Author Topic: [Site / Game Improvement Idea] Bring in the Mentors  (Read 1467 times)

Chaotic

[Site / Game Improvement Idea] Bring in the Mentors
« on: May 27, 2011, 03:41:23 pm »
Has anyone tried yet to help boost Feral Heart's ever increasing lack of grammar, use of text talk, and the never-ending loss of paragraph roleplayers? I am here to present my idea to the friendly staff of the site and to all of the members out there who think their roleplaying could use a little bit of tweaking or more.

I have noticed lately that the roleplaying abilities of the site have dwindled and taken a fall for the worse. I can't make people learn if they don't want to, and I can't teach those who are oblivious to what they need help in. So here I am, calling out to the community. Let's get together and do something about this! I would like to introduce Mentoring. Personally, I think it should be an actual team on the site. Of course, they don't need to have any staff-related powers, but if you had a team of great roleplayers who are willing to help others learn to be great roleplayers as well, wouldn't that help increase the communities roleplaying abilities? Of course, such people would have to have something I like to call, the Roleplay Academy. It would be a form where the Mentors would rule, and with the help of this they can post up threads to teach, critique, and more.

Not only on the forums do we need help, but in-game is where we need it more. Now, mentoring in-game can be a pain, but if the community sees that it is working, and is willing to learn themselves, it will help the community as a whole. Now, I know I seem to be repeating myself endlessly, but do you see my point? :3 Just having one person on the chat who is helping out a person here and there isn't going to be enough. Helping new members, dealing with bad roleplayers, helping out with starting a roleplay, critiquing someone's work, showing someone how to roleplay (even for the first time!). All of these things are what mentors can do to help the FH community. Alas, I cannot do this on my own. So, will the staff hear me out? :D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 03:55:07 pm by Chaotic »

Offline Kyugima

• Dovahkiin
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
  • Koo Koo Kachoo
    • View Profile
    • DropJaw
Re: [Site / Game Improvement Idea] Bring in the Mentors
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 03:50:31 pm »
  I just have a off topic suggestion. I can't read your post, the colour is too dark. I get the basics of what you meant from what I could pick out, but it would make it easier to read.

please click here! Help me raise my pokemon!
Signature: Kyugima, Rimfrost, Deafosho

Chaotic

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 03:55:35 pm »
Removed the color. Hope it is easier to read now. (:

Offline Kyugima

• Dovahkiin
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
  • Koo Koo Kachoo
    • View Profile
    • DropJaw
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 04:14:19 pm »
  Hmmm... As good as mentoring those who lack Roleplaying ability would be, the issue is we can't teach people if they simply don't want to learn. I like it, but it wouldn't do too much in the way of educating people in the ways of better RP. But it could be a start. But those who do want help do tend to contact people any way...

please click here! Help me raise my pokemon!
Signature: Kyugima, Rimfrost, Deafosho

Offline NuclearParadox

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • The Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 08:19:13 pm »
Well.
This would certainly be a better alternative for me.
As in, you know, morally better.
Than, say...making fun of bad rpers.  All the time.
It is so hilarious when-
Ahem.
Yeah, I think this would be a good idea.  Likely to take off?  Eh, 50/50 chance.  But, if it does, it could really be beneficial.
In-game I am NuclearParadox.

JazzForLife

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 10:24:55 pm »
I'm not exactly sure what to say here, pardon if my point wavers a bit.

Hm. I do like the general idea. But perhaps there wouldn't actually be a team, I don't really see the need for that.

The the person who needs the RP training joins a couple of RPs with expierenced, or 'great', roleplayers, I think that would be enough training. Practice is really what it's all about. I'm sure that when you started out you were about as good as those who need help now. I certainly was. All I needed was a couple of years, and I am a expierenced roleplayer.

I guess what I'm getting at is this: They don't need a team, they don't really even need lessons. What they need is practice. Let them join an advanced/intermediate roleplay. They will catch on eventually, that's how every great RPer came to be now. So again, I see no need for a team or any sort of lessons. Let them learn off the more expierenced roleplayer's post.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 10:32:25 pm by Jazzz »

Chaotic

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 05:15:36 pm »
@*Kyugima*: I know that those who want to help already have started doing so, but I was bringing the idea to those who want to help, but can't think of a way to do so. The idea is based around the fact that people want to be helped. I mean, when I was a measly sentence roleplayer, I did want to learn from the better roleplayers to see how they did it. But referring to what Paradox said, most good roleplayers can't even fathom the idea of sentence roleplayers getting sucked into their roleplay. They don't want to RP with them, and thus they can't learn.

@Jazzz: Referring to what I already said, people aren't going to learn if they can't roleplay with those better. I have seen a similar system like this work on a site with 30,000+ members fabulously. But then again, the people on that site didn't object to help. As a roleplayer, yes we will learn from those who we roleplay with, but what happens when we split up into cliche's and don't roleplay with one another? Then the sentence roleplayers really are left in the dark with no where to look for help.

We may not exactly need a team, but someway to distinguish a mentor from another member could be helpful. That is of course, if this idea even does pick up. I guess we will just have to see. (: