Author Topic: Minor Preset Changes [Suggestion]  (Read 2189 times)

Offline turtlies

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 61
  • loves to lurk
    • View Profile
Minor Preset Changes [Suggestion]
« on: March 06, 2017, 03:24:48 am »
I've been making some presets, and I've thought of a few small ideas that could be added in the future to make preset making a little bit easier. These are EXTREMELY small, I understand these aren't game-breaking issues or whatever lol. Mostly just stuff that would help new preset makers... and also lazy ones like me xD

• Add 'Equip' code into all materials by default

As of now, only presets 11 and 12 have the code for wings added into them by default. Of course, it's entirely possible to add in the codes to the other presets, but I think it'd be a just simple change to have them added into all of the files. I've noticed that its sometimes led to a bit of confusion and misinformation about if you can have wings for other presets, and it won't really affect anything if the wings are actually used or not yet the code is still in the file.

I think that MAYBE the mane fix could be automatically applied to all the presets as well, though I'm not 100% on this, as it does require one extra not-so-obvious step to have the manes be... not blocky. But it'd still be a bit of a time-saver for preset-makers.

• "References" folder revamp

I think it'd be nice to add more stuff in the references folder. A simple FAQ and basic preset tutorial would be pretty helpful for people who are new to preset making---just things like "What is a preset?" "How do I make a preset?/What programs do I use to make a preset?" "How can my friends see my preset?" etc. Maybe even a little guide on how to do very basic preset coding, maybe just like transparency and changing the file extensions or something. More advanced coding like ambience, scrolling, etc. could probably be excluded, but just the basic stuff would be fine.

Perhaps an update to the legends (the images that show where parts of the UV correspond to on the model) in that folder? I mean, they get the point across, but it seems like maybe they could be a bit... cleaner? I don't know, might be a bit of a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" sorta thing, just figured I'd suggest it.

And one last thing---add manes to the references folder. It just feels nicer to have all of the preset stuff in one place, instead of having to navigate to the textures folder to get the manes. Just a copy of the mane shade and mane mask in the references folder would be coolio. And then perhaps the whole blocky-mane thing could be explained in the readme and make more sense.

That's all I can think of for now... again, just minor changes. I guess I'm just throwing these ideas out there, I'm not sure if they'd really be implemented. (Btw, none of these should require the source code, to my knowledge)

Actually one more thing, I just happened to notice it while going to post this thread: Maybe that "Mega Action Idea Thread" thread should be unstickied from this board? I don't see much of a reason for it to be stickied anymore, especially since its locked and no longer relevant.

he/him
bro what if i put my feralheart cave next to yours.. bro what if they only had one flattened bush mesh to lay on and we had to share... haha just kidding... unless...?

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
Re: Minor Preset Changes [Suggestion]
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 03:28:11 am »
These are some really great suggestions. All of them! ^^ Thank you for bringing these up. These are simple changes to make and would honestly be very helpful in the long run!
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline VortexAlive

• Eevee Knight
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 180
  • A wild floof has appeared!
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • View Profile
    • VortexAlive is Rawrsome
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 08:14:01 am »
Agreed, thanks for sharing this! These all seem like simple things to change and would help a lot when getting started and just making presets in general. They also wouldn't need source code either so this can actually be done!

Very good idea! :D
For the sake of my own health and interests, I've left FH and I won't be looking back.

Offline barghosts

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 21
  • free pizza for life
    • chewgags
    • chewgags
    • coffeemo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 12:37:04 pm »
this would indeed be really helpful for future references!
it's a real hassle going through the forums whenever you don't know how to code a preset a certain way, so a little first-time guidance at the start would be a great benefit
may even get more people confident in preset making

KERMIT IT'S NOT A COOKIE

Offline sanrio

• Grumpy Overlord
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 108
    • kiyatii
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 05:04:58 pm »
I agree 100% with you on the mane stuff.
I've had so many problems with it and can't get manes to loof fluffy.
Overall some great suggestions.

Avatar by byambyy | Signature by rykerclawss

Offline Astraea

• ❤ Positivity ❤
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 186
  • previously esarosa
    • Esar0sa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 07:47:50 pm »
I don't usually make presets, but I used to way back when.
All of these suggestions, Tork' seem really useful and helpful to the community preset makers!

I enjoy the idea also of another F.A.Q in the reference folder as well, as it may nudge those who are just starting out with preset making! Thank you for making this it could help in le future!
<333
not active here anymore ♡

Offline MyEngriish

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 03:04:35 pm »
    Your suggestions are great!Im a l azy guy too i understand you x3
It would help the starters a lot and since i'd want to learn how to make presets it might help me tho

Summeralla

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 09:25:18 pm »
I completely agree.

Better and improved preset marking would be nice for FH 1.15 :D I really hope the staff considers it.

Offline Avani

• Slytherin
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 241
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 09:40:46 pm »
These are some excellent suggestions, Torskite! There are many preset makers around
as well as people who wish to start making them, so this would help many!
A FAQ in the reference folder would have been amazing, it is definitely something
that can be done. Including the basics would be very helpful too as it would make
it easier to find the information you need. I would also love to see cleaner
remade legends, I always have a hard time with those. Once again, great ideas!
Small changes can really help a lot!

Offline turtlies

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 61
  • loves to lurk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 07:39:18 pm »
Thank you guys for the support on these ideas! <3

he/him
bro what if i put my feralheart cave next to yours.. bro what if they only had one flattened bush mesh to lay on and we had to share... haha just kidding... unless...?