Author Topic: A Little Idea...  (Read 3168 times)

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
A Little Idea...
« on: August 10, 2013, 05:54:25 am »
I've been getting sick of seeing all the roleplay and group threads when I click on the "Show unread posts since last visit" button. Literally, it takes up like the entire thing! I don't like seeing them, they don't interest me, no offense.

So I was thinking, what about an option that would allow you to only see what you want? Like, an option saying "Hide all posts from *dropdown menu of categories*" on the side when you click on the Show unread posts since last visit button? It might help some users, if they wanna hide the forum games, help threads, any of them. It would remain like that until you said none in the dropdown menu.

Meh, just a suggestion, I'm not sure if it would make a difference.. but I would like to see this ^^ Opinions? Ideas?

~Devynex

Offline Whinp

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 50
    • View Profile
Re: A Little Idea...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 07:05:21 am »
That would be a good idea. I don't use much it, but yeah. :o

In-game name as: Whinp

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 03:22:22 pm »
Hey, I like this idea, heck, I hardly ever use it at all and I like the option idea you came up with, it could be a better alternative. :)
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline kiaz1st

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 44
  • The Rogue
    • kiaz1st
    • kiaz1st
    • kiaz1st
    • View Profile
    • Kiaz Site
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 03:37:28 pm »
I would love this idea. I have been wanting to hide the forum games, as I don't really join in with them any more (Shoot me if you wish xD)

Offline Warrior4ever

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • Muffins. Oh yes... I went there.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 06:15:03 pm »
I actually would enjoy this function, as most of the time group threads do take up about half of each page. I can work around them, and I do, but this would make it slightly easier.

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 06:19:17 pm »
Oh, I would love that. o_o I completely understand you. No matter how much I ignore them it still gets a bit annoying and blocks out some topics I might want to see for the heck of it.
Happened to me before, but gladly I saw it though quite a while later.
I really hope this becomes part of the forums along with a registration timer Kijiako thought of.

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 11:31:45 pm »
I hope they can add this, they added the spoiler thing recently, I think I saw it was suggestion. Also as Hugrf said I would like to see this along with Kijiako's registration timer.

I didn't think I would wake up to this many replies... *dies*

Also another idea I had was, where if you look at the bottom of certain pages, you see this:

What about clicking one and being able to see all of them in that category, listed from newest to oldest? Like you might not be able to find some threads you have posted in.. so you can just click the topic you have posted in button. Meh, just another idea I guess. o3o

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 01:20:26 am »
I don't really think it's possible, even though we can like SMF for the structure it brings on other parts, I believe it is very limited on the "unread" and "recent" part of the forum. It's probably really just how this very forum works in general, and I'm not certain if there's any mods/addons that you can install that modifies it in such a manner as suggested here.

The "show unread posts since last visit" is really nothing at all as long as it's not clicked. The unread posts is throughout the forum since your recent visit whether it was posted in or not, newest thread and post ontop older the further down, it's there as a general forum function for those who want to just see the newest content.

The option below is for you and your threads you have replied or posted in. It will only show the threads that you actually replied to and nothing else, newest thread on top here as well.

I can admit, and other users has been pointing out this before, that once you have posted in a thread once, and people keep posting in it, you will not be able to "unsubscribe" from this in the "Show new replies to your posts" which would be handy, but sadly that's how it works.

With that as an exception however, the rest is fairly easy to understand and get by, and bear in mind that the first option "Show unread posts since last visit" is not personal, the same content is displayed for everyone since it's about the newest threads  and posts on the board. If you want a personal list you check the "Show new replies".

Hope this helps out.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 01:54:19 am »
I know what the two buttons do, no need to tell me what they do. I'm not sure if you're understanding what I'm saying, or I just don't understand what you're saying. I'm not saying an unsubscribe button, just a button that will hide the threads, that I guess you haven't posted in.

I understand that you might not be able to add much to the forums/website due to, I believe it was made with the site maker.. createaforum or something like that? I forgot the name. I read the Spoiler Tags thread, the only way possible to do this would to be with mods, and I respect that you want to keep the forum as lagless/free of mods (gawd I think of words XP) as possible. But then it makes me wonder what mods are out there.. *wants to look x3* I really didn't know how much you could do with the forums/website,  I'm sorry.. I guess... :P

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 11:32:38 am »
Well you seemed quite lost in your post so I wanted to inform you and cover as much as possible to ensure why it's there.

What you pretty much are asking for is for a function to exist for a certain reason, to be partly hid away to loose it's main purpose. The structure of these functions are fairly basic and if you wish to hide away "some" of the threads in these it's kinda missing the whole point why it's there.

Since the first one as explain, is for all new content on the board, hiding these away would be rather pointless since new threads will arrive as soon as anyone make a new reply to it. If you hide away some of the threads even though there's new posts in it, it wouldn't be "show unread posts since last visit" as the function is called.

The second one are for your threads and your replied threads, and as mentioned an unsubscribe function is pretty much "hide" in your case.

Hope you understand better now...
Former community manager of FeralHeart