Author Topic: Limit how many people can be on default maps at a time  (Read 4574 times)

Offline dharma

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 9
    • View Profile
Limit how many people can be on default maps at a time
« on: January 14, 2011, 06:28:27 am »
From what I understand, too many people on one map caused the server to run out of bandwidth.

Well, to prevent this from happening in the future, a limit on how many people can be on a default map at a time may work. If the limit is reached, people who attempt to warp to the map will stay on the map they are already on.

So people do not log in all to the same default map, here are 2 ideas to disperse the population:

1. Choose what map we would like to join, along with the current population of that map. If it's full, we won't be able to choose it. Harder to implement, but would be easier to join friends and such.
2. Send us into a random map upon logging in. Easier to implement? But, I imagine people aren't going to like this one.

I know, this is also a bad idea, here are the pros and cons of it:

Pros:
1. Server shouldn't run out of bandwidth for the reason of too many people on one map.
2. Mods would not have to keep asking people to move to another map.
3. Performance might be better since less people = less lag for those of us with older or less powerful PCs.

Cons:
1. People won't be able to meet everyone, only those who happen to be on the map they chose.
2. Meeting up with friends in default maps can be hindered.
3. People may not get to explore certain maps due to them being full.
4. If Cape of Distant Worlds is full, you won't be able to enter your custom maps. ~ Delay

Please suggest other pros and cons.

Personally I am not for or against this idea, I just wanted to throw it out here.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 08:53:36 am by dharma »

Offline Delay

• yeah but Red took me to Prom
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 128
    • delayni
    • annoyingdelay
    • View Profile
    • Delayni on DeviantART
Re: Limit how many people can be on default maps at a time
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 06:52:52 am »
Good ideas.

One problem is: Say the Cape of Distant Worlds is full. You won't be able to enter your custom maps.

Perhaps a way to select entering your custom maps could work, but I don't think that would be added, cuz it'd just be simpler to enter the Cape. But you never know :P

Offline dharma

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 08:52:25 am »
Yeah that is true, I'll add that to the cons. Thanks.

12dollars

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 09:53:46 am »
it'd be nice if on the list of what world you want to go to it shows how many friends you have in there, so instead of going to a random world, then finding where your friends are and going to them, you can go to them straight away. I really like this idea Dharma ;]

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 09:59:28 am »
Maybe I have completely missed how bandwidth and servers work.

I thought It would be the same amount of bandwidth that needs to be taken care of for the server if every single player was in one map, as if they were scattered all over the place but I was wrong. lulz.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 01:31:10 pm by Red »
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Shiro

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 11:29:44 am »
Doesn't bandwidth consume more of itself when you have custom games such as FH? I heard they will consume more if there's that variation for players and characters :S

Offline Tripwire

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
  • Bamidele Lions Of Dodoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 08:05:03 am »
Adding on to what other people have said, you may never be able to get into a particular map and with 4500+ players the limit would have to be huge and there may not be enough maps yet to divide the load equally :x

Themiles

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 07:18:28 am »
I'm not sure about the whole bandwidth thing, but I remember IT having different "Dimensions" that way people could meet up in there and have the map for themselves. Does that anyhow help with the problem? That way, you could just scramble the people into an other dimension of the map, so that they don't clog up the maps.
Like I said, no clue if that helps in any way ^^,