Author Topic: Floof-O-Meter  (Read 2145 times)

Offline OreoHeroz

• Taco-Hat
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 142
    • View Profile
Floof-O-Meter
« on: August 31, 2013, 12:18:38 pm »
Before I say anything else, I would like to mention something to the MODs: Feel free to lock this topic if needed. I don't want to offend/hurt anyone. (Not sure if this topic will. =/)

Alright, onto my topic. So today, I would like to discuss the Floof-O-Meter. Yes, the Floof-O-Meter is when someone gives another person a floof for being kind, helping them, making them art, etc. But lately, I've noticed some user's Floof-O-Meters going up each day. So I'm either wondered, "Maybe that user is doing something nice each day?" or "Is someone secretly giving themselves floofs everyday?" So, yeah. Like today, I logged on and didn't see I had another floof until now. It is nice to have someone give you a floof secretly when you log on, but everyday? I mean...I think (in my opinion) it's best if you earn your floofs instead of just giving yourself floofs for whatever reason. You feel much better when you've earned your floof. Like you just ate a whole piece of cake by yourself. (Which will give you a stomach ache, so please do not try it.)

It is nice to see your floof-o-meter going up, but if you give it to yourself for no reason, then what is the point?

So, what are your opinions on this? What do you think?

This is my first topic here. So please do not post anything offensive nor rude, I would like to keep this topic clean, appropriate, and legit. And also, please do not point fingers at any user or mention their name.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 10:52:16 pm by OreoHeroz »

Offline duna the killer

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 35
  • Vacationing 28th - 4th, You all are amazing!
    • View Profile
Re: Floof-O-Meter
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 12:36:08 pm »
I haven't seen a topic like this until now ._.

Floofs are like medals. You earn them by helping other peeps or simply by giving someone some art. Not that I am saying if you do these things everyday you will get tons of floofs. But some people make like 20 other accounts, act like they have nothing to do with owning them, and when no one is looking will double their floof-o-meter. I am not saying it's bad to have other accounts, but sometimes people go overboard with it, and floof themselves for no reason, unless to show off how much their floof-o-meter grows every day.

I mean, it's ok to have like 1 or 2 other accounts if you want your friends to have one or something, but if you just do it for the floofs, that is just wrong.

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 12:36:52 pm »
The idea is that people earn floof by being helpful, kind, generous and other nice things. If someone thinks a person has been any or all of those things then they nuzzle them. But maybe there are some people who just nuzzle people just for the sake of giving them floof, and that may be a reason as to why some peoples' floof-o-meters increase everyday. I don't know if this is true or not, or even if there's anything we can do about it other than encourage people who are able to use the nuzzle function to use it appropriately.

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline OreoHeroz

• Taco-Hat
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 142
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 12:44:18 pm »

Floofs are like medals. You earn them by helping other peeps or simply by giving someone some art. Not that I am saying if you do these things everyday you will get tons of floofs. But some people make like 20 other accounts, act like they have nothing to do with owning them, and when no one is looking will double their floof-o-meter. I am not saying it's bad to have other accounts, but sometimes people go overboard with it, and floof themselves for no reason, unless to show off how much their floof-o-meter grows every day.

I mean, it's ok to have like 1 or 2 other accounts if you want your friends to have one or something, but if you just do it for the floofs, that is just wrong.

I agree with you, Dunastar. Sure, I have about two other accounts, but they're just for different characters. I mean, what's the point in floofing yourself with other accounts? What do you get from that? Fame? More floofs than others?

The idea is that people earn floof by being helpful, kind, generous and other nice things. If someone thinks a person has been any or all of those things then they nuzzle them. But maybe there are some people who just nuzzle people just for the sake of giving them floof, and that may be a reason as to why some peoples' floof-o-meters increase everyday. I don't know if this is true or not, or even if there's anything we can do about it other than encourage people who are able to use the nuzzle function to use it appropriately.

I can admit that I was like that. I didn't know what "floof" meant when I could nuzzle people, so I randomly clicked a MOD's floof-o-meter. When it went up, I didn't know what it meant.

But I do hope people do understand the meaning of "floofing someone", instead of taking that chance and using it.

Thank you for the comments, Duna and Flob! I appreciate it.

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 01:26:39 pm »

One of the reasons that people can only use the nuzzle once they get to Junior Member status is so that people who do have multiple accounts can't 'cheat' and give themselves floof from those accounts. But even this isn't fool proof since they can easily get themselves up to junoir member status by posting on the forums.

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 02:58:02 pm »
There's been many modifications throughout the time on how this karma function should work. Things like the name itself, being able to both bite and nuzzle, the period between nuzzles given and posts required before nuzzles can be done.

The most effective as mentioned above is that you need to make a few posts and become a Jr.Member before you can use this function, this.. To learn a bit more first and get used to the forum and just not nuzzle for the sake of nuzzling, but as always stated before, not everyone will grasp why the nuzzles are there and just see it as any other treat, and people do like their treats.

Yes, it's still possible for a user to just go and nuzzle themselves by making an account and post some on the forum, but another thing is also that if you have a close friend that do not care too much one way or another how it's used, they could very well nuzzle up another user just as well as they could themselves. But as we've mentioned before in the past, the nuzzle is really there for you yourself, as much as a higher nuzzle count can affect others seeing your posts on the board and cause them to look a second time, there's not really an actual forum benefits you gain from having a higher, or lower floof count. Yet to this day I still believe that someone who's gotten lots of nuzzles from people all over the forum, will be more proud over that particular floof number, rather than someone that so considered "Cheated" their count up, if they feel accomplished then all we can do is let them because this kind of usage is not why it's here.

But this issue, of possibly users providing themselves nuzzles in one way or another, is a very mild thing considering the setup of the old karma function, and improvements done from now on I doubt if they will be that much more of improvements. One thing that could be done is to make the post count level higher before you get access to the function yet again, since it's still very, very, easy to get access to it, but it wouldn't really stop users from still doing what this thread was about as I'm sure you understand.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline zady

• I BLAME RAZ!
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 56
  • DJ Rin
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 06:48:10 pm »
personally i got rather excited when i got my first nuzzle XD

then a few minutes later i got another....then another..
then this morning i got another and then cri gave me one

honestly i dunno what they were all for apart from maybe cri's, i made her some art.

but i like getting them because i'v done something, or someone feels they luff me enough to give them to me for being a nice person.

MESH edition
Preset & marking edition

Feel free to pm me for help!