Author Topic: "____ has arrived!" Can we have a setting for this?  (Read 7789 times)

Dogdev3

"____ has arrived!" Can we have a setting for this?
« on: February 09, 2011, 04:41:25 pm »
Alright, I know I'm not the only one who feels this way - lots of people are requesting dimensions, etc. Well, for me, my game doesn't lag too terribly from the amount of people - moreso, my problem is the "____ has arrived!" "_____ has left!" "_____ has disconnected!"

This is terribly annoying, especially when trying to RP or just chat with some friends in Group chat. Even when you turn off all the other chats, and the 'Actions' tab (which I originally had hoped was for these annoying messages), you still get spammed by the little orange messages. So far almost every RP I've attempted has been ruined by this. If I have to brb or something, or even if I look away for a moment, I am almost instantly shut out of the RP (as in I can't post), because I missed the last message.

My idea is actually a bit different than others' about this...

You know how you can turn off various chats - General, Local, etc.? Maybe when you turn those off, the messages associated with them go off too. For example, if you only have Local on, you'd only see people who disconnected near you or whatnot. And if you only have Group chat, you'd only see your group's messages.

Whaddya think?

Slovenka

Re: "____ has arrived!" Can we have a setting for this?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 04:44:08 pm »
Yeees omg yes. xD

I mean, it's not a TERRIBLE, "oh my God I will die if this doesn't stop" problem for me personally, because I can of course scroll up, but the messages, complete with other's chats move so fast I often miss what people have to say to me!

So yes, rambling aside, I adore this idea!

Offline Kyugima

• Dovahkiin
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
  • Koo Koo Kachoo
    • View Profile
    • DropJaw
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 04:45:36 pm »
I like that Idea!
Because that way you know when those you are RPing with have left! The arriving and left messages really get on my nerves as well. You'll be trying to talk to someone and their is a sudden burst of those messages and you can't keep up with the last parts of the convo, which can get on the nerves for sure.

please click here! Help me raise my pokemon!
Signature: Kyugima, Rimfrost, Deafosho

Offline Sarine

• ~The Mysterious Cupcake or TMC~
  • Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 57
    • View Profile
    • Meep Home
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 06:54:26 pm »
+ 1 agreed.
Simply because of the reasons stated. Win chat is this is going to be added. <3

TealSkeletore

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 09:58:17 pm »
Here's an idea. The 'has arrived' messages should only show your friends. When you first walk into a map it will say:

Rak$ha has arrived.
Delay has arrived
Kirsui has arrived
7 other players are here.

Then there can be a new menu, except that it shows everyone who is in the map, their username and their character name. There can be a nice new little icon at the bottom for this menu like all the other ones.

Then the chatbox will show every time some one from your friendlist arrives or leaves, but it won't show other players that arrive or leave each time.

Then in the options menu you can change this. Just check the box that says 'Show all player arrivals in chatbox'

Whaddya think?

Offline Painful

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
    • vencentio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 10:20:12 pm »
I like that idea, Teal. Maybe an option for 'friends' and 'arrival text'. Disable the arrival text (orange text) and you only get the, lets say, red text showing your friends arriving.

It is pretty annoying, especially since you can't scroll up because the scroller gets so sensetive when it saves up all the messages. Maybe it could even start to clear some of the top messages after a certain time period. Or say the max is 50, and then it goes to 51, the 1st piece of text is cleared. Or something along those lines, anyway XD

But yes the orange text is annoying. I was curious to why it didn't have a setting to disable it in the first place?

12dollars

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 10:58:51 pm »
They probably didn't think it would spam up the chat that much. I do like the friends only have their names appear as arrived as it would also help to know where your friends are.

WindzLaLa

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 03:59:05 am »
I am enjoying the ideas. ;)

Dogdev3

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 04:10:11 am »
As am I. And I hear you about the scroll bar... That's part of the reason the arrival/leaving spam frustrates me so much. I CAN'T SCROLL UP... :C

Twiliac

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 04:10:34 am »
Alright, I know I'm not the only one who feels this way - lots of people are requesting dimensions, etc. Well, for me, my game doesn't lag too terribly from the amount of people - moreso, my problem is the "____ has arrived!" "_____ has left!" "_____ has disconnected!"

This is terribly annoying, especially when trying to RP or just chat with some friends in Group chat. Even when you turn off all the other chats, and the 'Actions' tab (which I originally had hoped was for these annoying messages), you still get spammed by the little orange messages. So far almost every RP I've attempted has been ruined by this. If I have to brb or something, or even if I look away for a moment, I am almost instantly shut out of the RP (as in I can't post), because I missed the last message.

My idea is actually a bit different than others' about this...

You know how you can turn off various chats - General, Local, etc.? Maybe when you turn those off, the messages associated with them go off too. For example, if you only have Local on, you'd only see people who disconnected near you or whatnot. And if you only have Group chat, you'd only see your group's messages.

Whaddya think?

Lol, made a thread about this a bit ago in fact..

Clicky.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 04:15:12 am by Twilia »