Author Topic: Map Maker Unresponsive *Solved*  (Read 1821 times)

Offline Krimzen

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
    • Furaffinity
Map Maker Unresponsive *Solved*
« on: November 06, 2013, 06:31:45 pm »
So, I've come back to FH after a long hiatus, and thought I may as well make a new map to lurk around in. I've done this dozens of times before and never encountered a problem with it.

I made my heightmap in Photoshop CS3, all on one layer, and ensured that it was a 512x512 greyscale png image. Save it in the terrains folder, enter game, and attempt to load it. FH then goes non responsive and eventually crashes.

So, I converted it to a bmp and then back to a png. Same problem. Okay, maybe it's photoshop?

Make a super simple 2-tone map in gimp, one layer, 512x512, greyscale, png. Attempt to load it in game, and the problem persists.

I've had no other issues with the game after getting things set up to my liking, and even with a -raw- unedited download, it couldn't load the maps. I read through Delay's map maker issue post multiple times and followed the instructions to a t, but with no success. What did I do wrong? .-.

Edit: I'm also running this on a new desktop, stats are as follows;
Processor AMD FX-4100 Quad-core processor
RAM 8GB
64-bit OS, x64-based processor
OS is Windows 8
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 12:15:02 am by Krimzen »

Adorable icon by Outputt on FA <3

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
Re: Map Maker Unresponsive
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 06:39:04 pm »
Try looking here: http://www.feral-heart.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=2&jfile=index.php&topic=1391.0

Delay has shared with us many problems to why your glitch might be doing this. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline Krimzen

• View Profile
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 06:43:46 pm »
Try looking here: http://www.feral-heart.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=2&jfile=index.php&topic=1391.0

Delay has shared with us many problems to why your glitch might be doing this. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

As stated, I read through that post multiple times, followed all instructions, and none of them fixed the problem, which is why I'm asking here .-.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 06:53:12 pm by Krimzen »

Offline DimensionGal

• The Poison Dragon's Tainted Lily
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 80
  • aka Kerrigan the Mapmaker
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 08:04:38 pm »
Map Maker is a horribly picky tool to use sometimes, and requires doing some backflips and demonic rituals on occasion.

May I suggest the following:

1. Open your heightmap in one window
2. Open one of the "default" heightmaps from the Terrains > Default folder. (A default heightmap like "Watermill" for instance.)
3. Go to your heighmap, press CTRL + A and then CTRL + C
4. Go back to the "default" map and press CTRL + V (aka paste your map onto a new layer)
>> ^ It might ask you to convert your heightmap into some new format, click "yes"
5. Delete the "default" layer, so that only your map remains as a layer
6. Right click on your map's layer and select "flatten image" (optional)
7. File > Save As... Then you simply type in whatever your heightmap's name is and click save

This SHOULD work. I know that when my heightmaps from scratch don't want to load into FH, copying the dark magic of one of the default maps usually does the trick. :3
?Mapmaker serving 16,700+ Feral Heart users?

Offline Krimzen

• View Profile
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 12:11:41 am »
Map Maker is a horribly picky tool to use sometimes, and requires doing some backflips and demonic rituals on occasion.

May I suggest the following:

1. Open your heightmap in one window
2. Open one of the "default" heightmaps from the Terrains > Default folder. (A default heightmap like "Watermill" for instance.)
3. Go to your heighmap, press CTRL + A and then CTRL + C
4. Go back to the "default" map and press CTRL + V (aka paste your map onto a new layer)
>> ^ It might ask you to convert your heightmap into some new format, click "yes"
5. Delete the "default" layer, so that only your map remains as a layer
6. Right click on your map's layer and select "flatten image" (optional)
7. File > Save As... Then you simply type in whatever your heightmap's name is and click save

This SHOULD work. I know that when my heightmaps from scratch don't want to load into FH, copying the dark magic of one of the default maps usually does the trick. :3

After trying this several times with different maps, map maker now functions correctly, thank you! xD
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 12:14:39 am by Krimzen »