YouTube thing. That could also be incorporated into a contest in a way. User made teasers/trailers could be submitted on personal channels and the winner gets their's showcased on the official channel and so on. This could be a seasonal or yearly contest etc. Not only would this influence users to use their creativity (that this community heavily carries), it would show off features in the game and draw newer people in. This of course is just an idea I had, not sure if it'd work or not.

But basically, I agree with other things said in this thread. Buffy did mention users getting 'bored' which I sorta back. I've seen users attending parties for years and then stopping all together etc. Maybe something fresh would bring this enthusiasm back?

~ Whisper
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 02:57:52 am by Whisperingwaves »

Avatar by Chezdip on Lioden || Signature by Jackdaw ♥
In-Game As Whisperingwaves

Offline Abnormally

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 03:08:45 am »
As well as fixing up the maps etc, maybe we could incorporate some staff made items to the main edition of FH?
There are plenty of tutorials out there for converting things for FH, and surely the position isn't that hard(off of personal experience of course). This could help some of the users get a small basic item pack to expand off of with the additions available today.

Not only items, but markings. I know some of the markings were redone for the patch, but what about adding on? Some users can't download the mass markings/legendary marking packs due to parents/space/not wishing so etc. But maybe we could add some official FH markings that were designed for the game? I know there are plenty of packs of additional markings out there, but, it would be nice to have a basis of extra marks before you go to download more, y'know?
As well as markings, some updates to the in-game fur textures might give a fresh feel to the game. ^^

As for contests, I think we should bring back the art contest and writing contests that were held in FH's wee infancy. These contests may not have been that popular then(even though some were!), but with the newbies coming in and many older users hunting around for new contests, it's worth a try. I know the staff have a lot on their shoulders, but, contests are always a fun addition.

And lastly, I still agree on the YouTube thing. That could also be incorporated into a contest in a way. User made teasers/trailers could be submitted on personal channels and the winner gets their's showcased on the official channel and so on. This could be a seasonal or yearly contest etc. Not only would this influence users to use their creativity (that this community heavily carries), it would show off features in the game and draw newer people in. This of course is just an idea I had, not sure if it'd work or not.

But basically, I agree with other things said in this thread. Buffy did mention users getting 'bored' which I sorta back. I've seen users attending parties for years and then stopping all together etc. Maybe something fresh would bring this enthusiasm back?

~ Whisper
Thank you for your ideas! MAMASLAIN. I have to agree with you on the Marking portion as well because I remember on my old PC I had a hard time download markings people made themselves.

Character (c) Myself

Offline Bloo.

• Space-Child ✌
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 191
  • nyoom
    • Bloopaloozer
    • Bloopalooza FH
    • aLittleProzium
    • Bloopalooza
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 03:16:07 am »
I heavily agree with everything Edo, Buffy, and WhisperingWaves have suggested. Though just to sum things up while adding my own ideas in at the end:

• Bringing back revamped old maps (particularly Fluorite Plains and South Pole) while removing some of the less used maps included in the update.
  • Creating an official FeralHeart youtube channel for the purpose of advertising, community based videos, podcasts, entertainment for members, etc.
  • Updating marking packs/adding more meshes in default folders
  • Adding new contests/bringing back old ones (writing, art, map making, etc.)
  • Bringing back monthly news updates
  • Make up more in-game events for members to participate in

That's what's been said, summed up, the last two bullets being my ideas. Hopefully these get us somewhere, I'd love to not only see the community flourish, but grow! c:

You are amazing <3

Offline turtlies

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 61
  • loves to lurk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 03:16:30 am »
I pretty much agree with everything that's been said. I especially like Bawfle's idea of a podcast, it'd give us more of an insight into the staff members' true personalities and thoughts that usually can't be expressed over text on a forum. Plus, I personally feel like a lot of things regarding updates and the forum tend to be quite... vague and confusing. It'd be nice for a staff member to actually explain what the plans are for FH with an actual voice, at least in my opinion.

As for bringing maps back, I agree. Heck, I'd even like to see revamped versions of less popular maps like Last Cave (so many opportunities for adding in little secrets or easter eggs!) or Atlantis, and I know I've seen plenty of people asking for the old parkour maps back (Sky's Rim, Ascension), too. I'd like to see some smaller maps too, since the new maps are just so large and people are more spread out. I doubt the old Bonfire would have as many of its antics it's famous for if it were as large as some of the new maps. I'd just like to see more of a variety in map sizes, I guess.

I'm not sure how difficult it is to admin social media pages like the Feralheart Tumblr and Deviantart, but I would like to see more of those as well. Maybe Twitter or Facebook? I know there was an official Facebook page for FH at some point, not sure what's up with that, I'm just guessing none of the new staff have access. But Youtube is definitely something that would work much better than Twitter or Facebook for gaining new members.

Overall, just gonna agree with mostly everything that's been said already on this thread. Lots of good ideas going on here.

he/him
bro what if i put my feralheart cave next to yours.. bro what if they only had one flattened bush mesh to lay on and we had to share... haha just kidding... unless...?

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 07:48:04 pm »

I think this is a good idea. Of course, if Staff were to do this, then it would have to be appropriate items and items that could potentially come as a natural thing to what you see. For example; a car item isn't so natural, however, collars are (for canines). I was actually taught by Bloo. on how to convert meshes to objects. I was taught and picked things up in.. what.. a few hours? I haven't learned or bothered to learn object to item yet but it's not really on my priority list right now lol.

I also learned how to create animations for Feline and Canine models within a matter of 6-7 hours? Of practising, as I was personally taught by Skywheel? I think? Or others who contributed to the tutorial on DeviantArt. So is staff were willing to learn new things, if they feel they want to make the necessary effort to, then I see this happening. They don't have to, and if they feel someone with better experience should do it, then that's okay too! It's also not shameful to ask experienced users to do that certain thing for them, or even other things they Staff are not experienced in or willing to learn themselves. You may have seen none-staff had contributed to the patch, such as xRuby1234x/Plox, as she worked on the new animation replacements.

I know some of the markings were redone for the patch, but what about adding on? Some users can't download the mass markings/legendary marking packs due to parents/space/not wishing so etc. But maybe we could add some official FH markings that were designed for the game? I know there are plenty of packs of additional markings out there, but, it would be nice to have a basis of extra marks before you go to download more, y'know?

All the same things go for Markings. Though, it does get a little tricky as the markings could get flooded. When you try to choose your markings the box, it will skip a few as you scroll, as the box is quite small. The patch that was released in Summer 2016 was mainly to fix-up things and make markings that Staff made so that users could use them in presets. Reason being, Nala_91 (the creator of the old markings of FH) didn't really permit that. Plus what's the point in adding other markings when Staff need to ask what markings you want to see? Whether it's tribal, patternful, hybrid markings, maybe complicated designs.. it's all future stuff really! There wouldn't even have to be a hoard of markings, maybe 8 new markings per patch or something, and then people can install other people's markings if they so wish.

As for bringing maps back, I agree. Heck, I'd even like to see revamped versions of less popular maps like Last Cave (so many opportunities for adding in little secrets or easter eggs!) or Atlantis, and I know I've seen plenty of people asking for the old parkour maps back (Sky's Rim, Ascension), too. I'd like to see some smaller maps too, since the new maps are just so large and people are more spread out. I doubt the old Bonfire would have as many of its antics it's famous for if it were as large as some of the new maps. I'd just like to see more of a variety in map sizes, I guess.

Personally, I don't feel all maps should be brought back, but mainly the maps such as; Flourite, South Pole, Atlantis and Ascension, but all "re-vamped/re-decorated/object improved". The maps that have already been re-done are; Bonfire, Ficho and Cape. In my opinion, they're absolutely breath taking and far better than the previous versions. Even a few maps such as Kiwimbi, Eastern pass and Zama grotto are just as breath taking and gorgeous. I just feel users are missing their favourite maps (Flourite, South Pole and Ascension) and their favourite locations. I'm sure users wouldn't mind if areas were re-created, but so long as the certain areas such as; the Stone bridge, N/Z, N/Z lake and L Island go un touched?

Thus tailoring things to please both Staff and general members.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 07:53:44 pm by Bawfle »

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline Abnormally

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 10:46:31 pm »
I feel like these are really good ideas but thing theses should be held or thought of for maybe a future Feral Heart update. Since the new update is still decently new. Because we don't want to rush staff members in any sort of way. But I  feel like some of these idea's could be created.

Character (c) Myself

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 11:00:56 pm »
I feel like these are really good ideas but thing theses should be held or thought of for maybe a future Feral Heart update. Since the new update is still decently new. Because we don't want to rush staff members in any sort of way. But I  feel like some of these idea's could be created.

Oh, of course, but it's best to layout and give them something to go by/base off sooner rather than later, yis?

Offline Abnormally

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 11:26:47 pm »

Oh, of course, but it's best to layout and give them something to go by/base off sooner rather than later, yis?
Yes indeed. I think it would be unique if maybe just to kinda brainstorm is maybe some of us sketches out things we could add to maps that were most commonly used. Just to kinda give the staff and members an idea and maybe more ideas would pop up.

Character (c) Myself

Offline Bawfle

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 11:43:13 pm »
Yes indeed. I think it would be unique if maybe just to kinda brainstorm is maybe some of us sketches out things we could add to maps that were most commonly used. Just to kinda give the staff and members an idea and maybe more ideas would pop up.

Gotcha!

Well I can tell you surely that Staff are very open minded and are very creative when it comes to environments. They especially take thought into account about areas in the game. For example; places like Kiwimbi Beach, Zama Grotto, Bonfire, Eastern Pass, Cherika... all maps really, have PLENTY of role-play spots to prevent users from 'Spot' claiming. Old maps didn't really have many places, as they were all very open environments. But with the new ones, roleplays have plenty of locations to go to and enjoy, which is fantastic!

I personally see no issue in the ways the maps would be decorated/created as many were built from the finest map makers on the Staff Team (Red, Ally and Sura [with SeasideGrove]). The Staff are perfectly capable of doing that, though I guess it doesn't throw any harm in requests of areas? I think they'd only be accepted if it was a popular request.