Author Topic: How to Add a Texture to a Mesh in Blender 2.49  (Read 9074 times)

AlphaEclipse

How to Add a Texture to a Mesh in Blender 2.49
« on: June 23, 2014, 12:50:57 pm »
How to Texture Objects in Blender

(Geez Alpha your spamming the tutorials >_> I'm making complete new tutorial so more people will see it- not everyone will see it in one giant tutorial thread. lol)
 Hello everyone! I have heard many people have been having trouble adding a texture to their mesh in Blender, so I'm going to show you how. Big thank you to Ingredient for getting me started with this! ;)

1. (Note that I am already guessing you have your mesh ready, and you are using 2.49.) First, select your entire mesh by clicking "a" and then click num1 to go into a new view. It will look something similar to this.

2. Deselect your entire mesh by clicking "a" again and use the box tool ("b") to select the vertices near the center of your object so when you unwrap your UV, that's where it will split. With the middle sides selected, click Ctrl + e and click mark seam. This is what it will look like when you have done both steps.

3. Next, you will want to click "a" to deselect and click "a" once more until all of your mesh's vertcies are selected. When in edit mode, click "u" on your keyboard, an a list of UV options will come up. Simply click "unwrap." You will not see a difference until the next few steps.
4. Next, drag your mouse somewhere along those red lines on the image below and you will see your mouse's image change into a double sided arrow. When you see that happen, click your mouse's right hand button and click "split area." You'll see a line going across the screen that you can drag. Wherever you want your screen slipt into another veiw, click the left mouse button.
(drag mouse here)

(you'll see this come up on your screen)

(when you selected where you want your split to be, you'll see another view of your mesh)

5. Next set that split's mode into "UV/Image Editor."

(You will see this. See your UV? :) )

6.  Next, on your new screen, go into "UV" >> "Scripts" > "Save UV face layout" and save it to your desktop.

7. You'll see a little file popup on your desktop, or wherever you have saved the .tga file, with is basically a texture file. Open it in Gimp, Photoshop, or any other image manipulating program you can think of, and color it in! (I'm using Gimp for this because my Photoshop doesn't want to work with these. >_> <_<)
(Simple crappy texture, yes I know. xD)

When you're finished, overwrite your already-existing .tga with this new, colored one.
8. Go back into Blender and in the UV screen, go into "Image" > "Open" an open your .tga file.

9. Almost done! Go back into your 3D mode and while in edit mode, change the mesh's viewport shading mode to "textured." You'll see your texture appear!

10. Now, while still in edit mode, go into the shading panel > material. Click "add new."

11. Select "TexFace." This links the material to the mesh.

12. Click F12, and you'll see your object rendered!

After this, you can export your mesh!~ Have fun!

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 12:16:32 am by AlphaEclipse »

Offline cozyyote

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 19
  • owo what's this?
    • cozyyote
    • cozyyote
    • @cozyyote
    • View Profile
    • Telegram Art Channel
Re: How to Add a Texture to a Mesh in Blender 2.49
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 12:36:23 am »
Dis is helpful, even though I don't know enough to do that. :D

Offline Insoholic

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 152
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 01:48:52 pm »
Oh, this will be very helpful for this guys who want to do this. ^^ Good job, hun :3 +floof

Signature art by Kynvuu

Offline shayy

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 73
  • World Class Shawty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 01:50:07 pm »
Thanks Alpha!
+floof
~Shay
pm for free art i need practice