Author Topic: Bonfire Island  (Read 28440 times)

Offline Nyla

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • Christian prejudiced.
    • View Profile
Bonfire Island
« on: April 13, 2011, 03:58:32 pm »
This has been bugging me for ages- What's the point of Bonfire Island? More specifically, what's the point of having it as the 'Default'? It's small, it's boring, it's frankly rather ugly, the only portal goes to Ficho Tunnel, which is slightly more interesting, but really REALLY long, if you're trying to get to Fluorite Plains. Once you get to Fluorite, it's another run acoss the map and through the water (beware the headless lions!) to Cape of Distant Worlds. NOW you can get places! Of course, you probably don't have the same maps as your friends, but that's okay! You can always hang out in Fluorite with the wolfaboos and noobs and rapists! No? Oh well, your loss. But wait, what's this? Map glitching? Fell down a hole? No portal out? Never fear, Home Point is here! ...Aaaaand you've neglected to change it to Fluorite or Cape. Back to Bonfire Island we go! Better hope you didn't leave your friends in that map. You did? Oops! time to run back through Ficho and Fluorite and Cape once again. Maybe this time you'll remember to set your home point.

So let's face it. Does ANYONE like having Bonfire Island as Default? Raise your hands. I'd like to see your reasoning.

I didn't really want to make this my signature, but... this thing is scarily accurate.

FoxfangPitbull

Re: Bonfire Island
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 05:15:16 pm »
No-one minds it. I like it since I can go into secluded corners and hide.

Offline Blush

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 10:30:23 pm »
Bonfire is probably the default and so plain because it is easy to load... so should be plain. With all those people hanging out there though, who shouldn't be just sitting there, it doesn't really serve its purpose though. XD I think it was meant to be an easy spot to load when you start up the game or after you encounter a bug that makes your computer wack out.

Offline Sylph

• ? Ninja Time ?
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
    • View Profile
    • DrA
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 11:05:05 pm »
I see nothing wrong with Bonfire Island. Sure, it's small and sometimes laggy, but hey, it's nice! You can always change your home too, you know. ;) I mean, when you're not stuck in a rock, etc.

-post was not meant to be rude-

Offline GemWolf

• Avani's Ninja Agent
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 191
  • play rain world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 11:25:39 pm »
I honestly hate Bonfire. xD I have my home set in the Tunnel.
It just pisses me off how most people are too lazy to move out of Bonfire and reduce the lag. I mean seriously, I've seen Red and Rak TRY and clear Bonfire before, no one would leave, then after I saw no one leaving, I left. It's ridiculous how lazy some people are. >.> But that's me. My own opinion.

Offline Blush

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 11:38:28 pm »
I actually had to make a video tutorial on how to leave Bonfire... because people didn't know how. >w<

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 11:38:32 pm »
The points you bring up here about the running is not something that I have any bigger problems with. But!

I don't like having bonfire island as the default map at all.. And there's several reasons to it. I'm actually sortof annoyed by it.

Lets get things straight first, I do not mind the having to reset the homepoint that much, neither do I mind the running or the looks of bonfire, it works ok.

But bonfire, and the general layout of reaching the other maps in the game right now, it's rather... bad if you ask me. Sure, something to put in consideration is that the maps were probably rushed aswell, and that they aren't supposed to have alot of crap loaded into them, but still.. It could have been done so much better in my eyes.

I shouldn't probably mirror all the old IT and how it used to be, but that default map there, it was something that should've been used as a frame for a new FH Default map to be honest even though it was simple.

It was a little more area to move on since it wasn't just a round island, there was more height differences, and a more complicated heightmap in general with small bumps every here and there, hills, ditches and not many, but nicely placed trees and shrubs. Even 1 small waterfall. It was easier to reach other maps just because of more portals, and the need of a "fast travel function" wasn't even big then.

Bonfire is round and smaller, it does pretty much just have one hill with a den ontop, it's not as intresting nor is it fun to be there a longer time. The 1 way out of bonfire is also "sortof" a minus. Alternitives is never wrong.

I'm rather positive if someone just put down some time on making a lil bigger default map with atleast 3 paths to choose to leave from, some more smaller hills, bumps, well placed trees n shrubs, ditches etc. It would give the whole game a new appeal to be honest. Doesn't have to be anything extreme really. This would be gold to be. Ofcourse, having a 3 route start map is probably not that easy either since the version now doesn't even have that many maps. But as mentioned, changes in the future if possible?

I'm sure I have told a few I know already how I'm not pleased with the layout of the maps right now, and I really really hope that the starting map and the layout of how to reach the rest of the game maps will be changed in the future. This doesn't cut it. But it's not like I would die if it stayed this way, I just wish for it to be different.

I'd actually want to make an "unofficial default map" just because it's possible and maybe someone else would catch the drift of what I'm thinking.

The starting map (default, bonfire) is actually the starting map afterall, it's the place everyone will see as soon as they get on the game, and it will be a gathering spot wether people like it or not.

Sorry that I might just talk about pointless things here, but if there's something I'd want more than the actions that existed in IT in FH, it's a new layout for the standard maps and the starting place.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline Blush

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 11:52:19 pm »
Maybe there could be a contest for a new Bonfire Map and members could help create a new better map. I am not sure who is in charge of the maps, but I have seen members who can make something ten times better than Bonfire, even with the default low-poly items.

TealSkeletore

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 11:59:13 pm »
^ We actually might be having a map competition but the chance that it will be the new default is low.

Offline Emberflame

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 27
    • WatcherMagic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 12:08:25 am »
i like Bonfire island as a default, and if you set your home to cape or the plains, whitch I made the mistake of doing, how do you get back? Theres a waterfall in the way!