Author Topic: Rats: Filthy sewer monsters?  (Read 3500 times)

Offline moonshimmer100

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
Rats: Filthy sewer monsters?
« on: June 05, 2013, 03:06:42 am »
Hello, I am making this because I have noticed recently how many people hate rats simply for being rats. For example, I have pet rats now and they are so sweet and loveable not filthy or diseased at all, When I first asked my parents if I could get pet rats thier first reaction was "Eww why do you want  rat? why can't you get a hamster or a gerbil instead?" and they would always get this crinkled up face and speak in a disgusted tone. It's like they pictures the sweet cuddly animals I wanted as filthy diseased vicious little monsters. After i suckered them into the idea they turned out loving the rats! they are constantly going into my room to see them and hold them. Them, they didn't know a thing about rats until they had met one. So lots of people stereotype rats to be filthy unworthy creatures that need to be killed, simply because that's what they've heard! It upsets me that everytime I take my rats out for a walk people say "Ewwww it's a rat!" "Eww look at it's ugly tail!" "Why do you let that thing live in your home!" "why did you get rats? they bite and they're filthy!" no rat deserves such terrible rumours spread about them, they're very intelligent and cute little things and they can make extremely loving pets when domesticated. So why do most of us humans hate rats without having ever known really a thing about them? I guess my question here is what is your opinion on rats? do you think they're cute or do you think they're filthy pests that must be exterminated? I'm quite interested to see what the FeralHeart community thinks of these animals.
Hello random person! ^_^

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
Re: Rats: Filthy sewer monsters?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 03:26:53 am »
Pet rats are very cute little creatures in my opinion. Pet rats don't have disease stuff, people!
Rats are cute and handsome creatures. Bigger than mice, smaller than rabbits. They are cool.
I know some things about them, in fact I've seen a pile of baby rats in a pet store (kinda a pet store) before. Cute little guys. Or was that mice... I remember it as rats.
Wild city rats are a bit disgusting, because they are the ones that have disease as I've heard.
Pet rats are completely different. They are good pets I'm sure, and I don't think they should be treated as hated sewer creatures.

So, I have to agree. I honestly don't mind rats, I hear the pets bite a little bit, and I've had bad experiences with being bitten by a rabbit... But I honestly don't mind them.
They are good creatures. Well, I guess I've made my point. Post over. ^_^

Offline moonshimmer100

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 04:11:05 am »
Pet rats are very cute little creatures in my opinion. Pet rats don't have disease stuff, people!
Rats are cute and handsome creatures. Bigger than mice, smaller than rabbits. They are cool.
I know some things about them, in fact I've seen a pile of baby rats in a pet store (kinda a pet store) before. Cute little guys. Or was that mice... I remember it as rats.
Wild city rats are a bit disgusting, because they are the ones that have disease as I've heard.
Pet rats are completely different. They are good pets I'm sure, and I don't think they should be treated as hated sewer creatures.

So, I have to agree. I honestly don't mind rats, I hear the pets bite a little bit, and I've had bad experiences with being bitten by a rabbit... But I honestly don't mind them.
They are good creatures. Well, I guess I've made my point. Post over. ^_^
I'm glad you can see them in a good light ^_^ Pet rats rarely ever bite, mine never have. If you really think about it though, is it really the wild rats faults that they have diseases? they aren't evil they just aren't so fortunate, but yeah I see your point :).
Hello random person! ^_^

Offline sparticles

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 51
    • http://spartay.deviantart.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 09:37:04 am »
In my opinion i love rats, they are so cute and quite intelligent. I don't see why people judge them they're not much different to a gerbil in my eyes, but people like gerbils and not rats? iv'e always wanted a rat but i have cat so i guess that't not possible, but my parents don't like them the thing i always tell them is you cant judge a rat because of the city type ones that carry disease etc, and they ones they buy from a pet store are a lot cleaner and don't carry diseases. In my eyes a rat would be a better pet than a rabbit, gerbil or hamster. All animals bit so why say a rat 'always' bites when really they don't, they are quite friendly creatures and people who judge them should try owning one and then see if they still hate them.
All in all i don't mind rats and i think they're very cute, intelligent animals and shouldn't judge on what they're heard about them. They are really good animals and maybe better/more interesting then most pets you can have. Anyway i think iv'e got my point across and will stop muttering on.
Discord: Most active here, DM me for it.
DA Account

Signature: ImmatureGirl on DA.

BouncyLion101

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 05:42:21 pm »
I admit I do not like rats when they are not domesticated and are living out in the streets, they get really aggressive because they need to survive without the help of humans.
But rats that are pets are kind of cute, I like them and don't have any problem with them. They're just like any other pet and all have different personalities so I think people judging them for being a certain species is just insane.
It's like being..specist. Racist, but with species.

Offline zRichtofen

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 19
  • yeen here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 01:59:56 am »
Its like they don't love Splinter... XD.

Anyway, animals are animals. They have they're features that makes them special and have skills to find food. Like the Chupacabra has blood-sucking abilities to suck blood from goats. Thats what makes them speical.

Rats have very good skill to hide easily from predators. And would they be DISGUSTED if you wanted Jeff The Killer as a pet? YES. COME ON, ITS THEIR CHOICE.

this is a double bass not a cello
feral neighborhood discord mod

Offline Miles101

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • Praise Helix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 03:33:05 pm »
I ADORE rats, and rodents in general. I find them cute, clever, and interesting. Like any animal you find outsider, they're wild and aggressive, which is normal. Domesticated rats are adorable and fun to watch, and you can teach them loads of stuff.

Offline unnbrellas

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 68
  • "fight me" i scream from under my bed
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 02:33:07 am »
I love rats. I currently have two, and at one point had four. Ive had a total of 15 ratties over the year. Im sick and tired of the people who get caught up in the stupid rat stereotype (or any stereotype). They never bite unless you basicly leave them no choice. Once my sister accidentally ran over one of my rats tails with a rolling chair (Its tail was bleeding) And you know what it did? It squeaked and ran on on her lap. The never bite. They dont carry diseases if their well breed. Their tail is a tail. Get over it. Rats have helped test new medicines. In they wild they can be aggressive but are still amazing. In the wild they have higly socalized packs. Thats why when you have a pet one your supposed to have two rats so they dont get lonely. A rat left alone with no cage mate and is scarcely played with can become depressed. Wouldn't you?

Sorry for the long post. I love my ratties <3

Formerly MochaCocoa; Find me ingame as ErikaFishhy!
Signature by ???????????�??

Offline moonshimmer100

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 07:37:33 pm »
I love rats. I currently have two, and at one point had four. Ive had a total of 15 ratties over the year. Im sick and tired of the people who get caught up in the stupid rat stereotype (or any stereotype). They never bite unless you basicly leave them no choice. Once my sister accidentally ran over one of my rats tails with a rolling chair (Its tail was bleeding) And you know what it did? It squeaked and ran on on her lap. The never bite. They dont carry diseases if their well breed. Their tail is a tail. Get over it. Rats have helped test new medicines. In they wild they can be aggressive but are still amazing. In the wild they have higly socalized packs. Thats why when you have a pet one your supposed to have two rats so they dont get lonely. A rat left alone with no cage mate and is scarcely played with can become depressed. Wouldn't you?

Sorry for the long post. I love my ratties <3

I think you just officially became my best friend.. xD I love rats. I have two females, they are so loving! If you wouldn't mind answering a question, can you tell me what some good games for rats are? Mine tend to be a bit picky, Lily will play the bobbing for peas game, but my other rat won't and they don't care for toys or anything. I find they never want to play or do anything but explore and get treats. Sorry I'm getting off topic here, anyways you're amazing. I'm glad I was able to find another rat lover here ^_^
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 07:39:26 pm by chewy »
Hello random person! ^_^

Offline Abomine

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 41
  • I'm that weird chick who's obsessed with deer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 05:16:58 am »
I love rats. Domestic rats are some of the sweetest, cleanest pets a person could have, and I respect the cunning and resilience of wild rats, keyword respect. Wild rats are just as ferocious and dangerous as any other wild animal, so you won't find me trying to snuggle up to a New York city sewer rat anytime soon, any more than you'll catch me trying to hug a Russian timber wolf. 

To Isengard! To Isengard!

My deviantART