Author Topic: Map installers  (Read 1568 times)

TealSkeletore

Map installers
« on: March 11, 2011, 10:36:51 pm »
Soooo.. I was thinking. When you download a map with loads of extras like new meshes, new textures, etc. don't you think it's annoying having to folder them all and put them all in the right places manually? That's why I'd think it would be cool if there was some kind of installer which puts all the map files in the right places for you.

For those who've downloaded Feralistic, you'd know that it has it's own installer and you don't need to put any of the new textures and files into the game yourself.

So that's when I thought of this idea. When you press 'export' on the map maker, it would collect all the files and put them in an installer, then you could just upload them to mediafire or another file sharing website and other users could just download it. Then all they'd have to do would be press a few buttons, set the location, and the installer would put all the files in the right places.

I don't know if it's even possible though since I don't know how that kind of thing works.

Thoughts?

slycan

Re: Map installers
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 10:59:53 pm »

TealSkeletore

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 01:17:09 am »
Woah cool x3

Offline Halopromise

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 32
  • [Insert witty text here] <3
    • View Profile
    • Twisted Fury Pack Reborn
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 10:41:14 pm »
Yes please, great idea. I have so many items I've created, terrain textures I've made and Misc Mats, it just takes for ever to make sure I got it all in. When I make a map downloadable I'm always nervous I missed something and check back 100 times because the zip so big. And everything goes who knows where some times.
Halo ~ Queen and creator of Twisted Fury Pack Reborn.

http://TwistedFurypackreborn.wetpaint.com/
- All animal RPG | Over 2000 members | post - apocalyptic | Fantasy

Offline Sylph

• ? Ninja Time ?
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
    • View Profile
    • DrA
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 09:36:55 pm »
Map installers would be a wonderful idea. It would be very helpful and easier for users new to downloading a map.