Author Topic: Is advertising on the forums effective?  (Read 6603 times)

Offline FOXHOUND

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • V HAS COME TO
    • onegun
    • @OO1GUN
    • View Profile
Re: Is advertising on the forums effective?
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 02:37:52 am »
advertising in game has always garnered me Plenty of members > it's easy to link them 2 info through group bio links as well.  basically anything with a kind of organisation (especially the forum you host your group on!) will efficiently get your points across and give more details i think? i could answer a lot of questions about the group w/ a simple redirect to "go read x or y board on forum to know more".  it's simple and gives as much understanding 2 ur potential new member as advertising on these forums here, imo.

& advertisements on the forum have never gotten me far all tbh? it sounds a bit Weird but u can emulate the info that an advertisement on this forum might give with your rps seperate forum (or just a google doc tbh) they both work just about the same. People In Game are looking more for in-game rps i think? anyone using the forum is probably more interested in doing things on the forum, yknow  - thus the off-topic rp section, where a lot of people thread.  in-game just garners a much broader and more interesting response i think u get me? it definitely tops forum in pro v. con comparison!

" HE EATS TO ABANDON PARADISE! "

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 03:21:28 am »
Good point. You said "Now if the group hasn't been around or posting for years, that's a different story." That's what I mean. I feel like when a  leader goes inactive as well, there is no way they can take an action to do anything and people keep thinking they're around.

Here's an example I found (scroll to the bottom);
http://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=51699.10

Exactly, yeah! Any sort of indication would be perfect for that.

& advertisements on the forum have never gotten me far all tbh? it sounds a bit Weird but u can emulate the info that an advertisement on this forum might give with your rps seperate forum (or just a google doc tbh) they both work just about the same. People In Game are looking more for in-game rps i think? anyone using the forum is probably more interested in doing things on the forum, yknow  - thus the off-topic rp section, where a lot of people thread.  in-game just garners a much broader and more interesting response i think u get me? it definitely tops forum in pro v. con comparison!

That's the way it seems. And it does sound weird considering the forums is a great candidate for hosting that type of information. As you said though, a Google Docs or something along those lines works just fine if you don't need any super fancy layout or anything.
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline TwistedSorrowzz

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 36
  • The one and only Pongo
    • RonnoBoy
    • Faline
    • TheBlairWiitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 03:48:43 am »
I've always seen many successful RP groups not use the forums to branch out their RP.
Take Pride RP's for example, Many Lion RP's don't use the forums to advertise, And they do very well in gaining members.

But as Grace said, Groups could have gone inactive and not said it if they made a forum post. So if someone sees a RP they are very interested in, And it's closed, They're most likely going to be very upset. As it's hard to find a RP for certain people.
But then again advertising on the forums can branch out to people that would have missed people recruiting in game.
On leave.
Information Regarding Wirhonte
http://i.imgur.com/Sm35ntA.png

Legendary~Grace

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 04:31:13 pm »

I honestly would of never thought to use Google Docs, that's a really good idea for people looking to share links without the whole site. Interesting! To me personally, I'd stick to a forum or site just because I find that you can expand a whole lot more and go into detail with your roleplay.

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 07:04:58 pm »
Recently, advertising for a roleplay group in-game seems to be the more "effective" way, since that is where the majority of Feral Heart players are looking. If no one knows that advertising for groups is an option on the forum, most will probably resort to advertising in-game, especially since most people playing the game are playing, well, the game. c:

A few months back, the roleplay boards were a bit more lively in terms of advertisement, but I still see users advertising for roleplay groups on the forum. I think it depends on the type of group, too; for some roleplays, it might make sense to advertise in-game without going through all of the hassle of making a forum advertisement.

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline Whisperingwaves

• #2FAB4U
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 135
  • #SlainyTheBattleTurkey
    • Whisperingwaves
    • @slainytbm
    • View Profile
    • Kiros
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 09:55:46 pm »
Honestly, I think it is a 50/50 effectiveness. There's some perks to forum advertisement while there's also cons. Not all FH users check and use the forums frequently or at all, but, there's also some that do. Personally, I find forum advertising as a secondary alternative to advertising in-game, as the game seems to be a bit more popular as for gaining members than the forum as of recent. Not to say that the forum hasn't been effective.
Many older groups or larger groups may have better luck on the site, or groups with boards on the advertising section, while smaller groups might not have that upper hand.

But yeah, honestly, I think the forum is more effective for larger groups than smaller ones in the talk of advertising, while the game may be more efficient for gaining members.

~ Whisper

Avatar by Chezdip on Lioden || Signature by Jackdaw ♥
In-Game As Whisperingwaves

Offline Klipspringer

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • D'aw, I need wings...
    • View Profile
    • about me
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 11:20:52 pm »
I personally don't feel that the forums are too effective. I have pretty bad luck, I suppose, but in the past I've barely gotten any members for my roleplays from the forums. It kinda makes sense, not only that the forum is less active as was pointed out previously, but that the child boards seem to hold most of the attention in them.

Offline Enoki

• Herba Chronographus
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
  • Who lives in a portabella under a tree?
    • FantasyFungus
    • EnokiTheDryphon
    • Enoki_G
    • View Profile
    • The Realms of Yugure
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 01:18:53 am »
I find it very helpful to m'group- especially while I am away from the game. I've found it helpful to 'ave a tab on FH that I can send users to in case of questions or if they wish to register at a later date. That way, even if they want to sign up while I'm offline, they still can and I can tend to their form.

Although, as ye've said above, that 'tis much more beneficial to recruit in-game, there is still a plethora of users who will come across y'er ad on the forum and join. Even though they may not join right then, it may make them think to do so later and find ye in-game.

Tmw you planned a ten minute nap but instead took a whole year.
☙Icon by dA JRProducts; Sig by PocketMutt❧

Offline barghosts

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 21
  • free pizza for life
    • chewgags
    • chewgags
    • coffeemo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 04:23:07 am »
i can't say much because i haven't been in an RP for well over 2 years hah
but i like to think that if people can't find a RP group that meets what they are looking for at the current time, they'll look towards searching the forums until they find what they had in mind

KERMIT IT'S NOT A COOKIE