Author Topic: What is Your Favorite Part of Making a Character?  (Read 4491 times)

Offline Crusoe

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 17
  • Top Kek.
    • View Profile
    • My Github Page
Re: What is Your Favorite Part of Making a Character?
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 01:12:39 am »
I like to choose my color and choosing markings!

Offline forks

• tiny silverware enthusiast
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • icon by reudiart
    • soupforks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 05:10:08 pm »
Hard question lol. But I do like doing the markings, colors, and items. Manes and tufts are fun as well.

signature by g0thic_vibes1

Offline rustheart

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 76
  • Elbows are just arm knees.
    • RustyMcRustFace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 10:46:44 pm »
In presets or just a normal character I love the colors at the end.  I hate finding the markings because I got mass markings and there is way too many.
"I'm a kitchen sink, you don't know what that means. Because a kitchen sink to you, is not a kitchen sink to me, okay?"
Snow Shoe
Drawn by Aviru

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 12:38:09 am »
I'm gonna be that one floof who strays from all the others 'n say in the backdrop, "My favorite part about makin' the character is namin' the character, thinkin' up of a personality for 'em, a history to support said personality and their beliefs/whatever they may come to do as I role-play them out, and other miscellaneous psychological traits. While I do thoroughly enjoy makin' the character's overall appearance as well, I end up really sympathizin' with my characters once I actually give them a few morales and endurements. Learn about them instead of seein' 'em as simply a pretty paintin'."
gone

Offline Berrymutt

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • Huge Critical Role nerd
    • Berrymutt
    • berrymuttbb
    • Berrymutt
    • NickBerrymutt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 08:24:30 pm »
Usually I don't make Characters very often anymore. But when I do I put alot of thought and planing into thus Characters. It usually starts out with A Character I adopted off of DeviantArt or just a Character I thought all on my own. I love choosing the Colors and if they would have any time of Items on them. Another thing is their Story, what they would do if they had A plot to follow, etc. Another thing I love is to choose out names. If I can't choose a name that I like then I usually go to some Baby Naming site to see what I can find. One thing I find that is just as important as their Colors, Items, and Name is What kind of Animal/Species they would be. I also love Making Half Breeds of certain animals to see what I can find/create.

Avatar made by Ziboe. Signature Made By DOG-BOWL On DeviantArt.
Discord: Berrymutt#0225
Twitch: Berrymutt
Download My Presets

Offline Wolfypuppy

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 08:18:04 am »
I love trying to choose more variety of colors for my new characters when I'm creating one,as I'm not pretty good with making my characters' Bios.
A little brown there,green for the eyes,etc...

Not really the black and gray colors,y'know? (No offense,but I'm just a little tired of that design) I think putting an unusual color to the character adds more uniqueness to it. Though I have black characters, I'll not create one black character for a while... I think I have enough.

A good example of one of my attempts at colors is Clover,one of my canine characters. I based her colors on mint and chocolate ice-cream (Because why not? uvu),and she turned out pretty good! With the markings and items she's even more adorable! I also love how I didn't choose the normal wolf ears for her. I chose the hyena ones instead,and she turned out even more pretty by that in my opinion. So,it's safe to say it was a very successful attempt! ^u^
I've quit FeralHeart,and I'll probably not come back. Sorry.

wolfdog01

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 11:15:57 am »
Tough one...I think my favorite part is the first tab, the body type one. I love trying to figure out what I like best on the animal, inculding the tail. Yeah the markings and colors are fun as well but I just adore making big animals with certain unique qualities. Like Maxwell, he has a flat bridge for his nose, there is not a dip in front of his eyes, and for Thyme her tallness is higher than her length and width

Offline Derpiederp

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • I can't feel sorry for you.
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 11:31:56 am »
My favourite part is totally writing the bio cx I just love to tell about my characters to other people.

There is a thing that hurts more than pain. Most people call it sadness.
Profile pic by me~
In game as Derpiederp
My deviantart is TheScorpionQueen
Feel free to check it out~

Offline TouchOfMadness

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
  • "Tommi"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 12:20:51 pm »
I really like this topic! Well, I would say that my favorite phase of the character creation process is technically not a part of the actual process itself. My favorite part of making a character is designing the "blueprints" of the character. This is especially true in preset making. I first pencil-sketch a simple generic wolf shape on paper, then add tufts and/or any distinguishing physical characteristics, and then I just go all out with markings! :3 Another part of the process I enjoy is, as I believe Vespian said before me, is coming up with names for my characters. I usually name my characters after historical figures, Latin words, or simply words that I find appealing. Once again, great topic!
It's been three freakin' years and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Neowulf

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • Somewhere, in an alternate universe...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 06:18:30 pm »
This topic, much yes.

In any case, my favorite bit... ohmygodican'tpick. I find that roleplaying the character some after finding a basic personality archetype imprint sort of thing like "The Five-Year-Old" or the "Now I'm Here, Now I'm Not" is helpful in developing the character's personality by making the character have grudges, deathwishes, et cetera.
What I personally like to do is take a song, for example, "This Is Halloween - The Nightmare Before Christmas" and base the character off the song or off of a line in the song. So, what I did with my most recent character, was I based him off of a line in said example song-- "I am the Who when you call 'Who's There?!'" to be specific. That was my goal for the final character, but I found roleplaying a mischevious daredevil was not the way to get there-- So I made him a five-year-old-who-was-never-really-bullied-before kind of critter. And now he's got a deathwish against a Nidorina who looks more like a Nidorino than anything.

Now he's troubled, thinking eating meat is unnatural and gross. He's about to get to the point where he becomes carnivorous and has no choice BUT to eat meat. Poor child-- He really wants to show the Nido who's boss on the inside, but is finding it difficult to finally succumb to pure instinct and show her what for.

I'm sorry about rambling, I can't help it-- I just get too catch-uppy when talking about my characters.

Art gallery
[Find me in-game as Neowulf]